Moving to..........

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
Utah......yup.........Utah......

I was there for 3 weeks over the holidays and I had more fun in the 3 weeks I was there than I have in the past 4-5years that I've spent in IL and AZ. Saw a bunch of friends and of course my sisters and their kids were fun to hang out with as well.

I use to live there for about 6 years and I really liked it.......now for the hardcore job hunt to begin...........

I've got moving companies coming throughout the week to quote me prices so we'll see how much this will end up running.

Wish me luck.
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    Wow, that's a bit of move. Have you been looking to move for a while or did you just decide to throw in the towel after having such a great time there?

Only thing I can say about Utah from personal experience (driving through) is that it's beautiful out there. If you're an outdoors guy, you can call it home.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • brettw22
    edited January 2007
    I'm not an outdoorsish person, but I definitely prefer the scenery of actual mountains than the rock/cactus type things in Arizona.

I haven't been happy with IL and wasn't really that into AZ (mostly because of the job I had at the time) and since I had so much fun being there I decided that it's time to bring some happiness back into my life (sounds corny, but it's true).
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2007
    Congrats Brett. Good luck with the move.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited January 2007
    Congrats brett!!! And....um...are you takeing t-unit with ya??:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • brettw22
    edited January 2007
    I swear I'm starting to look around and actually figure out how much stuff I have and it adds up a lot quicker than you'd think it does........oh well.....

Ideally I should get a job first and hopefully I will, but I know that I'm a hell of a lot happier just thinking about moving than I usually am day in/day out.......
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    Not corny at all. Hell, what's the point in living miserably?

Good luck and congrats!
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2007
    Great....a **** mormon Polkie.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    cool.. you'll have a better time near friends and family again.. good on you. Best of luck..

If you happen to want to lighten your moving load and part with some.. say.. FX1000's... i could be talked into taking them off your hands. :p;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    Good lucK Brett... I wish you the best..
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    dorokusai wrote:
    Uhhh ... Hmmm ... and I didn't think I'd fit it there long term ... Even with my wife and generally conservative attitudes ... I like Utah from a scenic perspective ... but it's a different sort of place in other respects ...
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2007
    Woohoo! Them Morman girls can party! Well, OK, maybe that's not really important to you, but I remember some trips to Salt Lake in my younger days when my buddy was going to see his appointed future wife, and boy-oh-boy did them girls let loose when they could!

Congratulations and good luck. I've always admired those that take the risk of deciding on location first, then worrying about what to do for a living.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    dkg999 wrote:
    Woohoo! Them Morman girls can party! Well, OK, maybe that's not really important to you, but I remember some trips to Salt Lake in my younger days when my buddy was going to see his appointed future wife, and boy-oh-boy did them girls let loose when they could!

Somehow I don't think he cares about any of that. :p

Good luck, Brett. Beautiful state.
  • RSTERN
    RSTERN Posts: 287
    edited January 2007
    Good Luck, and if you run out of room in the moving truck I can take some of the rt16's off your hand.
    mains: rt16
    center: csi40
    surrounds:fx 1000
    sub: SVS 20-39pc+
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2007
    Good luck to ya Brett! You'll do great!
    No excuses!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    Good luck Brett, and hope you find happiness because life desires it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2007
    Hmm...Illinois, Arizona, and now Utah. We definitely have different tastes. I seriously did not realize that anyone actually lived in those places. Like Missouri, Kansas, and Mississippi, I thought those states just existed to allow us to have more stars on our flag. *smile*

I hope the move goes well, and you find a place that better suits your needs. Take care and good luck.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • brettw22
    edited January 2007
    A lot of people have no interest in UT because of the Mormon thing but it's all dependent on your interests. While true there are some limitations on some businesses opening on Sunday or not and only being able to buy liquor in state stores, there are actually more non-momo's there. (yes i was born/raised Mormon)

On the right day, you can either be up in the mountains snow skiing, down in the valley golfing, water skiing a few hour south, or mountain biking a little further south of that. And air so clean you can almost taste it......and I mean that......you literally can tell that you're not ingesting gross air. Not that they don't have some air issues. Because SLC is basically a valley, it takes rain to get the air to clear out of the valley if it's trapped.

I'll get some pics for y'all of the mountain slides up in Park City as well as the post-Olympic mountainside zip line when it thaws out up there.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2007
    The Hallmark channel presents, "Little Techno-Bar on the Prairie".

In this epsiode Brett returns to his roots to find out that the whole town has gone absolutely ****....**** for pulsating beats and flashing lights! Break out your glow sticks girl, this one is not for the faint of heart.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    On the right day, you can either be up in the mountains snow skiing, down in the valley golfing, water skiing a few hour south, or mountain biking a little further south of that.
    ... And if one does care for scenic dessert then Arches, Canyonlands & Dead Horse Point in the southeastern part of the state and Bryce, Zion & Cedar Breaks in the southwestern part of the state are beautiful national/state parks ...
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2007
    Congrats and good luck Brett. Utah is beautiful country and if it makes you happy that's what counts.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2007
    dorokusai wrote:
    He's gonna marry 10 d00ds! :D
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    I'll get some pics for y'all of the mountain slides up in Park City as well as the post-Olympic mountainside zip line when it thaws out up there.

I hope you know I was just kidding with you. I would never group Utah with Mississippi. ;)

I look forward to the pictures.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited January 2007
    Good luck, Brett!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2007
    dorokusai wrote:
    The Hallmark channel presents, "Little Techno-Bar on the Prairie".

In this epsiode Brett returns to his roots to find out that the whole town has gone absolutely ****....**** for pulsating beats and flashing lights! Break out your glow sticks girl, this one is not for the faint of heart.

LOL.....effin gold!!!!

Brett, do what makes ya happy man. gotta be happy at home or youll go batty
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    Brett, I'm happy for you and wish the best of luck. It's great to get around people that make you feel good for a fresh outlook. IIRC the highways in Utah are well maintained. That have anything to do with it? :D

"Little Techno-Bar on the Prairie" I would definitely visit to check this out.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited January 2007
    There's no place like home!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited January 2007
    Good luck, Brett on the move.

You'll do great there. Although the public image of Mormons is rather strait-laced (and they do tend to be conservative), my interactions with Mormons has always been positive. They have their beliefs, to be sure, but the Mormons I've know have been of a "Live and let live" bent.

I was stationed in Idaho Falls, Idaho for 9 months in the Navy. On one of our long weekends, a bunch of us loaded up in a van and decided to drive to Salt Lake, City. Why ? Well .... I guess it was the stupidest thing we could think of at the time. The operative word there was "loaded", I guess.

The moral of this story ? ........ Well ..... I dunno. :o

In any event, you'll do well. Not a bad idea to have a job lined up before you go, though.
    Sal Palooza
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    Moving to..........
    *holds breath*
    brettw22 wrote:
    Utah
    PHEW! I was hoping you wouldn't say NC!! ;):p:D

Kidding aside, hope the move goes as smooth and seamlessly as such a move can.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2007
    Good luck on the move.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2007
    Good Luck Brett and congrats.

Shoot me a pm with your addy, have that item you wanted for the trip.

RT1