Air Force reservist fired from her civilian hospital job

Polk65
Polk65 Posts: 1,405
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
Executive Fired Over Service In Iraq
By Debora Villalon

"Jan. 23- KGO - A San Francisco woman, an Air Force reservist, says she served her country, and lost her job. Now she's suing her former employer for wrongful termination. This lawsuit could be a test of federal job protections. Lt. Col. Debra Muhl, U.S. Air Force Reservist: "I want the message to go out, that this does happen."

For ten years, Debra Muhl balanced management duties at Sutter Health with military duties as an air-evac nurse. Her Air Force career boasts tours in Somalia, Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq, and dozens of medals. But Muhl says her boss at Sutter objected.

Sutter in a statement- insists it has "a strong and generous leave policy"; That Muhl's position was eliminated "to reduce costs" and "the decision made well prior to her need for military leave."

But Muhl says she was a $175,000 dollar a year executive, she was in on budget talks, and her job was never on the block."

continued ...

I saw her interviewed on this evening's news. Six deployments in 15 years and fired a few days before Christmas. Her boss is upset that this "disrupts the office"? Google News has only a few links to this story. Her former boss should hear some comments on this. http://www.sutterhealth.org/contact/
Post edited by Polk65 on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2007
    What a sad story.
  • Polk65
    edited January 2007
    I want to put a face on this story because the news makes it sound like she is just a well paid paper pusher who is sorry that she lost her job.

On the news there was a photo of her operating on a solider in the field. Online all I can find is this one, which is ironically from a Sutter Health brochure when she was an asset.

http://www.sutterhealth.org/health/publications/sh_nurse_sp2004.pdf
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2007
    I'd hit it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    I'd hit it.

BDT

:confused::confused: Maybe you're seeing something I'm not....:(

Anyway, it should be interesting to see what the law does for her in this case, especially since we are talking about a $175,000/year job. Definately not a position that is easy to replace.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited January 2007
    If it was a stuffed animal...Troy would hit it:) :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    tonyb wrote:
    If it was a stuffed animal...Troy would hit it:) :p

Yeah...he talks big...but I guarantee LW would be the one doing most of the "hitting"...mainly on his head! :D
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2007
    hapenned in San Fran? yeah, theres a surprise :rolleyes:
    San Fran loves the military, much the way I love getting dental work with dull rusty tools
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2007
    I think it is kinda sad it takes an O-5 losing her job to highlight this. I have known many reservists that have had this happen, may of them lowly enlisted who took a pay cut to go over there in the first place.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    wNDEzNzQzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE.jpg
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    On the plus side of all of this, it sounds like her employer is screwed. I hope she gets wealthy from this and goes off to do something she loves.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Polk65
    edited January 2007
    response: "Sutter Health has supported Ms. Muhl during multiple separate military leaves of absence, and while the timing was regrettable, the recent termination of Ms. Muhl had nothing to do with her military deployment. For many months, leaders of the cardiac program had been assessing ways to keep the cardiac services available to patients while reducing costs. The decision to eliminate Ms. Muhl's position was part of that assessment – made well prior to Ms. Muhl providing notice of her need for leave.

We offered Ms. Muhl a generous severance package, which included assistance in finding another job. We also provided her with supplemental pay during her deployment in 2006 despite the fact that her position had been eliminated.

SutterHealth.com SutterHealth.org
    Karen Garner 916-286-6770

News coverage has not increased much in the last 24 hours. Hopefully the USERRA of 1994 (1) (2) will be interpreted correctly when this enters the judicial phase. I have no connection to this other than feeling sick that her employer would kick her to the curb.