BAD ASP
BAD ASP Posts: 361
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey to anybody reading. i'm bustin my cherry with this post. i joined the polk audio web because i have been a polk audiophile from the first day i heard the srt's. i bought new srt3.1 sda's back in 1990 while all of my friends were going bose, infinnity, klipsch, yada yada. i still have my polks on my system while they have all gone through a bunch of speaker auditions. i have yet to find a superior sound. so money spent way back when was a great investment in time and money.

i just bought a new jeep srt8 which has the typical high end factory installed boston acoustics pos's. i want to upgrade just the speakers for now and i am considering the mmc6500 for the front and rear doors. the dash has 4" speakers so i'll probably have to get some upgrade bostons or ?? do any of you out there have any experience with the jeep systems from boston. i understand that they are wired a little differently than the usual stock crap. the factory amp puts out different signals to the front and rear doors. am i wasting money putting 2 way or 3 way speakers in these holes? any help or suggestions would be appreciated. i can't believe i didn't know about this site earlier.
Home Theater
Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
Processor: sunfire theater grand V
Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
Rears: Polk LSiFX
Side surrounds: Fxi5
Center: (2)polk LSiC's
Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
Projector: sony vw60
Screen: Da-Lite 106"
APC S20 Power conditioner
Post edited by BAD ASP on

Comments

• vawakemonster
    vawakemonster Posts: 131
    edited January 2007
    uhh I doubt you can replace the speakers in a new "factory premier" sound system with out replacing the entire thing because they do thingsd so you cant. such as making them multi ohm systems.
    Dodge Dakota
    HU: Pioneer
    Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
    Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
    Subwoofer: polk mm2104
  • BAD ASP
    edited January 2007
    i've been getting that impression. i appreciate your reply. i'm not going to rush into anything but i will upgrade when i get it sorted out with what i can do or not. the system is tied into the bluetooth, steering controls all of that stuff. so again any kind of suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Home Theater
  • vawakemonster
    vawakemonster Posts: 131
    edited January 2007
    yea, they do little things to hamper you but its dueable and you can get adapters for the steering stuff and such, the only truely dificult block is when the but heater dials and stereo in the same unit. my I suggest going on sounddomain.com (car domain)and searching your model car, its not all sound mods but alot of them will have them and you can look at things people have done.
    Dodge Dakota
    HU: Pioneer
    Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
    Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
    Subwoofer: polk mm2104
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    Welcome to the Club! And the SRT's effing rule!! Most amazing things Ive ever heard.

As for the new Jeep "Premium" sound systems Im not really sure how they work.

You would be better off going with upgraded speakers and the MMC's are excellent speakers. The only way I can think of that aftermarket speakers wont work is if they each have their own amp kinda like the Bose systems do.

I would recommend running down to your local Tweeter if you have one or other reputable shop and talk to them. Chances are theyve worked on these systems before and will be able to shed some light on your options.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • BAD ASP
    edited January 2007
    vawakemonster and macleod, thanks for the replies. i am pretty much convinced on the momo's. a little more research and i'll pull the trigger.
    hey macleod, is it me or are the srt's really this good. i have listened to a lot of different speakers and i have yet to find any that i like as much. if you can get over their size then wow. admittedly i haven't heard any of the ultra high end gear as i can't afford so why tease myself. the proof to me is that my kids will listen to all kinds of music and i frequently get asked if they can play some of their stuff on my system ie., the polks. when my friends "upgrade" they all ask for my opinion next to the polks. i don't want to be **** so i always tell them their new gear sounds great. but i always feel like why don't they just look for some srt's on the internet and be done with that part of their search. one day i'll have to get more serious about what i have driving them right now there part of ht and are driven by a denon 5700 which, while it's getting old still works fine.:D :D

thanks again!!!
    mike
    Home Theater
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2007
    Its not you, the SRT's rule!!

If for not other reason than for the uber coolness of having your soundstage be wider than the room youre actually in!!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    Just noticed your sig Mac, grats on the placings!!

Most 'high end' stock systems are setup in such a way that it's normally easier to gut the whole thing and go completely aftermarket.

The MoMo speakers you're looking at would be nicely complimented by a high end Pioneer or Ecliplse deck, and a solid amp to power them. Polk makes a good amp, I personally prefer US Amps, their tube amps sound great and I've got a set of Polk MM6's running off a US Amps Tu-600 150w x2 Tube amp, sounds great for not having put any work into the soundstage yet lol.
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Thanks!

Not too shabby for my rookie year.

About time I did something with all this useless knowledge I have! :D:p