Opinions on Viper Remote Car Starter

cindy100
cindy100 Posts: 256
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hi! I wanted to know if anyone here knows anything about the Viper Remote car starter. I’m thinking of having one installed and wondered if anyone has one and whether you would recommend it. I have a few days before I have to make a decision; as always, your opinions and help are appreciated.

Thanks,

Cindy
Post edited by cindy100 on

Comments

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2007
    I don't have one personally but I was talking to a friend yesterday that loves his. He's a master tech at a Toyota dealership, his speciality is electrical diagnosis. He was comparing a factory Toyota system with the Viper system on his personal vehicle. The Toyota system required less tapping into wires, which equates to a lesser chance of a wiring mishap. On the other hand, the computer module was located in a different side of the car then the wiring connections, which makes the install take a bit longer. He said the Viper was a bit easier to install, and he's never had an issue with it. Are you installing it yourself? Hope this helps a little bit.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2007
    They're awesome! Best car alarm/remote start brand ever! Oh wait...I'm biased. Seriously, I've installed an s-load of these (before Directed aquired us)and they are pretty reliable and easy to use. The ease of installation doesn't really matter unless you're doing it yourself. Just realize that if someone other than an authorized retailer installs it, you lose the lifetime warranty. What kind of vehicle is this going in? I can give you a heads up of any upcharges.
  • greenranger
    greenranger Posts: 44
    edited January 2007
    i have viper 2 way alarm/remote start for three years.Before that for a another 3 had the regaler alarm/rs no problems at all in that time,but be gentle on the two way remote. great for summer/ac and winter heat . enjoy:D
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    I've had Viper alarms and remote starters in a car and truck. I found them reliable and when I get around to it I'll put one in my current car.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2007
    Remote starters are remote starters. They are all very basic in operation unless they are integrated into an alarm system. Almost any one of them will work fine from the cheapest unit AutoZone carries all the way up to the big names like the Viper one you are looking at. If it gives you a warm fuzzy to go with a company with a good reputation like Viper then by all means, go for it. I'm not trying to rain on the parade. I'm just saying that they may all have different names on the box but you'd be surprised how similar they really are.

One good thing about the bigger name companies like Viper is that they often have extra options and a much higher quality keyfob. So while you may pay more for a brand name, you will get some extra value out of it.

Advice though, have it professionally installed. Newer cars have so many computers and other sensitive equipment that it can get tricky installing one. Especially if you have a factory installed anti-theft system.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited January 2007
    Hi again! It will be going into an '04 Lexus RX330 and, you've got to be kidding when it comes to me installing it! I wouldn't have a clue as to what I was doing. It will be done by an authorized dealer. The guy I spoke to said something about needing an additional piece so would that be considered an upcharge?

He did ask if I wanted one with an alarm system and since I keep the car in the garage I'm not sure if I really need or want it. What's your opinion on that one?

Thanks again,

Cindy
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2007
    Yes, you need an 1100X which is a programmable interface. Whoever does it is gonna be cussin'. It looks intricate. Here's the info:

DIRECTWIRE™ WIRING INFORMATION - LEXUS / RX 330 / 2004 / Remote Start

[PRINT THIS PAGE]

12volts red (30A), orange (7.5A) + ignition harness
    Starter blue + ignition harness
    Second Starter white + ignition harness
    Ignition purple + ignition harness
    Second Ignition green + ignition harness
    Third Ignition N/A
    Accessory gray + ignition harness
    Second Accessory N/A
    Keysense black - ignition harness
    Notes: Using the status output to trigger this wire during remote start will disarm the factory alarm without unlocking the doors.
    Power Lock brown - driver door module in door
    Notes: Meter these wires while turning the key in the driver door key cylinder.
    Power Unlock gray (double pulse) - driver door module in door
    Notes: Meter these wires while turning the key in the driver door key cylinder.
    Lock Motor blue to red 5wi driver kick, 20 pin plug
    Unlock Motor red to white 5wi driver kick, 20 pin plug
    Parking Lights+ lt. green + driver kick, harness to rear
    Parking Lights- orange - headlight switch
    Hazards purple - hazard switch
    Turn Signal(L) black + back of fuse box below BECU
    Turn Signal(R) pink + back of fuse box below BECU
    Reverse Light green to red + driver kick, gray 20 pin plug
    Door Trigger see notes - see notes
    Notes: The driver door trigger is blue at the BECU, 16 pin plug, pin 14. The passenger door is blue at the BECU, 28 pin plug, pin 23. The right rear door is gray at the BECU, 16 pin plug, pin 16. The left rear door is black, pin 7, in a 13 pin plug on the right side of the fuse box. Use all four wires and diode isolate each.

The BECU (Body ECU) is attached to the back of the fuse box under the driver side dash.
    Dome Supervision lt. blue - R side of fuse box, 12 pin plug
    Trunk/Hatch Pin pink or brown - driver kick, gray 20 pin plug
    Hood Pin red to black - driver kick, gray 18 pin plug
    Trunk/Hatch Release purple - power back door switch on dash
    Notes: On vehicles without the power back door, the hatch release is white to yellow (-) in the driver kick, gray 20 pin plug. Meter this wire while opening the hatch from the handle on the rear hatch.

The hatch release motor wire is brown to lt. green (+) in the driver kick, gray 20 pin plug.

The fuel lid release is gray (+) at the switch on the dash.
    Power Sliding Door N/A
    Factory Alarm Arm arms with lock
    Factory Alarm Disarm disarms with unlock
    Disarm No Unlock use key sense wire
    Tachometer white ac ECM, top plug, pin 5
    Notes: The ECM (Engine Control Module) is behind the glove box.
    Wait to start N/A
    Brake Wire gray + brake pedal switch
    Parking Brake lt. green - parking brake switch
    Horn Trigger white - horn switch
    Memory Seat 1 green - memory seat switch in door
    Memory Seat 2 purple - memory seat switch in door
    Memory Seat 3 N/A -
    Interface Module: Category:
    Immobilizer Bypass Required:
    Yes Type:
    Transponder
    Part #: 1100X
    Alternate Part1 #: 1100F
    Alternate Part2 #: 556UW
    Alternate Part3 #: DesignTech 20402
    Alternate Part4 #: DesignTech 29402
    Notes: Standard on all models. When using the 1100F, a software change to 1100TL is needed.
    Interface Module: Category:
    Door Lock Interface Required:
    No Type:
    Data Bus
    Part #: IM-Toyota-2
    Notes:
    Smart Starter Kill Relays: Not Available

This wiring information is being provided free of charge on an "as is" basis, without any representation or warranty. It is your responsibility to verify any circuit before interfacing with it using a digital multimeter.
    Directed Electronics assumes no responsibility with regards to the accuracy or currency of this information. Proper installation in every case is and remains the responsibility of the installer. DEI assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from improper installation, even in reliance upon this information.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2007
    On the alarm note...Aftermarket alarms tend to be more effective than OEM alarm systems. Also, it will eliminate the need for 2 transmitters.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2007
    Alarm systems get you a premium discount on your insurance too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2007
    Viper 550 owner here for four years. Have zero complaints.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited January 2007
    Save your dough...tell the man in your life to get his **** out of bed in the morning and warm it up for you.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable