I'm the noobie now

Rivrrat
Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
I thought I'd just say hi to all of you, since I decided to stop lurking.

I'll try not to offend the sensibilities of you longtime posters here, since I'm one of those several thousand post guys on another board or two, and I get the status thing. Although, there have been some issues I probably could've add some info to relating to my occupation (I install and power optical and electical digital telcom eq)

I've learned a thing or two since I started stopping by, like my 10b's probably need some crossover work, and maybe some tweet upgrades. That my wife won't let me spend 350 bucks on e-bay for some SDA 2a's within driving distance (pretty narrow minded of her), and that as much as I thought I was over the top on my A/V stuff, most of you make me look like a piker.

Anyway, I'll post a bit, lurk and lurk a bit, and see how things go. Thanks for the good board.
My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
Post edited by Rivrrat on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    Rule #1 in my book:

Never let your gear affect your decision or opinion on something. Everyone starts somewhere and has somewhat of a budget(although some on this forum might not;) )

Hell I'm just 21 and just recently got into the hobby, so my gear is sub-par pretty much everyone else on these boards.....I still give my opinions though as I'm learning :D

Have fun and stick around.
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited January 2007
    Welcome.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Any chance of you giving an explanation of your screenname?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2007
    Rivvrat, welcome! Post counts don't equal knowledge. Just read a few of my 500+ posts and you'll see what being a noob is all about.

Again, welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask any questions and don't be shy to answer others' questions. You don't have to have 5000 posts to know what you're talking about.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2007
    He appears to be a river-rat. I'm guessing he's an audiophile catfish. Or, a very risky Texas Hold'em player.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited January 2007
    Welcome!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,567
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, post count definitely dosnt equate to your knowledge....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited January 2007
    River rats are people who love to hang out at "the river" in Arizona.

Nice to have someone around here who's a new newbie than me!

Welcome!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Well... I was tossing around two ideas. Living right by the Ohio River, it is often used in a derogatory manner. It was also a pretty prominent character in Night of the Living Dead III.

You never know:D

nevermind: the character was Riverman.... I should have eaten my Wheaties this morning.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Rivrrat
    edited January 2007
    I was born and raised in Seattle, where I lived for 41 yrs before heading to the desert. I used to spend a considerable amout of time thigh deep in rivers chasing salmon and steelhead.

When I moved to Tucson, I considered changing my screen name, which I use everywhere, but a few asked me not to because they wouldn't know who I was anymore.

So I'm still Rivrrat.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    And there you have it...

Again, Welcome to the Forum!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2007
    10b's? your doing allright:D

wife wont let you buy SDA's?, you gotta learn to hide money tiger ..LOL
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2007
    what side of tucson you located? enjoyin' the snow?

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Rivrrat
    edited January 2007
    A little West of Oro Valley, a Few blocks East of Arthur Pack Park. We didn't have any snow stick up here.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited January 2007
    Welcome. I'm sure you'll like it here.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited January 2007
    Lots of fishing to be had around here......
    Beware of what you might catch though!! Welcome.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2007
    Rivrrat wrote:
    A little West of Oro Valley, a Few blocks East of Arthur Pack Park. We didn't have any snow stick up here.
    i'm far eastside. another member named wes lives pretty close to you. that side is sure booming as far a development from a few years ago.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    Welcome! It's always good to get new members, and we always love it when someone introduces themselves!

Sit back, grab a beer, and let the good music roll!
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2007
    Welcome aboard. Go get some SDA's. She won't talk to you for about a week or two, but it will be a good time to find the sweet spot and system setup.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited January 2007
    I've thought for the longest time that this would be a much better forum if we could get a few more people to use the word "piker" ;)

So Welcome Aboard.
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Welcome aboard. Go get some SDA's. She won't talk to you for about a week or two, but it will be a good time to find the sweet spot and system setup.

I like that...look for the positive side of things.

Welcome riverrt.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Rivrrat
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the hearty welcome all. Being an old timer board poster, I realize an intro on a new board is a nice way to start.

And to answer the question nobody asked, but I'm sure a couple wondered.

Pioneer Elite vsx80txv a/v receiver
    Oppo 981 dvd player
    Panny 5 disc dvd (for cd's now)
    Polk Monitor 10b's (bought new in 85)
    Polk Rt/fx rears (recent e-bay purchase)
    Polk Csi 3 center (recent new e-bay purchase)
    Philips 50" hd plasma
    Polk Atrium 45's out by the pool/patio area

And the usual collection of older stuff laying around collecting dust.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    Welcome Rivrrat! Post counts DO NOT equate to knowledge or tenure look at my posts and the short time I aquired them. . . I'm frequently wrong! My saving grace is that I do however admit it. LOL
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    Rivrrat wrote:
    Thanks for the hearty welcome all. Being an old timer board poster, I realize an intro on a new board is a nice way to start.

And to answer the question nobody asked, but I'm sure a couple wondered.

Pioneer Elite vsx80txv a/v receiver
    Oppo 981 dvd player
    Panny 5 disc dvd (for cd's now)
    Polk Monitor 10b's (bought new in 85)
    Polk Rt/fx rears (recent e-bay purchase)
    Polk Csi 3 center (recent new e-bay purchase)
    Philips 50" hd plasma
    Polk Atrium 45's out by the pool/patio area

And the usual collection of older stuff laying around collecting dust.

I admit, I was a little bit curious ;)
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2007
    Welcome Rivrrat! You've got some nice equipment and if you hang around here you'll catch the upgrade bug LOL! There is a lot of nice people here who love audio/video and are good for opinions and ideas. Welcome to Club Polk Forums!
    Carl

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2007
    Welcome to the club!