Any CA guys around Chicago?

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm wondering if there are any CA guys around the Chicago (Naperville) area that would be willing to help me install some stuff in my car......

I'm moving cross country within 5 weeks and I've got 2 sr124dvc's and 2 500.1's that I need to install. My problem is that I'm hesitant to try and screw with my car when I'm ultimately needing the car running and not lighting on fire while I'm in the process of a move.......ha.

I've got to build the boxes (basically screw together as I had them cut about 6 months ago and haven't done anything with them) and get the things lined out, but the electrical wiring part is the thing that I'm most unsure of.

I have a 1/0 gauge kit (along with bigger fuse kit etc etc) that I bought to replace the 4 gauge that's currently running to the single 400.4 in my trunk.

I just need some help in getting the thing installed as I'm going to be spending about $6k+ on a move.

Anyone able/willing to help?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    6K to move? Damn.. i'm never moving again. Sheite!

Good luck, hope you find someone to help you with the install. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • brettw22
    edited January 2007
    Well, it's 3 months to break the lease and about $3k for the actual moving thing, but in my head, it's a $6k number and it is what it is.......I'm just not about to trust myself to **** with wiring and keep the thing running.......
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    Id love to help ya out bro but Im at least 12 hours away. Ya may have to break down and take it to a shop.

So where are you moving too? Youre right in the middle so "cross country" could be anywhere! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brettw22
    edited January 2007
    Moving to Salt Lake City on March 2nd. Want to get it installed and done with before that but if not doable so be it.......
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    I'm only about 3-4 hrs away depending on where in the chicagoland area you are, if you'd cover the gas I might be up for a fieldtrip (bout 50 to fuel the truck there and back)

do you have a heated garage for the install? cause it's way too cold right now to be running wire...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    When i was thinking about all this it wasn't as damn cold as it has been lately......

I'm in an apartment and don't have a garage unfortunately....

I'm in Lisle (just by Naperville)...........where you at?
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN

You're a little further than i normally come, but I've got family in Chicago so it's a trip I've made often.

We'll see how the weather is the next couple weekends, but if you've got everything needed for the install shouldn't take more than an hour or two (depending on how many thaw breaks are needed lol)
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    Either that or I could come out to your area if you have a garage.......

I just mapped from my place to Ft. Wayne and if I go on 30 it's 185 miles one way. I don't want to ask for your help then on top of that ask you to drive 2-3 hours on top of that......

The one thing I remember the shop doing was splicing about 3-4 feet extra 4 gauge wire because of the distance of the wire (front right battery to rear left trunk for the amp), but they also mounted the fuse on the battery box so i guess if the fuse was more at the firewall there would be a bit more room to work with length-wise.....

I can't imagine it only taking an hour or two, but you'd know better than I.......
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    I got to see Salt Lake City when I was truck driving and thought it was the most beautiful place Id ever seen! And the mountains are purple!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D