SDA-2 Speaker Questions

Options
BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited January 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Well, after shooting the **** with Doro last night and talking about how I was waiting for the right pair of SDA's to come around, someone today listed a pair of SDA-2's locally for what seems like a decent price.

He is asking $250 for the pair however there are a few notable problems. The speakers themselves work flawlessly. There is a large water stain on top of one of the speakers. Also, the speaker grille cloth is starting to come unglued on both grilles, does this mean that they were stored improperly?

I have attached pictures of the actual pieces. Please give me an honest opinion and what you think I should make for an offer.

Thanks,

Mark
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Someone here can give you advice on new grill cloth. The grill cloth on mine is a little heavy, so you probably will hear sonic improvement with new cloth. They look very solid, and if you have some shipped it will cost about $100 for shipping. I'm not sure if the wood is solid or laminate on those tops. If it is solid you should easily be able to refinish the caps. If it is laminate it looks like you should still be able to refinish the top. If the edges of the speaker cabinet are nice and tight I wouldn't worry about the storage issue. I would offer $200 for them, and still would have no problems paying $250
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Well I definately won't need them shipped. Local pickup on these.

I am wondering why the grill cloth became unglued...due to excessive heat maybe? that's what I was worry about.....

As far as a solid or laminate top, I have no idea how the SDA-2 were constructed. I assume solid since a few members here have replaced the tops completely. Id prefer to sand them down and restain them.

Anyone else have any opinions/comments?
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    Options
    If they play good, are solid, come with the cable, the cloth is not really a factor in this purchase. Buy them. Finding good SDA's local like that, at that price, no shipping=no brainer.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2007
    Options
    get em' good luck, they should be relatively easy to bring up to specs cosmetically,,have fun :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    Options
    George, anything in particular I should look out for?
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Go get them; if they were perfect they wouldn't cost $250. Try offering less......but get them if they are ok functionally.

Check the drivers; push on the passive radiator to make the drivers move, and see if there's any scratching

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • george daniel
    edited January 2007
    Options
    As Ricardo said,check the drivers,,if you can ,hook em up and listen,if they sound good,,then ,,,grillcloth can be replaced,x-over,tweets,binding posts,etc, can be upgraded if you feel so inclined.I think that you could build a sweet little system with them,,good luck and have fun,,just my .02 worth. :)
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2007
    Options
    They look good! Go get them! Like the guys said, offer him $200. Tell him you like the speakers, but they are a little rough around the edges. I'll bet he'll take less. Make sure you get the interconnect cables. Good luck!
    Carl

• george daniel
    edited January 2007
    Options
    And,,,, did you get em?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Waiting to hear back from the guy as to when we can meet. But yes, more than likely they are sold to me. :)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2007
    Options
    There are currently 4 people interested at the $250 price tag. Told him I'd take them and to get back to me when we could meet.
  • Eiderlon
    Eiderlon Posts: 23
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Bummer, I just read this and missed them...
    Lexicon Toshiba Crown EAW
  • RichCanDo
    RichCanDo Posts: 177
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Black water stains can be removed with oxalic acid. Strip off the finish, clean off the stripper with paint thinner, let dry and then apply generous amounts of Oxalic acid mixed with water. When dry, clean off the Oxalic acid residue with a clean wet cloth until all residue is gone. Do not breath the oxalic acid powder as acts like a sneezing powder!

You can find posts regarding replacing the grill cloth and how to do it. Cloth recommended in most posts will cost about $5 per yard online, in 60 inch widths. If existing cloth in good shape you can probably just reglue it
    Mains; SDA 1.2TL Silk Domes, upgraded xover, biamped w/DBX BX1 200wpc
    Pre-amp: DBX CX1
    Center: CS1000p Rear Surr.; f/x1000
    Parasound HCA-1205A amp; Center & rear
    Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra
    DVD: Denon 3910
    Tuner, FM: Onkyo Integra T-9090II
    Cassette: Onkyo Integra TA-2090
    VCRs: JVC HD4000U digital, HRS8000U SVHS
    Signal Processing: DBX; 10/20 EQ, SNR-1, 120X-DS, 3BX-DS, DAV-600G Router, Onkyo EQ-35
    Conditioning: Monster AVS2000, HTS5100MKII
  • RichCanDo
    RichCanDo Posts: 177
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Just by looking at the photos it appears the caps are veneered as the wood grain on the sides runs horizontal. If solid wood grain would run vertically.
    Mains; SDA 1.2TL Silk Domes, upgraded xover, biamped w/DBX BX1 200wpc
    Pre-amp: DBX CX1
    Center: CS1000p Rear Surr.; f/x1000
    Parasound HCA-1205A amp; Center & rear
    Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra
    DVD: Denon 3910
    Tuner, FM: Onkyo Integra T-9090II
    Cassette: Onkyo Integra TA-2090
    VCRs: JVC HD4000U digital, HRS8000U SVHS
    Signal Processing: DBX; 10/20 EQ, SNR-1, 120X-DS, 3BX-DS, DAV-600G Router, Onkyo EQ-35
    Conditioning: Monster AVS2000, HTS5100MKII
  • bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited January 2007
    Options
    The sides on my 2b's are coming off as well. Looks like a fairly easy project to reattach them and I believe Raife or Doro has a thread out there with the how to.

Good luck and ENJOY!

Chris
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I should add that the peeling sides don't impact the speakers sonically - it's just a cosmetic thing....

C-
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t