2.3TL impedence

Options
riglehart
riglehart Posts: 276
edited January 2007 in Vintage Speakers
The 1.2/2.3/3.1 TL manual says these speakers are "Compatible with 8 ohm outputs". However, don't they vary all the way down to 2 ohms, depending on the music?

I want to hook them up to a Jolida 202 tube, which I have confirmed is common ground. Do I use the 4 ohm or the 8 ohm connections? Or do I just try them both and use the ones that sound best? I don't want to burn out my amp/tubes, if that is even possible.

BTW. This is the first tube amp I've ever owned. Man it sounds SWEET compared to the SS stuff I own.
Jolida Tube
Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
Standard equip not worth bragging about.
Post edited by riglehart on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I'd use the 4 ohm connection. I'd be interested to know how your amp drives the 2.3's as I have a pair. Good luck!
    Carl

• riglehart
    riglehart Posts: 276
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Just got around to hooking this up to my 2.3TL today. It drives them very nicely. I went from a bi-amp using my NAD 753 and NAD 2200 top/bottom, and this sounds much better.

Here's a few bullet points of my observations.

1) At lower listening levels, it sounds REAL nice. Before it seemed like I had to crank up the SS equipment to louder volume before I started to hear details.

2) It doesn't play as loud, but I don't feel like I need to turn it up (see #1).

3) It seems like the drivers are moving less, but putting out more music than the other setup.

4) I got these 2.3 last summer and have gone from a Yammaha Receiver (85 rms), to an NAD 1700 preamp + 2200 amp (140 rms), to a biamped config with NAD 753 (150 rms) + 2200 amp, and now this. Plus cominations of the above while tinkering. Every step has incrementally been better.

I'm sold on tube power. I am curious now of what a tube preamp with a SS amp would sound like. The Jolida is a pre and amp combined.
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
    Standard equip not worth bragging about.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Try using the NAD 2200 on bottom with the Jolida up top...........this will give you the volume with sweet highs.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Eiderlon
    Eiderlon Posts: 23
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Unless the impedance is Way weird, any good speaker will match any good amp.
    Lexicon Toshiba Crown EAW