window air leak

POLKOHOLIC
POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
I live in a small apartment with 2 windows. On windy days I can feel air coming through them - when they are shut. How do I go about solving this. It gets a bit chilly even with the heat on.

The windows are the type that slide up and down. Single pane I believe. I hope the window does not need to be replaced.
Post edited by POLKOHOLIC on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    Cauking and there is a plastic that is sold at Home Depot or Lowes that you place over the windows in the winter and use a hairdryer to shrink it. It definetely keeps the cold air out and the warm air in.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    The DIY network has an episode about caulking the outside. The show notes are on their website. http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hm_other/article/0,2085,DIY_16808_4241095,00.html
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    Cauking and there is a plastic that is sold at Home Depot or Lowes that you place over the windows in the winter and use a hairdryer to shrink it. It definetely keeps the cold air out and the warm air in.

Could you please elaborate on this plastic? It seems very doable.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    POLKOHOLIC wrote:
    Could you please elaborate on this plastic? It seems very doable.

I used it a few years back. You place it over the entire window. I think you use some kind of tape that will match your paint. Then you use a hair dryer like you would on shrink wrap and viola instant insulation.
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    I used the plastic as well, and it seems to work rather nicely... If you dont mind not being able to look at the window, you could also do what I did... Get a piece of "egg crate" the stuff you put on a bed to make it more comfortable, that will block the wind most defnately..
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/wi_maint/article/0,2037,DIY_14423_2268595,00.html

I thought they used a special type of thick plastic for doing this. Does regular kitchen plastic wrap work?
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    edited January 2007
    Polk65 wrote:
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/wi_maint/article/0,2037,DIY_14423_2268595,00.html

I thought they used a special type of thick plastic for doing this. Does regular kitchen plastic wrap work?

I suppose it may, but I think(dont qoute me) they use a much higher strength plastic.. Something around 10 mill..
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    POLKOHOLIC wrote:
    I live in a small apartment with 2 windows. On windy days I can feel air coming through them - when they are shut. How do I go about solving this. It gets a bit chilly even with the heat on.

The windows are the type that slide up and down. Single pane I believe. I hope the window does not need to be replaced.

call your landlord.. that's what they are there for.. and it shouldn't cost you anything if the landlord fixes it as they should.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    edited January 2007
    danger boy wrote:
    call your landlord.. that's what they are there for.. and it shouldn't cost you anything if the landlord fixes it as they should.

Excellent point!
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    the building is owned by a company so there is no real land lord. there is a super on the 2nd floor...I guess I should talk to him about it. I wasn't aware that it was the landlords responsibility though..
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    POLKOHOLIC wrote:
    the building is owned by a company so there is no real land lord. there is a super on the 2nd floor...I guess I should talk to him about it. I wasn't aware that it was the landlords responsibility though..

unless you own the building, which I don't think you do.. it's the landlord/super's job to fix it. why should you have to pay anything for repairs or fixes to something you don't own?

Just trying to get you to see it the correct way.. he or she may say.. for you to fix it, then give them the bill for the repairs.. that is rare though.

super = Mr. handyman
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    haha i was thinking something a bit more professional
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited January 2007
    Actually, in most tenant's contracts they sign, the house only has to be dry and a shelter over the head from the elements. I know with my tenants, if they called about me fixing the windows, they'd be fresh outta luck. Just because you have to crank up the heater a little bit more, hardly makes the house/apartment unlivable.

Use the window shrink wrap. It's like $12 at Lowes/HD. It'll do the trick, until you get better insulated windows.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    can you send me a link to the shrink wrap?

the apartment is livable but gets a bit chilly at times. the heat is controlled by the super i believe... also, my heater makes hissing sounds...whats up with that? can i complain to the super about that?
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2007
    reminds me of when I lived in a crappy apartment building in upstate NY for school. It had central heating and the super controlled the temp. Tenants on the ground floor were always complaining to him about how cold it was, meanwhile, I lived on the top floor (3rd) and it was always too hot. I'd have to keep my windows wide open when it was 10 degrees F outside. He'd always yell at us for opening the windows. :D
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2007
    Try the super route first. Then I've found the shrink wrap works best. Do you have blinds or drapes? Blinds that are mounted inside the sill makes the wrap kind of a pain.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2007
    If you can feel a draft, then there is a void large enough for water to get through if the rain were to hit that side of the apt. I would recaulk the window, on the oustide. Just run a good bead along the joining edges (and don't fall out of the window in the process).

The plastic will stop the draft, too, but should only be considered temporary. Remember, what comes in will also go out... when you want your apt to stay cool in the summer (if you have a/c, that is), some of that cold air is getting back out into the summer breeze.

The plastic mostly will help with the amount of cold air that gets introduced into the room just via the cold glass in the window. Windows are where most heat loss occurs in an otherwise well-insulated home.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited January 2007
    Check that the weatherstrip is not torn or missing on the sash (part that moves up and down). Do you see any daylight peeking through anywhere?