What's your dream system?

Options
Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
So what are those pieces of gear/speakers that you'd buy if you had the money, and that would keep you happy for a long while????

Here's mine:

Cary V12R Monoblocks
100WPC Triode, 175WPC Ultra Linear
Uses EL34, 6550, or KT-88 (12 each monoblock :eek: )
I had the AES Sixpacks for a while and loved them; these are supposed to be the mama's of the sixpacs.

Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature
Never heard them, but they are gorgeous; 92 db efficient

Some day I WILL have these....that's my dream

Bring it on.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Options
    HT..
    I just found out Tyler Acoustics is based out of Kentucky. In fact, the drivers are made in this po'dunk town of Eminence about 30 minutes outside of the 'ville..
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Options
    My dream system? Well, it would probably be below what most of you guys already have.

Dodd Audio MLP (with remote)
    massive B&K stereo amp....or better yet, two monoblocks
    Monitor Audio GS60
    my current CDP
    Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck
    equally good TT
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • noimposse
    noimposse Posts: 264
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Im a poor college kid, so if I could just get myself a whole setup I would be golden.

Aside from the cabling and rti4's I already have, I think I'd like to get a csi3, another set of 4's for surrounds, a decent receiver (avr245 maybe) and an x-sub.

Realistic dreams.....when I get a job.
    Ghetto Rig
    Power: HK AVR245.
    Screen: LG 24" 1080p.
    Speaks: Rti4.
    Source: PC. PS3. Xbox360.
    Cables: BlueJeans. Monoprice.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I've pretty much got mine. I'd keep the speaks, amp, pre (though a remote would be a nice touch) and SACD player. The TT, I wouldn't mind moving up the ladder. Cabling too.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with mine but I'd want an avid turntable and some really big expensive speakers to round it out.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2007
    Options
    beefy tube amplification for my ar9's or carver platinums. whatever would get the job done, I wonder if HTrookies dream Cary amp would fit that bill?
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Ricardo
    edited February 2007
    Options
    HT..
    I just found out Tyler Acoustics is based out of Kentucky. In fact, the drivers are made in this po'dunk town of Eminence about 30 minutes outside of the 'ville..

I knew they were in KY, but didn't know they were so close; We need to schedule a "commando" visit ;)

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited February 2007
    Options
    A Bose 7.10 SUR-OUND Sounnnnd Sys with Jensen Amplification!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Short of buying a new (larger) house, with the little room I'm stuck with for 2 channel I can't think of anything better than what I have.

For me, that is ;)
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2007
    Options
    WIRELESS REARS! Talk about amazing sound. And it has 1280 WATTS of power.
    DAVFX900W.jpg
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    I knew they were in KY, but didn't know they were so close; We need to schedule a "commando" visit ;)

And of course you have Thiel Audio just a short trip away in Lexington as well.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Whudda thunk it? The land of horses, bourbon, and audio...
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I definitely would get the Linbrook Super Towers.

Everything else I would keep the same of my upcoming system.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    Options
  • mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I've got my dream headphone setup. Sony MDR-R10 headphones for classical, opera, acoustic, anything with prominent vocals. Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 headphones for rock, pop, metal. Singlepower SDS tube headphone amp. I use a different set of NOS tubes for each of these headphones. I like to pair this combo up with a warm, smooth source. Most of you wouldn't believe how great headphones can sound until you hear this gear :D

With speakers I'm still too inexperienced to know for sure what my dream is. I'm *guessing* that it would probably involve a pair of the Tannoy Dimension series speakers - probably the TD8 or TD10; the TD12's might be too big for me. I'm basing this on my love for the much more affordable Eyris DC3 - the Dimension series looks like their high-end version of the Eyris DC's. Cost of entry is pretty high though; I think the TD8's start at around $8K and they go up from there. For preamp I would probably want another Singlepower SDS or maybe a Singlepower Maestro specially modified for preamp duties. For power amp I'm thinking one of the newer PS Audio digital amps (GCA-200?).

I'm not too picky on sources. Just give me warm, smooth redbook and I'm happy. I would like to try a nice vinyl rig sometime, though.
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Wilson watt puppies, BAT VKD5SE, BAT VK-31, Magnum Dynolab tuner, Krell balanced 200, Zoethecus stand, Audio magic sourcerer balance interconnects, Audio magic sourcerer speaker wires 9 ft each

Okay, I made all of that up. . . copied it from someone else's rig.

Bet is sounds pretty damned good, though.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited February 2007
    Options
    My dream speaker rig would include a dedicated room of the proper dimensions, materials, furnishings, and acoustic treatments. Also, it would be well isolated and free of nearby denizens that might protest loud sounds at all hours :D

I'm thinking something in the range of 14x19x8 would be good. Solid foundation for the floor and solid walls (no suspended wood floor).
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Dream speakers would be VMPS Super Towers (see pic; different veneer, though), Wadia CDP, Promitheus TVC, and a huge Pass Labs or Plinius amp.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    Options
    JM Lab Utopia Micro's w/ Utopia Sub. Sounded absolutely incredible when I heard it at a local Hifi shop.

I'd need to figure out what gear would sound best, but I know I would keep my interconnects and speaker wire. I'd probably go the Musical Fidelity since I've always thought their gear sounded like it was competing with equipment a level higher.

Oh, and some decent room treatment as well.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • whitetruk
    whitetruk Posts: 308
    edited February 2007
    Options
    mac mc1000`s four of them
    sonic frontiers pre
    I thought it was fairly amusing also. The Polk Ogre doesn't always get 'it'
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Options
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Polk Audio 1.2TL, McIntosh MC602 Power Amp 600 wpc, C220 Tube Pre, Esoteric UX-1 Universal Player, I could easily, switch those Polks out for Wilson Audio Maxx's. I have a recording ot Mahler's Symphony No.2 un Georg Solti where in the 5th mvt (depends if you count the short 4th as a complete mvt or intro to 5th)., someone drops their part on the floor. These are the only two speakers I have been able to hear it and know that it is paper hitting the floor. There are also places in the recording where the timpanist playes almost too soft to here, but it sounds RIGHT with these two pair. I know that they come from two different directions in speaker design but in this instance, both speakers achieve a tonal balance for me on this recording. BTW when I heard these speakers it was 15 years apart but both were driven by McIntosh electronics.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Options
    xsmi wrote:
    Polk Audio 1.2TL, McIntosh MC602 Power Amp 600 wpc, C220 Tube Pre, Esoteric UX-1 Universal Player, I could easily, switch those Polks out for Wilson Audio Maxx's. I have a recording ot Mahler's Symphony No.2 un Georg Solti where in the 5th mvt (depends if you count the short 4th as a complete mvt or intro to 5th)., someone drops their part on the floor. These are the only two speakers I have been able to hear it and know that it is paper hitting the floor. There are also places in the recording where the timpanist playes almost too soft to here, but it sounds RIGHT with these two pair. I know that they come from two different directions in speaker design but in this instance, both speakers achieve a tonal balance for me on this recording. BTW when I heard these speakers it was 15 years apart but both were driven by McIntosh electronics.

Wow very nice resolution there to pick that up and great ears there Bro.
  • xsmi
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Yeah it startled me the first time I heard it.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2007
    Options
    HT..

Tyler Acoustics uses the world-renowned Seas Excel drivers, based out of Norway:

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?exact_match=yes&product=SEE&cart_id=8804286.23691

My dream speaker also uses Seas Excels, the Linkwitz Orion:

http://linkwitzlab.com/orion_us.htm

Probably the greatest sounding speaker in the world. I had a chance to audition a pair here in Columbus and they are absolutely amazing. Dipole > Monopole
  • xsmi
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Mazeroth,

Were they in someones home? How do you live so close to PRogressive Audio and not go broke?
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2007
    Options
    xsmi wrote:
    Mazeroth,

Were they in someones home? How do you live so close to PRogressive Audio and not go broke?

Yeah, they were in a guy's house named Jeff Bookwalter. He's listed on Linkwitz's site to give demos. Nicest guy you could meet, with a KILLER house and audio room.

Ummm, as far as Progressive Audio goes, I've been there twice just to look around. I can't stand the way they treat customers, as if we're all a bunch of morons. I also gave up on commercial speakers about two years ago and have since been designing and building my own. I posted a thread here about my line array build:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27913&highlight=line+array

I'm now working with SoundEasy V13 (very nice speaker design software) to develop my newest speakers, which *should* be superior to the Linkwitz Orions in about every way. They will be a three-way active dipole speaker with dual 12" subs, dual 7" mids and a 28mm (1 1/8") tweeter. They will be crossed over at 30hz to my infinite baffle sub, so technically it will be a four-way setup. I'll be posting details on that build once it takes place, which probably won't be for another month or two due to the extremely cold weather.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Mazeroth wrote:
    Tyler Acoustics uses the world-renowned Seas Excel drivers, based out of Norway

Funny... I suppose the review I read was a bit dated. Let me rephrase... as of 2001 all drivers were made in-house. Or at least in-state. I take it they've expanded since:D
  • Ricardo
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Their Pro Dynamics line use the Eminence drivers.

SOPA
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks HT.... looks like everyone gets a gold star today:)

btw The wife and I will also be transporting a piano next weekend, so it looks like a Uhaul is in my future.