Wiring question :o

PunK
PunK Posts: 7
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I recently purchased 2 JL Audio 12W3v2 subwoofers and to tell you the truth, I am not impressed with them. I heard they were good and I was told it would best fit my car (Jeep GC 2001) but I think I heard wrong. I did a custom installation.

Here is some info.

JL Audio 500/1 Class D Monoblock Subwoofer Amplifier (500 RMS)
Dual JL Audio 12W3v2 (300 RMS)
20ft 4 gauge wire (Power)
4ft 4 gauge wire (Ground)
8 x 8 10 gauge wire running to my subs.

I'm not using monster cables, just basic audio cable from my harness to my amplifier.

Do you think this is right?
Post edited by PunK on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    Looks good to me. Not sure why they wouldnt sound good.

Did you build your own box? If so, what size is the interior volume and is it sealed or ported?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2007
    not happy with JL...maybe you should try polk???
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PunK
    edited January 2007
    Well, I unhooked one sub from my box. The one sub hit harder then both together. You could def. feel the one sub. I'm guessing it could be the amplifier not outputting enough wattage to my subs.

I'm actually thinking of selling my 2 JL Audio 12W3v2 and either buying 1 JL Audio 13W6v2 or 13W7. 13W7 is quite costly so I may stick with the 6v2 in which case I would have to sell my amp and buy the JL Audio 1000/1 amplifier.

My enclosure is to the exact dimensions in the owners manual on JL's website.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited January 2007
    Hook them both back up again. Do you see one sub "pushing" and the other one looks like it's "pulling"... doing the reverse of the other? If so, one sub is wired out of phase. It's output is cancelling that of the other sub.

Heck- I'd double check by reversing the polarity of wiring on one of the subs to see if that nets you an improvement. Though probably not the case with those JLs, I've even seen subs made with positive and negative leads marked opposite of how they're actually connected, done at the factory.

If that isn't the case, is it possible there isn't the required airspace for both subs in your enclosure?
  • dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited January 2007
    Hook them both back up again. Do you see one sub "pushing" and the other one looks like it's "pulling"... doing the reverse of the other? If so, one sub is wired out of phase. It's output is cancelling that of the other sub.

Heck- I'd double check by reversing the polarity of wiring on one of the subs to see if that nets you an improvement. Though probably not the case with those JLs, I've even seen subs made with positive and negative leads marked opposite of how they're actually connected, done at the factory.

If that isn't the case, is it possible there isn't the required airspace for both subs in your enclosure?

I agree...sounds like you need to flop the wiring on one sub.
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • PunK
    edited January 2007
    Well, I unplugged the left one and the right sub was punching really loud. I did vice versa and the left sub was punching really loud. Both subs work just fine. Enclosure space is to the exact. Is my amplifier not powerful enough to push both subwoofers to there near peak?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2007
    No, the problem is that youre wiring is reversed on one of the subs. It is pushing out when it supposed to be moving in. If you have terminals on the side of the box, the easiest way is just to switch that terminal and put the positive where the negative should be and the negative where the positive should be. That should fix your problem
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    I agree with everybody that youre subs are out of phase. When you have one sub out of phase with the other, one is pushing in one direction while the other is pushing in the other so they cancel each other out.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PunK
    edited January 2007
    They are in phase. When I first set them up they were not in phase but I switch the positive with the negative and now there perfectly in phase. Or am I mistaken?