Notebook Computer Recommendations....

2»

Comments

• Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2007
    For work, I use a Dell laptop as my main workstation and it travels constantly with me. It is getting on three years old (which means it will be replaced by the government soon, woo hoo) and has given me zero problems. I also take 22 Dell Laptops with me about four times a year for training laptops and have only had one lose its screen and was immediately replaced by Dell. These training laptops are shipped in crates, their harddrives are constantly swapped in-and-out for both classified and unclassified processing, and they have worked great.

Because of the reliability they have proven in my work environment, I own two desktops for my personal use, bought my parents 1 desktop and 1 laptop, and finally bought my girlfriend a desktop. All for personal use, and all Dells. No problems at all with them.

I am now considering an XPS2010 from Dell and utilize the split screen functionality of my plasma for computing while watching TV. I have never owned a personal laptop since my work has always supplied them for me so I cannot tell you how these gaming laptops are. Since I am considering trying out some computer games (WoW and EQ2 for starts), thought it would be nice to get a setup I can hide in my component cabinet and that could handle the computing power and broadcast through my stereo system.

Be sure when you are purchasing your laptop that you get plenty of memory and a great video card. These things are not that easy to upgrade internally. I would not worry that much about getting the best harddrive, CD/DVD, HD player, that is available. Through USB ports, you can hang a USB Hub on it and add external peripherals in the future. My work one has two 350gp harddrives, Zipdisk, Security Card Reader, Fingerprint Identification pad, two printers (laser and inkjet), DVD writer, and of course an IPOD charging station all connected to my one laptop.

Good luck with your purchase.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited January 2007
    Go to fatwallet.com and look at the hot deals tab. These change every day. Buy whatever is the best deal. You may have to "hang out" a few days, to find an awesome deal, and some go very fast (ie, within a few hours). I have had friends pick up new systems absolutely dirt cheap this way. Usually, the deal involves one or more mail in rebates.
    Let's face it, modern computers have more similarities than differences. The guts are usually third-party manufactured items that change depeding on what the maker can negotiate the cheapest bulk price on. And, unfortunately, the march of technology has made computers essentially a disposable commodity. Whatever you buy today will be hopelessly obsolete in a year's time (not unusable, just not having enough resale value to make it worth repairing anything but the simplest fault) and makers have cut the warranties back to just a few months. Of course, additional warranty coverage can be purchased.
    So I buy whatever I can get cheapest that has the features I need, pay whatever is required for one year of warranty coverage, and if need to do anything more than replace the battery or insert a PCIMCIA card, buy a new machine.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys. So far I found out that if I go with Dell I only save $100.00 bucks through my school program. The laptop I am looking at has Blu Ray capabilities but no HDMI out and I don't know if I can watch them on my HT. They did not know either. As a matter of fact, they did not even know if the Blu Ray would work with the Vista that is launching today....?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2007
    This is the reason I will be buying an apple the next time around. At least everything released for them works seamlessly the first time around and they are very clear on the capabilities of the computer you are purchasing.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    IBM/Lenovo hands down if you live only in the Windows world. However, the new MacBooks will be dual bootable with the next operating system due this summer. So, if you like living on the wild side.......
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2007
    FWIW, I've had tons of notebooks in the warehouse, many 8+ years old and still running. The most reliable have been:

1. IBM
    2. Sony
    3. Toshiba

Compaq's have been the worst, then HP.

Dells seem to fall in the "so-so" category.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2007
    funny how one person's top brand is another person's worst. Experiences will vary all over the map, and just because someone had problems with BrandX laptops 5 years ago doesn't really mean squat.

Decide on the specs you want, find a good deal, and make sure it comes with a good warranty and you should be ok. Treat it right and more than likely you won't even have to deal with any issues. I second the recommedation to watch fatwallet.com hot deals forum. You could end up with a great deal.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    It usually is how you take care of something, Phantom, I agree. Not always, but usually it's user error or accidental abuse.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    What is wrong with Dell? That's what my college recommended and I have an account with them. I also do with Sony though.

I will be using it for papers and research. I would also like to use it outside my house and go on the internet and be able to write and research at Starbucks etc.

What about a Mac? Could I use that with my wireless router even though my other notebook will be windows?

We currently have 3 Dell laptops (one 4 years old, one almost 2 years old and one about 7 months old) and 2 Dell desktops. Never had a single issue with any of them. They have taken abuse (one was stolen and recovered outdoors) and are constantly transported to and from locations (not "desktop" laptops). The 4 year old is just now needing a new battery.

My one of my daughters was lusting after a Mac until she found several of her friends had some issues and they ended up going back with a PC. She also discovered that a Mac was several hundred more than a comparable PC machine and even then it was questionable as to whether it would run some of her AutoCad stuff.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited January 2007
    Autocad will not run on a mac to my knowledge. I don't think autodesk makes a mac version. You could run it parallel with windows XP on a mac, but you better have one hell of a mac for anything like that. If I was using CAD, I would go for an Alienware. Those are graphic machines.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    Autocad will not run on a mac to my knowledge. I don't think autodesk makes a mac version. You could run it parallel with windows XP on a mac, but you better have one hell of a mac for anything like that. If I was using CAD, I would go for an Alienware. Those are graphic machines.

Alienware is REDICULOUSLY overpriced. You can build most of their machines for half the price they are asking. If you need a graphics machine, you build it yourself or buy all the parts and have a company put it together for you.
  • PhantomOG
    edited January 2007
    We're talking about a laptop. Alienware may still be overpriced, but are you seriously advocating building your own laptop??
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited January 2007
    Personally, I think all computers are overpriced for something that will be a piece of **** by the time it gets to my house.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    PhantomOG wrote:
    We're talking about a laptop. Alienware may still be overpriced, but are you seriously advocating building your own laptop??

Honestly, if you absolutely require a graphics machine like mentioned above then you really shouldn't be doing your work on a laptop. And to be honest, since Darla said it's for college, there is no reason for a computer like that.

Also, Alienware is nothing but a name like Bose so you can say "Mine is bigger than yours"

Dell would be the perfect solution for all college needs. They offer the warranty, the software, the hardware, and the devices at an affordable price for a pre-built machine. You really can't go wrong with Dell.
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    All this thread really proves is that you need to do your own research and figure out what you need and want. :cool:
  • PhantomOG
    edited January 2007
    alot like the Toyota/Honda/Ford/Chevy debates. They all have shiny badges on the outside, but alot of the times the insides are all the same.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2007
    Piece of **** is overstating it........

Unless you're running a program that requires a lot of system resources most computers out there are just fine.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Honestly, if you absolutely require a graphics machine like mentioned above then you really shouldn't be doing your work on a laptop.

Dell would be the perfect solution for all college needs. They offer the warranty, the software, the hardware, and the devices at an affordable price for a pre-built machine. You really can't go wrong with Dell.

Architecture and interior design students need serious graphic capabilities and they need it on a laptop. The Dell is doing just fine. And yes she bought the Dell vs a Mac because of the AutoCad requirements.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    shack wrote:
    Architecture and interior design students need serious graphic capabilities and they need it on a laptop. The Dell is doing just fine. And yes she bought the Dell vs a Mac because of the AutoCad requirements.

Which I understand, but my point was they don't need anything as extreme as some of the Alienware laptops that are many many many thousands of dollars. Dell is more than sufficient for their needs and therefore would definately be more than enough for Wingnut.

The autocad guys at my work(PG) all get Dell Laptops(2g ram) or Dell Desktops(4g ram, 3.25 seen by xp), or both. They never complain.

Alienware is nothing but extreme, extreme, extreme.
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    Which I understand, but my point was they don't need anything as extreme as some of the Alienware laptops that are many many many thousands of dollars. Dell is more than sufficient for their needs and therefore would definately be more than enough for Wingnut.

The autocad guys at my work(PG) all get Dell Laptops(2g ram) or Dell Desktops(4g ram, 3.25 seen by xp), or both. They never complain.

Alienware is nothing but extreme, extreme, extreme.

You're right on with that. I have 4 engineers working for me, and they're doing just fine on middle of the road HPs. I also use CAD on my machine and I have no problems.

Desktop.jpg
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    A Mac is an awesome choice. I am the last of my family to jump on the wagon, only for $$ reasons. They are real easy to set up and get used to as well. They don't come with all of the crap on them that most windows computers do either. You will have to buy all of the software that you need (Office,etc) for the mac, but they have it in the store and will even install it for you if needed. Yes, you can use the mac with your windows wireless router as well. They call it Airport.

Not to mention, NO BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! MAC's are undeniably reliable.. Most colleges today, for many Majors(including moslty Journalism and Graphic Arts) opt for the MAC.. Not to mention that most OS seem to be both IBM and MAC compatible..
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited January 2007
    The mac has long been a favorite of graphic designers. They are very reliable as well. The thing I like most is that I am not constantly worried about the next hole they discover in their security. It seems they find one once a week in windows based computers.
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    You must have went to School during the age of "PageMaker."
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2007
    I think I have narrowed it down to the Dell Inspiron 1705. I was informed tonight that the Blu Ray does NOT work with Vista.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    I love my iBook, with the standard software that comes pre-installed I can do so many things. I publish A$$A on it using Apple's Pages program. Had I owned a windows laptop, that's an extra $200-400 in software alone. When I need to connect to a wireless location, its a few seconds instead of minutes. Be as that may, their are certain things that Windows does do that I like. I hate having to drag my usb drive to the trash to eject it.

I'm looking forward to upgrading to a MacBook so I can eventually run both OS's, as Windows is used at my school where I'm the computer instructor.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    I think I have narrowed it down to the Dell Inspiron 1705. I was informed tonight that the Blu Ray does NOT work with Vista.
    I checked that particular model out and that is plenty of machine in basic form. Don't buy any of the Norton security stuff. There are many free anti virus programs out there that work better than Norton and McCrappy. I personally use AVG free edition, and have had great successes with it. They also have a free spy ware program that works very well. Stay away from the temptation to use vista on your machine for a while.

Heres the link to my site that points you to some free software. There are some links out on the web that point to similar software that is actually spy ware and not the real software.

http://crantech.net/
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited January 2007
    listen...

Everyone here is wrong unless they agree with me.

IBM/Lenovo or Toshiba - you won't regret purchasing either of those. All the other brands are not even close in terms of reliability.

I don't need to own a computer repair shop to tell you that the brands I mentioned above are the best manufacturers of notebook computers.

I don't want to get into the whole Apple vs Microsoft debate. If you do choose to go Apple, than make sure that all of the app's you work with are compatible with Apple. I personally don't care for Apple because even if it is a better OS in terms of reliability - there are just too few programs compatible with it and I like to be able to download just about anything and know that my OS will run it.

Apple had its chance a 15 yrs ago...they decided to market their OS to the rich and lost.

Like an idiot (up2youjoe) once said in another thread: "They lost. Tough ****."