Different Ohms on the same amp ok?

DemonAstroth
DemonAstroth Posts: 131
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm thinking about buying a pair of 2 ohm speakers.

Would it be OK to run it in a 4 channel amp which is running 4 ohm speakers?

So the 2 front channels would be 2 ohm and the two rear 4 ohm.

The amp is both 4 and 2 ohm stable. I just don't know if the different channels would be a problem.

Anyone knows?

Demon
Post edited by DemonAstroth on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2007
    It will run fine. It's just that the speakers running 2 ohm will be a little louder. Where did you get 2 ohm speakers? Or are they subs?
  • dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited January 2007
    Image Dynamics makes their components in both 4 ohm and 2 ohm models. I have a pair of their 2 ohm 5.25" mids.

www.imagedynamicsusa.com
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • DemonAstroth
    edited January 2007
    I'm planning on replacing my 460db's with stock clarion tweeters with an Infinity Kappa 60.7cs component set. The only thing i thought strange is that they are 2 ohm speakers. I was trying to fit some Polk MM6 but they are just waaaaaay too big and it would be a big project including cutting the metal in the doors.

My amp is a Hifonics TX8805 (110 wRMSx4 @ 4Ohm and 220wx4 @ 2ohm). I think I will certainly need to lower the gains as my rear speakers are some DB6500.

Demon

PS: Anyone wants some new and never installed MM6's for 120 dollars?
  • vawakemonster
    vawakemonster Posts: 131
    edited January 2007
    I may be interested!
    Dodge Dakota
    HU: Pioneer
    Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
    Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
    Subwoofer: polk mm2104
  • vawakemonster
    vawakemonster Posts: 131
    edited January 2007
    thats the momo 6.5 right?
    Dodge Dakota
    HU: Pioneer
    Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
    Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
    Subwoofer: polk mm2104
  • DemonAstroth
    edited January 2007
    yeah... momo 6.5 mm6 to be precise.

Just sold them though.

I had like 4 people in line.

Demon
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    shoulda put in the work on the MM6's, been running mine for bout 3 years now and they still sound gorgeous... great bass for a 6.5 too... although i'll admit the huge magnet can be a **** to work with...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • DemonAstroth
    edited February 2007
    Yes..

I was VERY sad to see them go. As soon as I posted them online for sale they were gone. I can hardly imagine how they sound as for the rear I have some "lowly" DB6500 and they are excellent.

I will certainly plan on some Momo's for my next vehicle, but for now I think the Infinity's should be OK. I only wish for silk tweeters instead of metal, but it's a compromise. It's not like my car is in any competitions or anything like that, I simply want nice clear sound.

Demon