The White Van........no longer white.......no longer a van

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
I was driving to the store earlier tonight and had to laugh as a Black GMC Envoy pulled up alongside me, window down as if to ask for directions......

Because it's cold as hell out and snowing, I couldn't get my drivers door down and finally got my rear drivers door down only to be asked if I wanted some speakers for my HT setup........

I obviously declined and was going to write it off until they turned into the parking lot of the grocery store I was going to, so I picked up the phone and called the cops. Unfortunately they left a few minutes before the cops arrived but I pointed the officer in that direction and before I knew it there were 2 more cops in the parking lot that also took off to find them.

I wish I would have been in my car cuz I would have followed them around.......fun times.......lol.
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited January 2007
    Was eating lunch in a pizza place when a guy walked in (actually hurried in like he had to take a **** or something), went up to the counter and asked the guys behind the counter if they wanted some hometheater systems really cheap. One guy goes out there with the van guy and starts looking in the van. During which I grabbed my cell and took a pic. Pic is still on my cell.

Anyway, the van was silver.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited January 2007
    Super Brett, faster than a speeding M300, leaps tall buildings in a.....wait a sec, he's taller than the buildings and rids the world of the plague know as White Van Speaker syndrome. Not to mention he's T_Unit616's hero. What a swell guy!!! :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    And you weren't in your car...why?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    Mike682 wrote:
    Was eating lunch in a pizza place when a guy walked in (actually hurried in like he had to take a **** or something)

hahaha

there's a quote for Sid's karma if I ever did see one. :)
  • brettw22
    edited January 2007
    I pulled in and was getting out of my car to go into the store and the guys hit me up again. I called the cops at that point and didn't get back inside becuase I had things to do.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2007
    what is illegal about selling speakers from a van? I guess I don't understand why the cops needed to be involved.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2007
    Toxis wrote:
    what is illegal about selling speakers from a van? I guess I don't understand why the cops needed to be involved.

99.9999% of the time, the speakers they are selling are stolen.
    No excuses!
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited January 2007
    No they are not usually stolen, and it's not illegal.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/4/9/224439/1810
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    Well... I bet they don't pay taxes! :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • brettw22
    edited January 2007
    I believe that there are states that have created laws against this, but I don't know for sure.

The main reason I had called was because they were literally crawling from car to car waving people down while driving down the streets in fresh snow causing people to suddenly brake and were overall being unsafe on the roads.

That, and I wanted to use some of my cell minutes..... :D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2007
    Most of them don't have proper business licenses or the way they are conducting business is in violation of that license. However, if the operator of the vehicle follows you after you said no once or continually bugs you to try and make a sale, it's harassment.

Also, about the tax thing, it's hard to tell. Most of them are working with legitimate distributors and the only reason they can sell them so cheap is because they really are that cheap.

I found a local distributor of TR (Theater Research) garbage with offices literally, across the street from the police station. The biggest problem they seem to have is thier salesmen (read: extortionists) go out of county or out of town/township where thier business license isn't valid. If the license isn't valid, they aren't paying taxes to the town that they are selling in so the cops come running to shut them down. Some towns around here have had serious problems with these folks in that they are a nuisance to business owners and in some cases cause safety problems like obstruction of traffic.

It's true that what they are doing, selling speakers from a van, is not necessarily illegal. It's no different than a hot dog vendor. But if they enter the property univited or they are causing a conflict of interest (i.e.: selling speakers in a Best Buy parking lot) then they are also tresspassing. They move around alot and behave shady to keep the illusion that they are giving you something special for a screaming deal. It's false advertisment which can be considered illegal but the licensing and tax collection issues are much bigger than any of the other stuff they might be guilty of. Bottom line, it's a scam and they are trying to sell you something under false pretenses. Most people would feel taken advantage of in that situation and that's all a rabid lawyer needs to have a field day with anyone involved.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2007
    Nice going Brett.

If there was nothing wrong with what they were doing, the cops wouldn't have gone chasing after them.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2007
    lol I guess they'd argue that they're a mobile garage sale... hell, that's the level of quality they're selling. hahaha
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote:
    No they are not usually stolen, and it's not illegal.
    Most of the time they are trying to sell them on private property (store, business parking lots etc.), which is were the cops come in.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    bottom line, they may not be doing anything illegal.. but their speakers if you can call em that, or POS! i've heard of the bait and switch with these people.

they open a box and show you their speakers.. then they go to the back of their van, and get you an unopened box and you pay them. once home. you get the box open only to find out it's nothing but some bricks.. that I would think is illegal.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: