Need truck advice

PolkThug
PolkThug Posts: 7,532
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
Looking at used trucks, 2wd, v8, extended cabs, 1997+. They will most likely have around 90k miles already on them.

I think I've got it narrowed down to the Dodge Ram 1500 or Ford F150.

Any experiences, opinions, what to look for?

Thanks
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    Don't quote me on it but I heard dodge trucks are notorious for transmission problems and weak frames.

My dad has always had chevy trucks since the early 90s and never had any problems.

My cousins have always used ford trucks since the early 90s and never had problems.

When looking at a used truck, always try and find out if it had been previously used as a plow truck....if so there could be transmission strain and other hidden problems.

Diesel trucks get the turbo's checked to make sure the owner always allowed proper cool down, etc.

I'd say Chevy or Ford and basically decide on whatever you find based on price and condition.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2007
    I say go with chevy. My last GMC has 199000 miles on it before we sold it. Only problem it had the entire time was the master cylinder and ac clutch. Cant ask for much better reliability than that.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited January 2007
    What kind of price range are ya wanting to stay in?
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    Oh boy! Another Ford vs Mopar vs Chevy fight! :D
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • IanD
    IanD Posts: 59
    edited January 2007
    Go for the Ford. Our Dodges never went the same distance before falling apart as the Fords did. For the heck of it, check the resale values of both trucks. That should help you make up your mind.
    BTW, I drive a Nissan :D
    Yamaha RX-V1500
    Pioneer Elite DV-46AV
    Scientific Atalana 8300 PVR-HD
    Panasonic TH-42PX60U
    Polk RTi10
    Polk CSi5
    Polk F/Xi3
    Polk PSW 350
    Mike's IC's
    DIY speaker cables (Kimber 4VS Shotgunned)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2007
    Trucks are trucks dude. You know that. What it comes down to are two things.

1.) Does it have the features you want at a price you want to pay?

2.) What was it's previous life?

As mentioned already by BaggedLancer, if it was a plow truck or used exclusivly as a tow-mule, you'll want to know that because there will be driveline problems. You'll also want to look at what kind of company it worked for if it was a commercial vehicle. Construction companies are very hard on suspensions and drivelines. Contractors like plumbers, electricians and HVAC guys will do alot of work at construction sites and often have to use the same vehicles for hauling loads a tad heavier than they should.

If the truck was used for commuting then you want to know highway or city miles. If the truck was used for emergency response like first-responder or a cheif's truck for the fire department, that's important too. All this kind of info wil give you a good idea of how this vehicle spent it's life before it was sitting on this used car lot.

You'll want to check for things like water in the oil. Just stick your finger inside the filler cap and look in the PCV hose. White goo? There is a problem. It might just be condesation from sitting so long but it could be a leaky gasket. Check the exhaust. If it is still dripping large amounts of moisture at operating temps, you might have a problem related to that water in the oil. Smell the exhaust, don't huff it, just take a sniff of the odors. Does it smell rich? Might be a bad O2 sensor. Does it smell lean? You might have a fuel problem or it needs a tune-up. Is the smoke gray or excessivly sooty? Indicative of other problems. Take it for a ride. Does it make alot of noises? Are the bumps harsh? Does the truck wallow in a turn? If it does, that's evidence of worn rear springs which could be evidence of previous over-loading.

Check tires. Are they wearing evenly? An alighment is prrobably due but alot of trucks, especially 4x4's can show signs of bad bearings up front from simple tire wear patterns. Look down the side, does the rear axle line up with the front axle? I've seen many vans and pickups riding down the road crooked from accident damage or a bent axle that couldn't be aligned properly.

Otherwise, the typical problems that plague most trucks are apparent. The Fords are good because if the mod motors are taken care of, they will last for at least 250K miles. You need to make sure that any TSB's and recalls related to the cooling system was taken care of though. I've heard of trans problems too. Idle air control valves tend to kick the buccket frequently too. For the most part though, the problems I have heard with the Fords has been related to wear items like brakes and belts and such. Most of the problems related to that have been of dubious distiction because it's hard to be sure that the repair work was done properly.

The Dodges have alot of the same issues. Nothing really drastic or unexpected. I've heard of some complaints with windshields and interior fabrics but nothing worth mentioning. Other than that stuff, keep in mind that trucks are heavy and hard on driveline and suspension components. They are also expected to do much more work than regular cars. Consequently, thier problems can be vastly different and sometimes more expensive to fix. If you go with a truck from any one of the big three, you are unlikey to have any really serious problems. Just make sure you look the truck over well and interrogate the salesman on the history of the vehicle. If there are documented service records, even better! If it's a private sale, be as through as you can. If you have a mechanic buddy with a shop, see if you can stop by with the vehicle in question and have him check it out for you. Mechanics have a trained eye and usually loads of experience. What might look like something serious to you might end up being nothing worth worrying about to them. But an expert opinion is always better than taking a gamble of something you are unsure of.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    IanD wrote:
    Go for the Ford. Our Dodges never went the same distance before falling apart as the Fords did. For the heck of it, check the resale values of both trucks. That should help you make up your mind.
    BTW, I drive a Nissan :D

I have heard this same exact story from many companies that have fleets. They bought the Dodges for the power/price/looks, but the reliability isn't there. Especially tranys. The gas millage sucks on Dodges, I don't care what the EPA stickers say. Myself and my friends all worked the Fords and beat the snot out of them. In the long run the Fords last the longest. A lot of the older fords start running a little funny, but they just don't die! My Chevy friends stopped picking on our Fords a long time ago.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    I have heard this same exact story from many companies that have fleets. They bought the Dodges for the power/price/looks, but the reliability isn't there. Especially tranys. The gas millage sucks on Dodges, I don't care what the EPA stickers say. Myself and my friends all worked the Fords and beat the snot out of them. In the long run the Fords last the longest. A lot of the older fords start running a little funny, but they just don't die! My Chevy friends stopped picking on our Fords a long time ago.

Ben

He's right about the gas mileage sucking on Dodge's. My 4.7L V8 in my '02 Durango gets 12.3 MPG on my 18 mile commute and I've never gotten better than 16.9 on the highway. I've never had any maintenance issues with it though, and I'm at 77k miles. I've been happy with it and the 4.7 L is a quick engine -- 235 HP & 295 torque. If I were you, I'd lean towards an F-150 though. I drove a '96 F-150 with the 4.9L I6 for years and it seemed unstoppable, plus I've always liked the looks of the F-150's the best.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    I love our F-350.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2007
    My dad has a Dodge and brother a Ford - I say if it's between them go for the Ford. The Dodge has been in and out of the shop for years - the Ford basic maintenance only and runs like new. Both were cared for in the same way.

However from my experience I wouldn't count out the Silverado or Sierra (GMC version). They are good trucks especially for the money. Just my experience though.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    I live on the edge of farm country and I know many of the farmers. their trucks get a hell of a work out every day. About 70-75% are Ford's, and most of these guys keep their trucks on average of 250K miles.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • PolkThug
    edited January 2007
    Thanks fellas. The collective knowledge of the forum rocks. F150 probably works out better for me anyway since my Mustang tuning shop can tune the F150 also.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    Looking at used trucks, 2wd, v8, extended cabs, 1997+. They will most likely have around 90k miles already on them.

I think I've got it narrowed down to the Dodge Ram 1500 or Ford F150.

Any experiences, opinions, what to look for?

Thanks

Okay we bought a Dodge Ram 1500 new in 1995 when they changed the body style. Its a 4x4 short box with the 360 and an automatic. We put 98,000 miles on it, hard miles. My wife pulled a horse trailer all over the country with it and pulled a tandem trailer hauling vehicles around the state. It had been run off the road a couple of times due to icy conditions, didn't wreck it but bounced it around pretty bad, been buried up to its frame in mud and pretty much had crap rodded out of it.

I then sold it to my sister and shes been driving it since and they just love it. The only major issue I had with it was the intake manifold gasket went bad but they had a recall on it anyway so wasn't too big of a deal. And as far as the mileage goes my sister is currently getting around 17 with it.

We also own a 2001 Dodge Diesel 4x4 with an automatic and am in the process of putting a Banks kit in it. We've had zero problems with that one. And I am running an 02 Dakota for my work truck. Have had zero problems with that one also.

So my recommendation is Dodge:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2007
    Ford.

Come down to GA and get one, good prices and no salt.:)

(might be some beer spilled on the seat)
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    Another Coke vs Pepsi thread, great.

I'll take a Dr. Pepper.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2007
    Oh, and I drink Diet Pepsi:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2007
    I vote Toyota.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    CXT-4.JPG

How about a nice international cxt?

Perfect size :)
  • PolkThug
    edited January 2007
    Toxis wrote:
    I vote Toyota.
    I'm test driving a Tundra tonight. Oddly enough, they appear to have more American parts than my new Mustang.
  • PolkThug
    edited January 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Another Coke vs Pepsi thread, great.

I'll take a Dr. Pepper.

I've got a case of Dr. P stashed in my cubicle. :)
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited January 2007
    f150online is a pretty good resource. if you end up with a ford it might be worth checking for the ford shop manuals (dvd) on e-bay. i got it for my 06 350 for something like $30 a couple of months ago.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/index.php

)
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2007
    Noel (ND13) is in the business...listen and learn...

If it`s between dodge and Ford F150...I personally would take the Ford
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited January 2007
    I have a '04 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab with the Hemi and couldn't be happier. 20MPG at 65MPH, 15 around town if I stay out of the throttle which is pretty hard as fun as it is to let the engine run out.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • PolkThug
    edited January 2007
    No F-150 for me, there are way too many people that have blown out sparkplugs, which Ford didn't issue a TSB on, but corrected the problem on the '04 heads. ('04+ is out of my price range)
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html

I'm test driving an '01 Tundra right now. ( it has the same American made content as my Mustang, 65%)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,567
    edited January 2007
    PThuggy...

Weren't you downing me a few months back about liking the Tundra???

Japan brotha - designed there, all built here. ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    No F-150 for me, there are way too many people that have blown out spark plugs, which Ford didn't issue a TSB on, but corrected the problem on the '04 heads. ('04+ is out of my price range)
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html

I'm test driving an '01 Tundra right now. ( it has the same American made content as my Mustang, 65%)

Its amazes me to see that many complaints when I have never heard of anything like that. What I would really like to know is were the plugs ever changed in those vehicles. Any aluminum head is very easy to strip with a spark plug. Cross thread it slightly or over tighten it like most people do, and that may be the cause. Like I said I've heard a lot about Dodge tranies, but I have never heard of plugs popping out. With this info I would have no second thoughts about buying another Ford . I have owned 9 of them, but I certainly would make sure the plugs are changed properly.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • PolkThug
    edited January 2007
    PThuggy...
    Weren't you downing me a few months back about liking the Tundra???
    Japan brotha - designed there, all built here. ;)

Yep, I said something like "a **** truck, wtf!" :)

So far, the only thing I don't like on the Tundra is the brakes seem kind of weak for how big the truck is.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2007
    My brother in law has a Tundra (fairly new though) and that thing has been a great truck. He's only using it really as a commuter truck though so I don't know what kind of work you're needing it to do.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • PolkThug
    edited January 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    My brother in law has a Tundra (fairly new though) and that thing has been a great truck. He's only using it really as a commuter truck though so I don't know what kind of work you're needing it to do.

It has to be able to pull my Mustang to redneck cities all over the US.

Yeah, my uncle is in the used trucks business and the Tundra is his favorite truck.
  • karpiel666
    karpiel666 Posts: 173
    edited January 2007
    +1 for the toyota. Anything bigger I would go with ford.
    dvd player: samsung DVD-HD850
    receiver: Denon avr5700
    center: polk cs400
    fronts: polk rt800i
    surrounds: Unknown Polk monitor? series.
    sub: svs pb12 isd/v
    tv: 46 inch samsung