DB400 tweeter covers

LeChuck
LeChuck Posts: 5
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello,

I recently bought some 4" DB400 speakers to install in the front doors of my Volvo 240. They seemed like a pretty good qualilty/cost ratio.

Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the fact that the tweeters stick out so much, and are now preventing me from fitting the original Volvo speaker grilles back on (they aren't deep enough).

I haven't tried yet from lack of time and fear of breaking anything, but is there a way to remove the small grille/cover that is already installed on the tweeters and seems to be adding most of the extra length?

Thanks!
Post edited by LeChuck on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    I dont think so although Im not 100% sure.

Can you use the DB grills that came with the set or would that just look like **** in a Volvo?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LeChuck
    edited January 2007
    Hi MacLeod.

They don't fit on the door panels, but even then...they look just as you say :) I knew when I bought the speakers that I wouldn't be using the grilles but I didn't expect that I would have problems fitting the old ones back on.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    How about making a spacer to go between the speaker and the grill. Maybe a 1/4" thick ring cut out of MDF. That should give enough space for the tweeter to clear and still keep the appearance ok.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LeChuck
    edited January 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    How about making a spacer to go between the speaker and the grill. Maybe a 1/4" thick ring cut out of MDF. That should give enough space for the tweeter to clear and still keep the appearance ok.

That's an idea. I will try things like that this weekend and see if I can come up with something. The DB400 has that square metal bracket, and I wanted that because that's what the Volvo grille will normally snap on. It would be perfect if the tweeter was flush. I don't want to have the grilles an inch from the door panels but I'll see how it works.
  • LeChuck
    edited February 2007
    Still haven't found a solution for this. Emailed support for a way to remove the tweeter cover. tried to space the grilles from the speakers but it just won't fit properly. Removing tweeter cover is the only way, or finding another brand (but there aren't many in that size).