edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
According to ESPN Cold Pizza.

Thoughts?
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    Quick update -- the ESPN source said he retired. Other sources have just stated he stepped down from the Cowboys. Obviously 2 very different things...
  • up2youjoe
    up2youjoe Posts: 114
    edited January 2007
    He has no loyalty to anyone but himself. When the next good offer comes along he will take it. He talks the talk, but does not walk the walk.

His handshake is not worth anything.....IMHO
    No Kids Allowed
    cold, heartless, clueless, greedy 'young professional'
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Jones probably gave Owens a vote of confidence behind closed doors and it was too much for the Big Tuna to stomach...
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    Hasn't he "retired" a bunch of times now?

The guy's in his mid-60's, and not nearly as effective or "into" it as he used to be. It's a good move for him and any team he's involved with at this point.

EDIT : His actual quote. Sounds like retiring to me.
    Parcells wrote:
    "I am retiring from coaching football. I want to thank Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones for their tremendous support over the last four years. Also, the players, my coaching staff and others in the support group who have done so much to help. Dallas is a great city and the Cowboys are an integral part of it. I am hopeful that they are able to go forward from here.

"I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time. I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard. "
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited January 2007
    JJones wanted Romo to remain starting QB - Parcells did not have confidence in him. A parting of the minds. I remeber when Jimmy Johnson snubbed JJones in front of the players following a SB win and the following week he was history.
    [
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    From July unitl they stop playing, coaches average 80-100 weeks. At 65, would you want to put up those hours with the spoiled rotten, self-consumed T.O. Run Bill, run, and enjoy the grandkids.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    Jerry Jones should keep his nose out of trying to do the coaches job. Yes, he has every right. No, it's not right. Micromanagement is crap.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2007
    Great career. He's never been fired despite his fiery temper. I suspect he's tired of it all. He's made a few bucks and he could make a few more with Sunday TV apperances. I don't think he's coming back.
    Carl

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited January 2007
    Why read more into to it than needed? He's simply getting out before all the heavy hoopla over moving. Next year is the last year in TX Stadium. He didn't want to be burdened with all the decision making for a lame duck year as a lame duck coach since he knew he wouldn't be around. He knows he's not the future of the team at his age.

I see it as a classy move for a guy that has never been burdened with an abundance of class........
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2007
    Being a Cowboy fan(Daboyz) I think Jones let him do a lot of what he wanted except for bringing in T.O. I think T.O. had a little to do with it but if you watched Parcells toward the end of the season he just wasn't all there. It's the best for both right now. I say we get an interim coach for a year and bring in Cowher when he starts Jonesing(no pun intended) to work again.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited January 2007
    As a Boyz fan I would love to Cower as well. But Cower could not and would not work with JJ.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited January 2007
    I like Sean Payton back in Dallas myself...................
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • daboyz
    edited January 2007
    No way that will happen. It'd be great though. As long as I never hear the name Switzer ever again.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited January 2007
    Ive been a dallas fan forever Ive seen them come and Ive seen them go right now they need a coach that is firm (hardass)strutured and organized. Get the boys rolling again. we all know what happens when there allowed to run free...... they start to get into the papers and the news for reasons that are embarrassing for a NFL star. ..... bring in the new guy as long as he has balls to run the show and not let it run him ....
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2007
    I think Cowher will sit out two years. He will see his daughter into college. He might stay away three years. His reputation and winning record will enable him to get a big payday and a long term contract with an organization that he pleases. Don't count out the North Carolina head coach job if it becomes available. His wife is from NC and they both went to school there.
    Carl

• daboyz
    edited January 2007
    Cowher is basically a pipe deam for us along with Payton. I agree w/Scharcw a disciplinarian may not be bad byt that won't work with T.O. so maybe he will be gone or Jones will get someone who can put up w/him. Romo wants him back.
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited January 2007
    The 2 names being tossed around on ESPN Radio as potential replacements are Wade Phillips and Norv Turner. Not sure either one is all that.
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited January 2007
    OKC news is all over Bob Stoops looking to Dallas. Sounds to me like another "old ball coach" story that failed in the pros and had to come back to the college ranks in the making.