$5,000,000.00

shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've been watching the Barret Jackson auction and a new record was just reached for a 1966 SHELBY COBRA 427 "SUPER SNAKE" with the man himself (Carroll Shelby) watching.

44723_Side_Profile.jpg

Here is the info on the car if you are interested:http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/cardetails.asp?In_AuctionID=221&In_LotNumber=1301

It eclipsed last years record of $4,000,000.00 for the GM Futureliner (a concept bus from 1953). I saw that one live as well.

2006BJCCA2_1307_34.jpg

The SAME GUY bought both of them - Ron Pratte of Chandler AZ. He also bought the 1954 Pontiac Bonneville Special (one off concept car) last year for a little over $3,000,000.00.

bonneville_f34_800.jpg

I understand he may open a museum soon. I've seen pictures of the collection. It is amazing even without the vehicles listed above. I just may have to make a road trip if/when it opens up.
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited January 2007
    That bus is magnificent...
    I'd take the bus over the car anyday, Thanks

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    Nice, but one thing came to mind... That bus looks like a roll over accident waiting too happen.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    I love this stuff!!! Anyone remember the car that never was, the Corvette Mako Shark. . . beautiful, very similar to the Super Snake!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    I'm glad the other bidder on the Futureliner backed down, the Bonneville and Futureliner BELONG in the same collection together.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2007
    That Bonneville looks a lot like the '53 Vette. Look Here
    Carl

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited January 2007
    schwarcw wrote:
    That Bonneville looks a lot like the '53 Vette. Look Here
    which looks an awful lot like a 55 tbird convertible. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited January 2007
    I love the Barrett Jackson auction. I have to hold a cup under my chin every time I watch it though. Kind of embarrassing when my kids see me...
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2007
    that super snake was Shelby's personal car wasnt it? suposed to be a Cobra (allready a ridiculously fast car....3.6 sec to 60) and made it even more powerful. I believe the increased power is via supercharger. read on it somewhere, and remember it being mentioned this car was going to auction. they were presicting 3 mil or so, but 5? HOLY ****
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited January 2007
    Love da bus.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    I saw one of those buses go for 3 million on Barret Jackson about 8 months ago.. I think there's only like 5 or so of them left..
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    Woohoo! I sooo wanted to see that SuperSnake at auction, but didn't know when it was being auctioned off. Glad you posted about it.

Yeah, it was Carol Shelby's personal car. And it has two, count 'em, two Paxton superchargers on that 427 boosting output to 800hp.

:eek:

Carol Shelby also made a Supersnake (only two ever made) for Bill Cosby, but shortly thereafter he either gave it back or sold it, can't remember which. Anyhoo, it ended up being wrecked, junked, bought, and restored, sans the superchargers.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited January 2007
    Here's a story about the Shelby.(Not the super snake) Last year I was working on a old house. Well, as I was doing some cleaning, I came across a 6"x6" square piece of cardboard. But in the middle section was a record built into the cardboard. The printing on it read something like "The sound of the Cobra by Carol Shelby." Evidently, when someone bought a new Shelby, this record came with the car. I found this out on ebay. When played, it had Carol Shelby narrating how the car was on a race course. He explained as he was driving, how the car was when going through the gears and turns. I ended up selling it on ebay.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited January 2007
    Been watching Barrett-Jackson the last 3 years. I've seen some of this years auction (mostly yesterday) and somehow I missed the Cobra auction. That Bus was something else last year (atleast the frenzied bidding) I also remember the excitement surrounding the Bonneville. I wish the Bears weren't on today because now I have to skip Barrett-Jackson. Oh well, they will be running repeats of the auction for the rest of the year.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    that bus is awesome!