Is it stupid to mount my amp to my sub?

ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 750watt @ 2 ohm amp, and 2 12" orion subs. For convenience I would like to mount my amp to the sub box for easy removal. With that kind of bass would this be stupid considering the amount of power, and bass going to the subs?
Thanks Ben
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2007
    Some say it does not matter, others say it does. A while back I read a thread where a technician said that he had seen alot of amps come in for repair due to this kind of installation. I personally would not do it.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2007
    I don't think you'll see any ill effects by doing it. However you certainly will make it easier for thieves to get your entire system by doing that.
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    I don't think you'll see any ill effects by doing it. However you certainly will make it easier for thieves to get your entire system by doing that.

Yeah I have 2 kids and take trips so removal is a nice option. I think I will just mount the amp permanently, and just remove the speaker. I forgot about a small kicker solo baric that I could use that take a cubic foot box for trips and still have adequate bass.
    Thanks Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited January 2007
    I would think that if mounting the amp on the box is bad, the powered tube subs would have constant issues?
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2007
    vibration is the root of all electical evil - er at least most of it.

solder joints will age, regardless what anyone tells you, and they'll crack (500 years from now if they're done properly)... vibration will hasten this decline... so they'll crack in 350 years instead.

so, if you want to sacrifice those 150 years, then go right ahead, but when i'm 376 years old and your amp dies, don't blame me!

in all seriousness... the effects are so minimal its not even worth mentioning. go ahead and mount it to the box, you'll be just fine, provided its not a flea market amplifier.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • 1996blackmax
    edited January 2007
    dolfan87 wrote:
    I would think that if mounting the amp on the box is bad, the powered tube subs would have constant issues?

Those subs usually are not being pushed by alot of watts though.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    1970 Mach 1
    One of my favorite cars!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dolfan87
    edited January 2007
    Those subs usually are not being pushed by alot of watts though.

I understand that, but vibration is vibration. While more power, and bigger subs would move things more, they also require a more stable box in order to produce.

If he was building his enclosure out of 1/2" plywood with no support, then his amp might be in danger...as would everything else in his trunk. But if he is doing things right, then the amount of movement the amplifier sees should be relative.

Of course I could be totally wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Gram

P.S. Ben, it's one of my favorites as well! :D
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2007
    ... actually, i have a 350 watt powered sub in my house (built be me, and quite well if i do say so myself). the same plate amps come in sizes up to 1,000 watts rms.

anywho... the guy's gonna be fine, don't stress him out.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2007
    Its not the best thing for it. Ive seen 2 amps get rattled apart because they were mounted on the box.

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • lpreston
    lpreston Posts: 35
    edited January 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    Its not the best thing for it. Ive seen 2 amps get rattled apart because they were mounted on the box.

-Cody

What brand were they?
    Panasonic CQ-TX5500 Japanese Tube
    PrecisionPower DCX-730 Processor
    McIntosh MMC446
    polkaudio SR6500 x2
    polkaudio SR104DVC x 2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2007
    Kicker SX and a M-class Memphis
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    edited January 2007
    dolfan87 wrote:
    I understand that, but vibration is vibration. While more power, and bigger subs would move things more, they also require a more stable box in order to produce.

If he was building his enclosure out of 1/2" plywood with no support, then his amp might be in danger...as would everything else in his trunk. But if he is doing things right, then the amount of movement the amplifier sees should be relative.

Of course I could be totally wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Gram

P.S. Ben, it's one of my favorites as well! :D

I re-installed my Arc Audio 12D2 today. It's getting over 400 watts RMS. The enclosure I have is solid, and so is the installation of the enclosure to the car. I turned it up, and I could feel the bass pretty good when I put my hand on the enclosure. I would not dare put my Arc-4150 on there, and we know these things have top notch build quality.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2007
    In the words of Tim McGraw... "Don't mention Memphis". I'm surprised a Kicker took a dive to apparent 'shock' -- Memphis, not so surprised.
  • dolfan87
    edited January 2007
    I re-installed my Arc Audio 12D2 today. It's getting over 400 watts RMS. The enclosure I have is solid, and so is the installation of the enclosure to the car. I turned it up, and I could feel the bass pretty good when I put my hand on the enclosure. I would not dare put my Arc-4150 on there, and we know these things have top notch build quality.

I don't blame you. I am not much for mounting amps on boxes either, but for other reasons.

My point I was trying to make was that the powered subs out there seem to be fine. Bass tubes, home subs, P.A. (The Mackie 18" 800 watt beast will rattle your brains when a drummer hits his kick) all have amps mounted inside the enclosure. If bass was going to destroy electronics, how and why do these things survive.

That's all I was trying to say.

Gram
  • Eiderlon
    Eiderlon Posts: 23
    edited January 2007
    Fine as long as the amp's cooling surfaces are unobstructed.
    Lexicon Toshiba Crown EAW