Center Channel for SDA 2A

Options
SMP
SMP Posts: 13
edited January 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I have a vintage pair of SDA 2A's. I'm looking for a matching center channel. I want to get into surround sound audio and video. I'm wondering what you vintage Polk fans are using for your center channel with success and satisfaction. Thanks for your help.:cool:
Post edited by SMP on

Comments

• shoester5
    shoester5 Posts: 51
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hey SMP, I’m currently using a pair of SDA SRS 2.3TL’s for my fronts and a Pair of SDA 2B’s for the rears with a CS400 for the center channel. I’m very happy with this setup. I believe others from this group are using either the CS400 or the CS400i with very satisfactory results. I also think the timbre match of these two center channel speakers is very close to the SDA line.
    shoester5
    sub: M & K MX90
    Carver CT29V
    Carver TLM-3600
    Carver TFM-35X
    2-Carver TFM-15CB
    Carver TFM-6CB
    Denon DP51F
    DBX 3BX
    AudioControl C-101
  • SMP
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Thanks shoester5!

The polk website only offers the CSi5. Do you or does anyone know if the CSi5 has the same timbre match? Or do I need to look for the older models on E-Bay or Audiogon?

Thanks everyone for your time. I appreciate it. :)
  • shoester5
    shoester5 Posts: 51
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Sorry, I only have experience with the early CS line but hopefully, someone with more experience will respond.
    shoester5
    sub: M & K MX90
    Carver CT29V
    Carver TLM-3600
    Carver TFM-35X
    2-Carver TFM-15CB
    Carver TFM-6CB
    Denon DP51F
    DBX 3BX
    AudioControl C-101
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2007
    Options
    SMP, I have a rig nearly identical to Shoester. I have SRS-SDA 2.3's in the front, SDA-2's in the rear. I upgraded all my tweeters (all ten of them) with the RDO-194 soft dome (silk) tweeters. I'm using a CSi40 for my center. The CSi5 is the new series replacement for the CSi40. However the CSi5 has the Vifa tweeter and not the silk dome. If you are using the RDO replacement tweeter in your SDA-2A's, I would suggest that you consider the CSi40. There are two of them for sale in the Polk Flea Market.
    Carl

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    Options
    SMP Do you want a small or large center speaker? Listen to your music or movies loud? What is your video display... TV or projection?

currently recommended by Polk: CSi5 (shielded for use near CRT tv's)
    recently recommended by Polk: CS400i/CS400 (shielded for use near CRT tv's)
    vintage option: SDA CRS+ (NOT shielded but you can do-it-yourself with a little work)

Based on what I have read, the CS400 is a little "brighter" than the CS400i and might be a better match for your original sl2000 tweeters. The sl2000 tweeters are judged as sounding "bright" by many listeners but if you like them keep 'em. If you do find them "bright" you can purchase updated tweeters directly from Polk Audio which sound smoother. Mention you are a Club Polk member when you call. If you do upgrade the tweeters I would suggest the CS400i which was reworked to sound a little softer than it's older brother.

There is one large center option from the same time period as your SDA 2a's. The CRS+ aka Compact Reference System will timbre match very well and is sometimes used as a center.

Search the vintage and speaker forums for "timbre match" and "phantom center". One thing I like about the SDA 2 is that it has a good phantom center. It's a free option so give it a listen.

Here's some links to others using SDA's in their home theater.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19587
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47090
    http://mysite.verizon.net/res8ycu4/index.html
  • davidk0512
    davidk0512 Posts: 157
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I have SDA 1Bs with SL2000 tweeters for the front and a CS400i center channel. When sound level calibrating with pink noise, I hear a slight timbre difference. When watching movies, there is no noticeable difference to me. When listening to music, I'm using 2 channel so it doesn't matter anyway
    David
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I have a very similar set up to shoester5, but I put a single SDA 2 on it's side for a center. I would really like to have a single SRS 2,3TL as a center but that's big bucks.
  • SMP
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Terrific stuff, everyone. Thanks so much, especially knowledge about the different tweeters. You have been very helpful. I can now make an informed decision.