Recent Watched Movies / TV Series...

jkn
jkn Posts: 133
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
There's a thread for 'now listening' and one for 'drinking', but I couldn't find a
'now watching' one using search... I like to ramble on about what I've been watching recently as much as what I've been listening to...

Casablanca - My wife and I finally watched this over the weekend. I bought it on sale at least a year ago in a bundle with The Maltese Falcon, but tossed it on the shelf and it's sat there unopened since then. Sadly, we've done that quite a bit - buy something we want to see, but for some reason never get to it. When we take a vacation we sometimes "catch up" on a few of those.

Anyway, this is a very good film and I can see how it's become an icon over the years. Well worth the time to watch it, but I'm not sure if it'll top my lists of favorites. The story took a while for us to sort out - and it helped when half way through I took the time to read the paragraph on the back of the box. Great cast! The bonus documentary was nicely done. Looks like it was possibly on TCM, but I don't remember if that's correct or not.

MASH Season 11 - I bought the final season recently and it's definitely one of the better of the later years. Good stories - and they focused more on comedy on most of the episodes. Of course, the final movie looks stunning. I've always found it depressing, but fitting as an ending to the series. None of the individual MASH sets have bonus material - unless you track down the big box set.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig - I've started rewatching the 2nd season. Great anime series with a slightly different tone to the movies. Possibly my favorite of the anime in my dvd collection.

edit: Too bad I can't fix the thread title! I changed the title during my original post to something different and should have tossed an 'ly' on recently...
Post edited by jkn on

Comments

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2007
    StarGate SG-1 - (season 1 and 2) Just starting season 2 - Great premise for a Sci-Fi show. Much better than the movie. I thought season one started kind of slow, but the characters and writers seem to be finding their groove and I look forward to watching the rest of season 2. (as well as the rest of the seasons) Most story lines seem to be self contained, but the entire show does build on itself.

Everybody loves Raymond - (seasons 1 - 7) Just finished season 7. This has kind of jumped the shark for me and the story lines seem to have played out. Now they just seem to yell alot more at each other. - through about season 4 or 5 was good, after that is starting to seem like a re-hash. The wife still enjoys watching it and I am sure due to that we will purchase the final seasons when they come out.

24 (seasons 1 and 2) - I got these for christmas (actually season 1 just came in last night :rolleyes:) I rented one disk of the first season to see if I would like it. It looks like a really good show, but want to at least finish season 2 of startgate before I start watching it) I have high hopes for this one.

Alias (seasons 1 - 5) - Great series. Oddly enough the first part of each season starts slow as the network tries to bring in new viewers. The latter part of each season (as they get back to rambaldi) seems very good. I just got season 5 for christmas and I must say - it does finish with one of their strongest seasons. Much like LOST if you jump in the middle, you will not have a clue as to what is going on. Each show builds on the next and most episodes end with a cliffhanger making you really want to watch "just one more episode". Highly recommended.

Thats it for now -

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Halfway through watching Band of Brothers for the first time...

Thanks Again MrBigBlueLight!!!:)
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    Band of Brothers made me sob like a little girl.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Yup... Niagra Falls. I'm through six of the episodes and am actually trying to draw this out, as opposed to muscling through it.

Everything about the series is first rate.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    TV series - Comedies -King of Queens, Yes dear, sometimes Still Standing
    Informational(lack of a better term) -Mythbusters, Cash Cab, Modern Marvels, Hows it Made, Mega builders
    Drama(kinda) Deadliest Catch, Lobstermen, Revolution (History Channel series)

Movies -Talladega Nights, 40 Yr Old Virgin, The Da Vinci Code, Red Dawn
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    TV I'd recommend right now : Heroes, Friday Night Lights, Lost, 24, Bones.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Band of Brothers made me sob like a little girl.

The last disc with the actual soldiers really did.
  • jkn
    edited January 2007
    Band of Brothers has been on my 'to buy' list for a long time - I tend to like a lot of war movies...

Stargate SG-1 is one of my favorite series - I can't wait until the 10th (and final) season dvds come out. The first 'direct to dvd' movie is due to come out later this year which will wrap up the season 9 and 10 main storylines.

The main dvd I'm really looking forward to right now is the next Columbo release which should be around April/May timeframe.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2007
    jkn wrote:
    Band of Brothers has been on my 'to buy' list for a long time - I tend to like a lot of war movies...

Stargate SG-1 is one of my favorite series - I can't wait until the 10th (and final) season dvds come out. The first 'direct to dvd' movie is due to come out later this year which will wrap up the season 9 and 10 main storylines.

The main dvd I'm really looking forward to right now is the next Columbo release which should be around April/May timeframe.

Man I wanted to get into Stargate SG-1 so bad and I really tried but just couldn't stand the way Richard Dean Anderson acted in the series....

Anyway heres my Season passes:
    Living Room:
    All three CSI's
    Lost
    Heroes
    BattleStar
    Mythbusters
    Dirty Jobs
    ER
    The Dresdan Files
    Eureka
    OverHaulin
    Cold Case

Bedroom:
    Star Trek: Enterprise
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    TV I'd recommend right now : Heroes, Friday Night Lights, Lost, 24, Bones.

Good stuff but you left off House.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2007
    Prime Suspect seasons 1-6
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • jkn
    edited January 2007
    Over the weekend we watched The Great Gatsbythe 1974 Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, Bruce Dern, Sam Waterston version. Gorgeous costume and set design, nicely filmed - a touch on the slow side. I don't mind slower movies, but this dragged quite a bit through the first half. I hadn't seen this version of the movie, and hadn't read the book since probably high school so much of the story was somewhat 'fresh' again. I enjoyed it -not great, but worth the time.

Monty Python episodes - five episodes rolling in the background while cleaning and relaxing on Saturday. I bought the 16 ton set back in November - and am loving it.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    Gatsby is a charcter-driven story, so it's pretty much slow by definition. Of all the movies made of that book I definitely like the Redford one the best.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    I been watching all of Agatha Christie's Hercule Peroit movies from A&E and am about half way through them. The Miss Marple movies will be down the road. I am a huge Agatha Christie fan and I own and have ready every Agatha Christie novel over the years. None of the commercial studios have done the the novels justice the way A&E was able to do. David Suchet and Joan Hickson were born to play the parts of Christie's famous sleuths. Good stuff.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited January 2007
    For TV... 24, Big Love, Dexter.
    Just finished the last season of 6ft under and waiting for the end of Soprano's.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2007
    Up to about 8:00am on season one of 24. oh my God - what an addicting show. I really don't know what it is about that show that is so great. sound and video really seem average at best - it must be that the story line is interesting and just gets more and more complicated as the season goes on. At this point, I really have no idea how they are going to tie everything up and get him out of the trouble he is in.....

Very good show.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    Seasons 1-4
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    Seasons 1-4

That is effin" hilarious!! Are you a big time Adult Swimmer?
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2007
    I love the adult swim. Robot Chicken is one of my faves as well.
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited January 2007
    I just got The Office: Season 3 downloaded to my computer via iTunes this week. It is an absolute riot. I watched Season 1 already, still have yet to see Season 2. It's all excellent stuff, though.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    I actually just started watching the US version of the Office as well. I resisted it out of stubbornness, but I've been enjoying it. A tiny bit overrated but still pretty funny.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    That is effin" hilarious!! Are you a big time Adult Swimmer?

Sunday night is Cartoon Night at Casa de Berkowitz:D
    Birdman: Attorney at Law and Sealab are also faves
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    I've been burnin' through my Mystery Science Theater 3000 collection of late...
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    Television:
    King of the Hill, you can't help but love the one-liners, "The boy ain't right I tell ya"
    Everybody Loves Raymond: the more I watch on reruns the more I appreciate the great writing compared to 95% of other sitcoms. Best part was that the script allowed for the pausing between lines, allowed for the humor to sink in. I think every year was equal, maybe I just like the truthfulness of the humor.
    Movies:
    "The Right Stuff", one of the all time great movies, mediocre box office when it came out because John Glenn was running for President and people thought it was all about him.
    "The Shawshank Redemption", a great story of perseverence. Morgan Freeman gives an incredible performance.
    "Awakenings" Hands down Robert DeNiro's best performance, and one of the top three ever on film.
    "A Walk in the Clouds", a bit of a chick flick, but the visual look and colors are outstanding.
    "Never Cry Wolf", IMHO the best man and nature film ever, funny, poignant, and a visual treat.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • jkn
    edited February 2007
    We stumbled into "Paycheck" starring Ben "I got a Razzie award for this roll" Affleck, Uma Thurman, and Paul Giamati - based on the Philip K. Dick story.

We got sucked into it immediately - and enjoyed the whole movie. A bit over the top at times, but overall it was a good story that was decently done. After reading imdb on it - yikes - I was expecting a really bad movie. It wasn't.

Worth a rent - or a purchase if it's in the bargain bin for as much as you'd normally rent it... ;)

We also rewatched parts of Season 3 of "Monk".
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Watched "The Guardian" last night. Kutcher needs to stick with MTV fluff stuff. The action scenes at sea were pretty good. It was somewhat predictable. I read somewhere it was a tribute to the Coast Guard and if nothing else it did give a good depiction of the search and rescue arm of the CG and what they do.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2007
    does anyone know when Dexter or Biglove are back on TV. I can't seem to find this info.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited February 2007
    Our daughter (16.5 years old) started us watching "Grey's Anatomy" a prime-time medical soap opera. It has broken some ice and given us parents a chance to talk about promiscuity and lifestyle choices with her. We record it on a DVR and blaze past the 20 minutes of commercials.

I bought Band of Brothers but have yet to start it -- too many wives and kids around here... ;)
  • jkn
    edited February 2007
    We've been watching a number of dvd's lately that we bought a while ago and for some reason never got to. The freezing cold and snow has a lot to do with sitting snug in our living room under blankets and watching tv! :-)

Citizen Kane - Widely considered one of the best films ever made, and it is quite the film. Powerful, excellent filming, good story, good acting - it's all there. I enjoyed it. 2 disc set has a documentary nearly as long as the film that I haven't watched yet - I'm very interested to learn more about the controversy with William Randolph Hearst, etc...

Biloxi Blues - picked up in the bargain bin a few months ago, I last saw it closer to when it came out in the late 80's. Matthew Broderick and Christopher Walken in a Neil Simon story about army boot camp at the tail end of World War II. Enjoyable.

Chocolat - our Valentine's day movie... ;) My wife bought this ages ago and it was just one we never got into the player. What a gem of a movie.

Big Fish - This was really good. Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney were a perfect match. Tim Burton did a great job on this one - definitely dialing back some of his more eccentric bits for the Albert Finney side and showcasing what he's fantastic at during the Ewan McGregor 'stories'. Oddly - Danny Elfman seemed to dial down the music a bit and it was perfect for the movie.

Sleepy Hollow - Speaking of Tim Burton... My wife watched all of it and I watched the last half (working...) - you can't beat Burton's style...

America's Sweethearts - Uneven, but generally funny. There's a lot of good parts, but not one I'll be seeking out to see again (and I generally love to watch movies over and over...)

Stargate Atlantis Season 1 - I'm a huge SG-1 fan and I bought Atlantis on sale back in November - we're seven episodes in and I'm definitely enjoying the new galaxy. Thank goodness everyone in the Universe speaks English. Still don't care much for Dr. Weir...
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    Tim Burton is one of my absolute favorites. I have to say I liked Sleepy Hollow but was massively disappointed... this story and Tim seemed to have been on a collision course since Frankenweenie and it fell flat toward the end.
    I love the windmills and scarecrows, but beyond some stellar art direction served to his sensibilities on a silver platter, the movie was a bit thin.

Same went with the other obvious choice in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Another movie destined to fall in Burton's hands -- only to fizzle.

My favorites remain Edward Scissorhands (along with Elfman's score) and Ed Wood.