convert .wma to .mp3?

PhantomOG
PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I brought a usb drive to work full of .wma encoded files only to find out xmms won't play them, and xine is a pain in the @ss. :mad:

What is the best program for converting .wma files (unprotected, no DRM) to .mp3 files? In particular I'm looking for something that can take the .wma file info (artist etc.) and create/translate that into the .mp3 ID tag correctly. Last night I tried using a program called "switch" which was decent sound quality wise but didn't create the tags.
Post edited by PhantomOG on

Comments

• Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited January 2007
    I don't know if it's the best, but I have used Nero to do this and never had any problems.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • PhantomOG
    edited January 2007
    Do you know if the ID tags were created? I had no idea Nero had this capability.
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited January 2007
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... I don't know for sure. I converted a ton of tracks for my daughters mp3 player about six months ago and haven't done anything like that since so I don't really remember. The mp3's all had title-track-artist info displayed on her player but I don't enough about tags to know if that indicates the tags were created properly or not.

If you want, you can email me a wma and I will convert it to mp3 for you, send it back, and you can check for yourself. Let me know.

DJ

edit: I take that back, those were actually cda files that I converted to both mp3 and wma. So I don't know if that helps you or not. The offer still stands though.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • PhantomOG
    edited January 2007
    That's alright. I have nero, I'm just at work at the moment. cda is audio cd so that's slightly different. I have a gut feeling nero won't do what I'm needing but I'll check it out when I get home.

My main problem is the file names don't contain the artist names, so I really need the tags to be created properly so that xmms will give me more than just the filename.
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited January 2007
    dBPower Amp is a nice program for this purpose. Just be aware, that regardless of the program, transcoding from one compressed format to another compressed format will result in significant degredation of audio quality.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    dBpowerAMP. Great program for batch conversions.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PhantomOG
    edited January 2007
    just what I'm looking for. Thanks.