Shipping vinyl

strider
strider Posts: 2,568
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
Any recommendations on how to safely ship records? I'm going to be sending out between 10 and 20 records in the near future and would like them to have a fighting chance to make it in one piece. Last thing I received via Fed Ex (my 2B's) got some "antiquing" on the way from Texas to B-more. :(

Thanks,

Ben
Wristwatch--->Crisco
Post edited by strider on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Shipping speakers is a different animal; they are heavy and difficult to carry, and prone to be dropped; If a speaker is dropped, chances of damaging is high, more so if it is not in its original packaging/box.

Not saying that records cannot be damaged, but if they are well packed, they should survive a drop. Just use a good enough box with enough padding inside to keep the records tight and away from box top/sides. You should be ok.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Just pick up some 12" x 12" LP shipping boxes. I've sent and received several shipments with no issues. Once you get 10+ sealed in a LP shipping box you will not have any problems.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2007
    Boxes specifically designed to ship vinyl is the way to go Strider. Let me see if I can't find, FOUND IT!

www.bagsunlimited.com

These are good people and I have used them extensively.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2007
    10-20 to one place or 10-20 to 10-20 places?

The mailers are great for singles& multiples up to about 4 (depending on vinyl grade & gatefold, etc).

For shipping several together, you've got two issues- them rubbing against each other & the corners getting bent. Put tissue paper between each LP to prevent rubbing. For the corners getting bent I've had success with to approaches: a very tight fitting box (with all the sleeves pushed right up against each other, they're pretty rock solid) or position them with packaging so that none of the corners are touching the outside of the box.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • strider
    edited January 2007
    Thank you very much for the info, folks. Sounds like they'll be fine when they get to their new home. Mr. Grand- great link. I have some of their 20 LP boxes en route now.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2007
    I shipped all the LP's I sold via the Flea Market using the following:

Foamcore board bought from Walmart cut in squares slightly larger than the LP, two pieces with the LP's sandwiched between them.

I used bubble wrap to wrap each LP separately before putting them between the foamcore board pieces.

I then used brown mailing/kraft paper to wrap each package, putting the address/mailing information on using a Sharpie.

Worked like a charm!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2007
    When you take them to the post office tell them you want to send "media mail". It is very cheap and meant for exactly what you are shipping.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • shack
    edited January 2007
    madmax wrote:
    When you take them to the post office tell them you want to send "media mail". It is very cheap and meant for exactly what you are shipping.
    madmax
    It is also EXTREMELY slow. I've had media mail take 3-4 weeks to be delivered.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • madmax
    edited January 2007
    shack wrote:
    It is also EXTREMELY slow. I've had media mail take 3-4 weeks to be delivered.

I guess it could but mine normally arive in about a week or less.

madmax

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2007
    You're more than welcome Ben. My mommy and daddy wanted you to call me George.
  • strider
    edited January 2007
    I stand corrected; thanks for the link George. Thanks also to everyone else who has offered advice.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2007
    madmax wrote:
    I guess it could but mine normally arive in about a week or less.

madmax
    yeah, most mine have been in a week or less. When I got quotes, i think it was $65-$75 to ship 200 albums via any other method vs $15 via media mail. Difference isn't so big on a lower number, though.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • shack
    edited January 2007
    I never use media mail unless it is something heavy and it really doesn't need to get to me or it's destination in a reasonable time. Yes it is cheap but on average it is MINIMIUM of two weeks on anything I've sent and longer on stuff I've ordered. It actually took over a month for a textbook we ordered to arrive via media mail (verified the postmark). If I send a single CD or something similar, I can send it for $1.30 first class or $.95 medial mail. A no brainer for me to go 1st class mail.

• madmax
    edited January 2007
    Things must be slower in Tennessee...
    madmax

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2007
    Well, they are the Volunteers, so I figure their busy........

GG sent me media mail from NJ and it took four days, Yourmusic sent me media mail and it took two weeks but just twice out of about 20 orders. Media Mail can take longer.

RT1