Wire MMC650 to stock head unit

mickey_bigdaddy
mickey_bigdaddy Posts: 3
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I need to install the MMC650 speakers into my Honda CRV door panel. First, is there a wire kit that I can use to hook up to the stock door wiring from head unit to speakers?

Also, how do I wire the crossover unit into the stock head unit. I know that isn't best but don't have the money to replace everything.
Post edited by mickey_bigdaddy on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    You shouldnt need a kit. If its the type that has connectors on the speaker ends of the wires, you can cut those and stip the ends of the wires and connect those to the MMC650. Just remember to leave enough wire coming out of the stock connectors so that you can reattatch them later if you need to.

Run the wires coming from the HU into the crossover's input and then the tweeter wires to the tweeter and the mid wires to the mid. The terminal ends should only hook up to the right speaker so its kinda idiot proof.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited January 2007
    As Mac said, cut the ends of the pos/neg factory speaker wire inside each door and attach this to crossover (observing correct polarity).

If it were me, I'd get some bulk speaker wire and wire up the tweets and mids with that, from crossover to components.

If you are wiring up the momos to a factory head unit, you won't see optimum performance from them- they require a bit of power to really get the most out of them. Really consider adding an amplifier to them.
  • mickey_bigdaddy
    mickey_bigdaddy Posts: 3
    edited January 2007
    Thanks. I plan on changing the head unit and adding an amp in about 6 months. Any recommendations on both? :D
  • Polkemon
    Polkemon Posts: 144
    edited January 2007
    I would consider going with an Apine head unit because they have first class SQ and the internal amps are really stout!

Crutchfield has the DVA-9860 for $299 and that is a $500 head unit plus it has the DVD drive so you could add montiors later if you wanted. I have the DVA-9860 and love it. I am a fan of the front loading CD anyway.
    NEWEST RIDE:
    2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
    Supercharger Pully Upgrade
    Air Intake
    Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
    Front Doors POLK sr6500
    Amp front JL 450/4
    Amp Sub JL 500/1
    Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
    2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
    All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, Im a big Alpine fan myself. Eclipse would be my 2nd choice.

Panasonic has some really nice HU's these days at some really good prices so they may be worth a look.

As for amps, just look for something in the 75 watt per channel range and get the best amp you can afford.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D