E-Bay gripe

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,160
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
This not necessarily about E-bay but seller practices. I won an auction last Friday for a Luxman receiver. The description clearly stated is was in excellent working condition with a few minor dings and scratches but nothing major. This guy is a powerseller with 99.8% postivie feedback.

I send payment on Monday after getting my PayPal account straightened out (haven't used it in a while). Get home from work today and an e-mail waiting telling me the seller has issued a full refund. He goes on to explain that before packing it up they tested the unit out and one channel is out.

WTF, it really pisses me off that he stated clearly in his auction it was in excellent working cond. I passed on 3 other units because I had this in the bag for my office rig. Am I wrong for being so pissed? I mean it's not like he tried to send it anyways. But geez if you are going to state it is in excellent working cond., it better damn well be before you state it in your auction.

Perhaps I'm overreacting, as he doesn't seem to have a history of doing this. It was the right $$$ and a perfect fit (based on his description) for my revamped office rig. Ahhhh perhaps it wasn't meant to be.

Disappointed :( The hunt continues.

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited January 2007
    At least the did not send it to you and tell you that is was working when it left.
    That said, It is disappointing when waiting for an item and it never shows.
    It happened to me with a pair of speakers 1 month later I had to file a complaint and was issued a refund. He never shipped.
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • Toka78
    Toka78 Posts: 192
    edited January 2007
    A bummer for sure...but be glad he had at least enough courtesy to save you the hassle of waiting for the receiver, trying it yourself, working through PayPal for a refund, etc...it could be much worse, trust me. :) Soldier on! You'll find the right one in no time.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2007
    Perhaps he felt he needed to get more $$$ and this is a good way to void the auction? I haven't responded to him because I'm not sure if I have a right to be angry or not. Can feedback be left for uncompleted auctions? At worst I'd leave him neutral ffedback with a note about the unit.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited January 2007
    Yes, you can leave feedback, but if you leave him a nuetral, expect a neg in return.

You can also report him to ebay for non performance.

Maybe wait and see if he re-lists it before doing anything.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2007
    Perhaps it was working the last time he checked. Which may have been several years ago.

Or was this a dealer who should have checked it out before listing it?

Either way, sorry to hear about your disappointment.
    Carl

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    just walk it off.. yeah, better to find out now.. before it was shipped to ya.. then BAM! No worky, WTF???

patience helps on ebay..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • heiney9
    edited January 2007
    I know, I know......I just expect people to do things like I would and that is disclose everything and make sure it functions properly before you list it and say it is in excellent working cond.

On another auction a couple weeks ago I inquired about a piece that was about about 12 years old and never used. I asked if he had tested it and did it work properly. His reply was, "I wouldn't be selling it if it didn't work". So I explained to him there are many people on e-bay who sell stuff that worked when they put it away only to find out after it ships it no longer works properly. I thought it was a fair question

I am thankful he was honest enough to refund and not ship. But I can't help but wonder if he got a better offer from someone outside e-bay and is using this as an excuse to terminate the auction agreement. Who knows............
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Just let it go...There is a lot gear out there and there is always another deal.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    heiney9 wrote:
    I passed on 3 other units because I had this in the bag for my office rig.

That's happened to me a few times, find the unit I want, pass on others, and the seller ends / cancels the auction early. Sucks, but you move on to the next one.

Office rig? Why aren't you shopping here, at good ole' Club Polk?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2007
    heiney9- I've got a luxman receiver that I'd gladly pass on to you if you want it. No charge. It's an R-113... powered my R15's fine, and has preamp outs if you ever want to run separates with it.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2007
    I find it to be happy he didn't ship and move on. My wife keeps telling me things happen for a reason.