Jazz Recommendations

rskarvan
rskarvan Posts: 2,374
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hi all,

I want to expand my listening from mostly pop and rock to include some good jazz. Can people make a few recommendations of some jazz favorites? What I'm looking for is more/less a top twenty all time jazz favorites list.

Thanks.

Ron
Post edited by rskarvan on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    My Top 3 :

Dave Brubeck - Take Five
    Charlie Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
    Miles Davis - Complete Birth of the Cool

Other great names :
    Vince Guaraldi
    Herbie Hancock
    Thelonius Monk
    Duke Ellington
    Louis Armstrong
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2007
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    New stuff by Pepsi is okay.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited January 2007
    Bob how does "Complete Birth' compare to Kind of Blue? I've never listened to it, and well, Kind Of Blue, even non-jazz listeners like myself are familiar with.

SACD maybe?
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited January 2007
    After 1 listen, Dave Koz - The Dance has become my favorite
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited January 2007
    David Koz is good stuff. My mom got me into his stuff. Albeit she is a huge (cough Kenny G cough Yanni cough) fan.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    Wynton Marsalis is amazing. He's also still alive.

Honestly, one of the best trumpet players I've ever heard.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited January 2007
    aaharvel wrote:
    David Koz is good stuff. My mom got me into his stuff. Albeit she is a huge (cough Kenny G cough Yanni cough) fan.

I can finally say I've moved away from listening to Kenny G :o but Pat Metheny - Letter From Home is still probably the CD I've listened to the most my whole life. A nice mix of piano and guitar. He plays the guitar so fast and accurate, it's hard to tell whether it's a piano or guitar playing.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    aaharvel wrote:
    Bob how does "Complete Birth' compare to Kind of Blue? I've never listened to it, and well, Kind Of Blue, even non-jazz listeners like myself are familiar with.

SACD maybe?

Not sure if it's available in SACD format. I don't personally have it on SACD.

I would say it's almost as well-known as Kind of Blue. It's quite a bit earlier (10 years or so), so a little less.... refined, i guess, than Kind of Blue.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2007
    I can finally say I've moved away from listening to Kenny G

I never thought in a million years I'd own a Kenny G CD. Then one day I was listening to the radio and there was a beautiful rendition of "Summertime" being played. When I found out it was Kenny G, I was like, "Dammit!"

Long story short -- I recently bought one of his CDs of classic remakes and a couple of songs on there are excellent.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,705
    edited January 2007
    When I started getting into jazz, I used NPRJazz's "Basic Library" as a starting point. The website used to have more detail, but you can still find quite a bit of info here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4565717
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited January 2007
    I'm a big fan of Arturo Sandoval - Hot House. More of Latin Groove, but it has great brass. Rhythm of Our World is actually what I'm currently listening to. :)
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited January 2007
    This is kind of interesting from allaboutjazz.com - columns about building a jazz collection from many different era's and styles. It's hit and miss... http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article_center.php?in_type=72

My personal favorites are 60's era Blue Note records, a lot of Herbie Hancock, and it's hard not to like Miles. We toss on the traditional jazz channel on XM a lot.