I love this feeling!

KevinLWhitaker
KevinLWhitaker Posts: 47
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Finally giving in to my families wishes I sold my truck and bought a used Honda Pilot. This of course meant I had to rip everything out and figure out what/how to install in the Pilot. In addition, with the start of the new year I started a new job and now have a 30 minute drive (one way) to work. On occasion, I go to another location which is a (gulp) one hour drive each way. Needless to say I was anxious to upgrade the stock Honda noise.

You know the feeling when the car is in the garage, all the doors open, hood up, a million interior pieces pulled out, tools everywhere, and you feel like you have been going at it forever? At one moment I paused and thought to myself "There is no way this will all work when I put it together". Or the feeling when you pop the hood and start looking for a way to route the amp power wire and you see you can't even get to the firewall because Honda has crammed so much into the engine compartment? Or when you pop the door panels off, look at the minuscule stock speakers and say "How in the hell will I ever get my SR6500s in there?".

Well after several days, much hemming and hawing, and a lot of perseverance, I do have my SR front stage, head unit, and amp installed. I got the SRs in without cutting metal and can even get all the clips to go back in on my door panels. I got the amp wire through the firewall at the stock location. I have got the CD changers under the passenger seat and amp under the drivers. And man does it sound good. I have got to say, that moment when you have everything hooked up but not installed and you apply power to the system and hear sound from everything is on the of the best in the world. Then when you get it all put back together, start the engine and do a test drive, with all the accessories going, and you have no noise, is pure pleasure. Now all I have to do is figure out my sub options and get that installed.

I did find a new torture technique. If there is anyone you want to make suffer have them run the speaker wires through the boot to the front doors of Honda Pilot. Make em do that for some time and they will be putty in your hands!
Post edited by KevinLWhitaker on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2007
    I know the feeling all to well when everything is all over the place in the garage and you see no real quick end :).

Sounds like things went without any big problems for you....always nice.

What size sub are you considering?
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2007
    It`s alot of work, but it`s a great feeling everytime you commute and the tunes take you where you want to be...!!

Congrats !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • KevinLWhitaker
    KevinLWhitaker Posts: 47
    edited January 2007
    Right now the leading candidate is the Polk 10inch MOMO. I can make that fit in the stock location with a little work and fabricating some baffles. I am debating that vs. buying a box and loading it with a bigger sub (SR?). I like the stock location due to having it hidden and not taking up any cargo room. The MOMO is about the deepest sub I can fit there, even with spacers. The problem with the stock location is that the sound will not be as good due to enclosure (or lack of tight enclosure) limitations. But at the moment I am open to anything. Your thoughts?
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2007
    Have you considered an 8" sub? A very good friend of mine has one in the trunk of his Eclipse and it puts out some convincing low end. I too like my usable space in a vehicle, reason I am using a small sealed box, just something to look into.

Here is the link to this sub:

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli_ignition_series_8_inch_and_10_inch_diy_subwoofer_drivers.html

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli_series/rli_8_inch_DIY_car_and_home_subwoofer_driver_information.html

RL-i8_Series_Page_image2.jpg
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin