What's your favorite thing...

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
...ever filmed? This includes TV, Movies, Mini-series, sporting even, the faked moon landings...whatever. Tell us what you like and why.

I truly have a two way tie for my favorite. If asked, I normally wouldn't claim a tie, but my answer will sway between these two from day to day. I'm torn between Band of Brothers and 24.

Band of Brothers is a fantastic series, and from all accounts is a realistic and accurate account of thsoe events. I've watched this entire series about 8 times over the last couple years. It's just awesome, there's really nothing more I can say. Watching this makes me wish I had been alive during that time period and could have been a part of that - and that's saying alot for me because I'm not easily 'inspired'.

24 sets the bar for what TV should be. It can be a bit repetitive and cliche from time to time, but that doesn't deter me. I've watched the first 5 seasons twice now, and enjoyed it every bit as much the second time around. What I find myself doing now is comparing other TV shows to 24, and nothing comes close. The most recent time was when I was watching Numbers last week and they were trying to stop some missles, and it was just sitting there thinking, 'man, this is effing weak'. I find myself doing that with more and more TV shows. I'm going to open up product line - WWJBD.

Well there you have my two favorites. What are yours, and why?
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    I have hundreds of movies but the only film that matters to me is the hundreds of hours of film I took of my kids growing up. No one else besides our family will ever care they even exist. To me they are irreplaceable and worth more than any "commercial" film ever produced.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Lou Gherig's farewell speech
    "Do you belive in miracles?" USA's victory over the Soviet Union in the 1980 Olympics
    Storming the beach in Saving Private Ryan
    U2 performing Sunday Bloody Sunday at Red Rocks
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    agree on Band OF Brothers... great series. I've seen the entire thing a few times myself. I never get tired of it either.

Currently.. i like the TV show Brothers and Sisters good writing and directing. Actor Ken Olin directs this series.. he was in an actor in that series Thritysomething way back in the day.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    Lou Gherig's farewell speech
    "Do you belive in miracles?" USA's victory over the Soviet Union in the 1980 Olympics
    Storming the beach in Saving Private Ryan
    U2 performing Sunday Bloody Sunday at Red Rocks

I watched the real game Olympics game which was awesome. . . I was 24 years old.

The best hockey moment (better than when the Flyers won two Stanley Cups) was 1976 when the Flyers beat the living crap out of those commie bastages, literally beat them up. . . at one point Ed Van Impe laid a wicked crunching check, which floored foward Valeri (the wimp) Kharlamov (I was right on the ice and it occured right in front of me I heard the crunch) caused the Ruskie pu$$ys to leave the ice in protest. I was at that game and will never ever forget it. . . "We have never played (against) such animal hockey", said Konstantin Loktev, the Red Army coach who was practically in tears the little ****!!! The Flyers didn't win by intimidation they won by teamwork against the greatest hockey machine on the earth. For anyone who cares to read about that game you can read it here. If I rembember correctly the Flyer were the only NHL team at that time to beat those pu$$$y commies. I believe we were the only fans to boo the Ruskies when they were first entering the ice and during intros. George Grand may call us names but that was an awesome moment. . . what was better was when Kate Smith sang "God Bless America" and all 17,000 of us sang it with her and everyone had tears streaming down their faces.

That was my greatest hockey moment, Storming the Beach in Saving Ryan was great. I saw that for the first time in the movies and was literally heaving from my stomach turning. It was an awesome experiance.
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    The 1980 USA Hockey team win has to be up there somewhere..
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    Not the gold medal game, but the round before that when they played USSR.. In case anyone's been under a rock for almost 30 years..
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2007
    I'll also go for the USA Hockey Team victory over the USSR. I was 13 years old and remember sitting on the floor in the living room watching it. There's never been another game to match it.

The Ravens storming through the playoffs to win the 2000 Superbowl is another on my list. Great excitement when your team goes all the way.

Who remembers waking up Sunday morning to hear that Buster Douglass beat Mike Tyson. The fight was in Japan, so the time difference made it tough to watch back here in the US. Besides, who wanted to waste their time watching another quick knockout by Tyson.

I was 10 years old and my dad took me to the movies one Saturday afternoon. We didn't quite know what we would see. He ran into a friend of his and he told us we should see this new movie that just came out. He said it's quite amazing and that your son would love it. The movie was Star Wars and it was 1977! I'll never forget that opening sequence...

I also remember "Han Solo" was starring in another movie and thinking at the time..."This is going to suck! He's Han Solo and not supposed to play anyone else!" Little did I know that Raiders of the Lost Ark would be in my top 5 movies of all time.

Great stuff guys, keep it coming!

John
    No excuses!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2007
    Yeh, The 1980 US win at Lake Placid was great to watch but the best 3 hockey games ever played were the finals of the 87 Canada Cup when Canada beat the USSR 2 games to 1.
    All 3 games were decided in overtime and ended with 6-5 score.The Gretzky, Lemieux combo was amazing.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    Strong Bad wrote:
    There's never been another game to match it.
    The 1980 US Hockey Team win over the Russians was truly a great game ...

Others that were at least close ...

- The 1969 NY Mets World Series win
    - The 1960 US Hockey team Gold Medal win ...
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited January 2007
    I was a resident of Minneapolis in 1980. The top goal scorers on the team were from the Iron Range of northern MN. I happened to be in a grocery store when someone made an announcement over the intercom that the US hockey team had just beaten the USSR. The reaction was incredible. Everbody in that store went wild, even the little old ladies.
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited January 2007
    For me there is one movie on the top of the list:

"The Right Stuff"

I grew up in the era making the models and stuff, watching the launches on tv.
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited January 2007
    Good stuiff guys. I was 3 when the US hockey team did their thing against the USSR, so don't really remember that. I did watch Miracle, but I'm sure that doesn't capture the moment and do that event justice.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2007
    Before i do a search, does anyone know if the entire "Miracle on Ice" game is on DVD? I would love to watch the original broadcast as it was shown including pre-game stuff.

Remember, the US team played the Soviet team in a Pre-Olympic exhibition game and got their asses handed to them by the Soviets.

One of my other favorite games was the Duke vs Kentucky college basketball game that ended with the now legendary Christian Laetner shot to win it. I always look forward to March Madness and those last second shots to win it.
    No excuses!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Strong Bad wrote:
    One of my other favorite games was the Duke vs Kentucky college basketball game that ended with the now legendary Christian Laetner shot to win it. I always look forward to March Madness and those last second shots to win it.

There are many in this state who rank this moment right up there with D-Day:D People still speak of Christian Laettner as if he were the Anti-Christ. Remember him kicking Sean Woods when the latter had fallen to the court?
    I find it hilarious that UK fans (of all people) would scream "racism":D Pot and the effin' kettle..

As a UofL fan, I could watch the Duke-UK game on an endless loop..
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2007
    The Red Sox winning the World Series was pretty awesome.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.