Anyone researched handheld video players?

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Just wondering if anyone has researched the little hand held video players such as zune and the other 2 or three you see out there. Any reasons to go with any particular one?
Thanks!
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    iPod.
    Agree.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited January 2007
    iPod Video certified refurbs available on Apple website. 30gb is 193.99 total including tax and shipping.

Just got mine tonight...really cool it is.

Get them while they are still available. The refurbs sell out quickly.

Comes with a 1yr Apple Care warranty and all accessories.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited January 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    iPod.
    Disagree.

The screen is too small. Unless you are wanting to download tv shows and movies, the iPod isn't that good for video. Look at Archos, good stuff, large screens, not expensive and can be a DVR with an attachment. http://www.archos.com/products/video/index.html?country=global&lang=en

There is also Cowon which has been known for higher quality audio than most PMP (portable media players). The A2 is widescreen and even has USB host capabilities so you can upload things from a USB source (such as pictures off of a digicam) without the need for a computer. http://www.cowonglobal.com/
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited January 2007
    but is it as simplistic as an ipod? i would say NO.

the thing that some people don't seem to understand about the iPod - sure it has its flaws but the iPod is made to be simplistic. Its not made to have a chock full of features. Its made with one thing in mind: to play and manage music in the most simple form and unfortunate for other mp3 player manufacturers - it works and people love it.

it also looks better... :)
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited January 2007
    POLKOHOLIC wrote:
    Its made with one thing in mind: to play and manage music in the most simple form and unfortunate for other mp3 player manufacturers - it works and people love it.

EXACTLY. Music, not video. I have an iPod and since getting one, I have decided that when it is time for a new PMP (more than likely after my warranty runs out and it breaks again) I will not buy another one. Cowon has always been on my list to look at. But, simplicity does not matter for me and looks aren't that important - I only use it in my car.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2007
    I have the 30gb ipod and I love it for music but video is not the best. After a while of watching video your eyes will start to get screwed up. When I first got it I downloaded the latest pirates movie and by the time it was over and looked around everything else was a blur. It took a good half hour for my eyes to come back to normal I watch video podcats but there only 20 to 30 minutes so its not to bad.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited January 2007
    Other than playing with demo's at stores I don't have first hand experiance with them really but I've heard the archos ones are pretty nice. Much bigger screen with an archos than ipod, but yes it's a little more complicated to use than an ipod.

I have two pocket pcs and they work very very well for video. My dedicated ppc, ipaq h4150, with a 2gb sd card is awesome for watching videos. It's also great for using on my home network so I can just stream any video from my computer onto it (seems to handle 300 - 500kb/s just fine) as well as having 14000 songs at random from any hot spot. Keep in mind a slower pocket pc will not fair so well when it comes to watching video. My phone, an ipaq 6365, running at 168mhz just isn't enough to play videos unless they're very small or bad quality. The 4150 at 400mhz (can overclock to 597) works perfectly. The 3.5" screen is good for watching movies and tv. Yes, it's only 320 x 240 res but with a well encoded video it looks really good.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    My iPod is great for me, then again if I want great PQ, I'm not going to be staring at a 3" - 5" screen all day. I bought many a music and video player and ended up with an iPod when it was all said and done. It's the easiest to use and most versatile music and video player on the market.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    Finally decided to go with the Creative ZEN Vision:M for $169 from Newegg. I'll let you know what I think of it. Looked at all the ones mentioned in a few of the threads and although the archos and some of the other ones look like better video machines they are too big for what I want and cost more than I want to spend. It turned out to be a contest between this and the reconditioned ipod. Thanks for the input!!!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D