Polkfest Northwest

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited February 2007 in Gatherings & Special Events
Just throwing this out there, send it back if you don't want it...

Who would be interested in attending a Polkfest in Washington State? I realize that most of our members are on the other side of the country, but hopefully some of you could still attend.

I have no date in mind at this point, so please vote for what you would be most interested in. If you are indifferent please comment on that as well. Both for you would never attend or would likely attend whenever.

The exact location is Duvall, Washington. It is about 30 minutes northeast of Seattle. The airport of choice is SeaTac. Anyways, I can give more details later.

I'm not trying to have this compete for the Polkfest of the year, and I do realize that by having something like this on the west coast, many of you could not attend. Like I said, just throwing it out there.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    Cool.. i'd be up for a NWPF for sure.

count me in. although I voted for late spring 07, autumn 07 would be good for me too. Summer 08 is way out.. but shouldn't be a problemo either.

Seems like there are enough West coast Polkie around now on here that this would be tons of fun.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2007
    I`m in..
    As DB stated, I `m up for all times ,but planning ahead has never been much of a strong suit with me....

Just let me know....we need to get the right coasters over to our neck `o da woods ...!!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited January 2007
    I'd be interested AND I'd be interested in knowing what a "Polkfest" ACTUALLY is. I know it's a gathering of Polkies, but what do you do? Paint me a picture please?
    DangerBoy & I could carpool / airplane pool?
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    SeaTac is on the map and easy enough to get to. I would say no to Spring as some of us will be bumping heads in Portland this March. Summer or Autumn perhaps?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2007
    I'm pretty maxed out w/2007 travel but I'd love to come out west in 08

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Polk65
    edited January 2007
    Bottom, on the blue line above, click on System Showcase then search "Polkfest" and "Gathering". Plenty of pictures to paint a story. Hitch a ride and be in the next episode. Just watch out for the guys with the big heads. They have a big appetite and when food runs out they look at you kinda funny.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2007
    I would love to take a trip out there next summer.
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited January 2007
    Absolutely! I, also, am not one to plan too far out, so I'm up for anytime.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2007
    I'd be interested AND I'd be interested in knowing what a "Polkfest" ACTUALLY is. I know it's a gathering of Polkies, but what do you do? Paint me a picture please?
    DangerBoy & I could carpool / airplane pool?

Well it's just a good time is the best way to describe a PolkFest. Good friends, good conversation, good to talk and share information in real time with other lovers of audio. People on here you exchange info with all the time. You get to meet them in person.

Often times there are demo's available to listen to some gear.... some tube gear, speakers, CD players, cables, wires, you name it.. and some people bring things they want to sell or trade or purchase. No shipping that way. It's a win - win for all that attend.

Sometimes Polk Audio sends a rep or two to these as well.

Every Polkie should attend at least one PolkFest in their life. ;)

P.S. Food and alcohol are often times in plenty. :p
  • Polk65
    edited January 2007
    Whatever happened to NXNW ? I had thought of going someday but the website seems to have been gobbled up by SXSW ?

SXSW 2007 keynote speaker - Pete Townshend ???
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2007
    I have seen some nice gear posted up by the Westcoasters and would enjoy a trip to visit old friends and meet some others, get it together for 08.

RT1
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    Moved, my apologies
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • danger boy
    edited January 2007
    that markmarc is a swell guy.... ;)
  • Shizelbs
    edited January 2007
    As I think about this more, there would be at best 5 listening rooms. I have the main living room for HT. It could also be a two channel area, but this would be the HT area. Upstairs in the bonus room would be the main 2 channel area. Both the HT and upstairs have 20 amp circuits. Then I could convert a bedroom into a small 2 channel area. I personally like the idea of a headphone area off in the sitting area, and if need be, the garage could be used. The main problem with my house is that all of these listening areas flow into the other. With the exception of the garage and bedroom, there are no doors to block out noise. Maybe this is just how it has to work and has been at prior PFs.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited January 2007
    Polk65 wrote:
    They have a big appetite and when food runs out they look at you kinda funny.

I was not...I repeat...NOT looking at anyone at the SCpolkfest imagining how they would taste smothered in Banana pudding or A1 steak sauce (note the OR..not the AND...I'm not a complete freak :D)

and I was CERTAINLY not looking at Anna, the yoga chick, thinking the above...LOL
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • danger boy
    edited January 2007
    Shelby, it's up to you man.. but 5 listening areas may be to much to handle for the host. i'd say.. three listening areas would be about right..

I've only been to the one PF, but i can't imagine 5 listening areas and trying to do any critical listening in a room.. without some tunes coming from another room in the house. ;)

Check with Mark, Troy or Russ on this though.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2007
    I'd be there in '08. My liver can only take one per year...
  • Shizelbs
    edited January 2007
    FWIW, if anyone cares, the weather is usually best around here in September. Its still pretty nice in October, but by then its cooling down and getting Autumny.
  • Shizelbs
    edited January 2007
    And another factor. Not too sure how important this is in making my house a viable site. There are no hotels in town. The nearest lodging is probably 10 to 15 minutes from my house. So, lets factor that in as we are discussing my house as being the location.

I have 3 unused guest bedrooms, two with beds, that people would be more than welcome to use, but thats it.
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited January 2007
    Shizelbs wrote:
    FWIW, if anyone cares, the weather is usually best around here in September. Its still pretty nice in October, but by then its cooling down and getting Autumny.

I agree with September. Some of he best weather out here consistently.
    Signature goes here
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    Summer is better for me, being a teacher. Seattle in August is pretty spectacular.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Shizelbs
    edited January 2007
    I checked the prices of Seahawks luxury suites to see if maybe we all could go and split the cost. Yeah, thats not gonna happen.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2007
    Shizelbs wrote:
    I checked the prices of Seahawks luxury suites to see if maybe we all could go and split the cost. Yeah, thats not gonna happen.

That bad eh ?!!

I would think a 10-15 minute ride should be a doable thing for most..
    I haven`t looked into rates for flight , room and car yet, but I think a short ride through the country would be cool...

I remember the hour or so cruizin through MD
    Other than the fact I got lost downtown in a part of town that made Detroit look safe, right before dark, Maryland is a beautiful place....so is Washington

It would be real cool to take a week or two off around that time and Ride the Putt up there....:cool:
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • danger boy
    edited January 2007
    Shizelbs wrote:

not unless Bill Gates is coming to PFNW. :p

good idea though Shelby. :)
  • Mrbojangles528
    Mrbojangles528 Posts: 4
    edited February 2007
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2007
    One of these years.....
    Western region is more cost effective for me.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited February 2007
    I am in for a fall meet. I have a moab mtn bike and camp trip planned already for late March. ;)
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server