President Bush: We're Sending 20,000 more troops to Iraq.

Comments

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited January 2007
    it's 4:43 am here. Thanks Tony. Nothing like some bad coffee and Roger Ailes talking points for that early morning rush. :rolleyes: :p :cool:
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited January 2007
    You know I thought 20K was too little. But if the forces that are there now have their hands tied, we need to unshackle their bonds and do it again. Although this is a war I have ALWAYS been against, (because I think we took our eyes off terror and started looking at oil) I cannot stomach a defeat in Iraq. If they think they can do it with 20K so be it. My nephew is on his way to Afghanistan in 2wks. I would hope he has enough troops to watch his back who have the orders to defend themselves to the fullest. The only thing that worries me most about this is that this order comes as the window for his two brothers to see combat. So, all three boys could be in the Middle East at the same time.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2007
    The oil argument is for the ignorant, please people, stop using it. At least the "grudge" angle has some meat to it.

Regardless of whether or not you thought the invasion was justified or not, it happened. Now we need to win this thing, start learning Arabic, or become completely isolated from the world stage.

It is interesting that the people who have gone to the middle east and actually talk to people there are all on one side in this thread. Says something about the other viewpoint, no?

AH: Coffee? What, you ran out of Kool-Aid already? ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    XMSI:
    Sadly, the NATO commander in Afghanistan has been begging for 20K more troops for almost a year now. All we have done is blow him off. The Taliban have regrouped and are making our efforst to spread normalcy beyond Kabul quite difficult. Their raids and murdering of teachers keep us from fullfilling our promises to build infrastructure. So now the citizens look at us as liars and the Taliban as a necessaary evil to some.

We all just need to face facts, by going into Iraq we did far more bad than good. We left Afghanistan in a lurch, we created a regional power in Iran, and turned much of the world politically against us. It's a sad fact that some parts of the world can't deal with democracy without dictatorial controls, and the Arab world tops that list.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    Rudy just laid it down in spades:

The Battle of the Bulge was a dismal intelligence failure -- meaning that Roosevelt JUNIOR was a "moron." :rolleyes:

So we should have given up and let Hitler take the world....

Over 3,000 died on June 6th, 1944, in Normandy.

Over 2,000 Marines and soldiers lay dead after the first 24 hours of Iwo Jima.

I guess the President should have withdrawn, and sued for peace on the spot, then fired all of the commanders, and replaced them with ambassodors to the Republic of Japan, and its new Southeast Asian empire!

I know using a little perspective might be rough, but give it a shot sometime.

Fighting a war with politics is the only way we'll fail, and why things haven't gone as swimmingly as they should have in the post major-ops governmental reconfigurement phase.

The only thing that's advantageous in having more troops is if the political hand ties are taken off of the troops. You can go ahead and ask yourself who is doing the hand tying. Bush bares part of the blame for it by not ignoring the politics of the opposition in our own country.

Why he ever gave a crap about liberals being critical of him I never understood.

I have to echo what jdhdiggs said. I haven't been there, but the majority of those who have been seem to have a much different perspective than what is given by the MSM and the armchair commandos.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited January 2007
    fireshoes wrote:
    This is a politics-free zone. Move along. :)

:)

All I have to say is we need to leave soon victorious because we will soon have bigger problems on our hands.

"end of thread"
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • markmarc
    edited January 2007
    LOL, politics free zone. With such fine polkers such as Macleod, Demiurge, Aaharvel, JDHiggs, myself, etc., etc, it ain't gonna happen.

Plus, it is our duty as citizens to question our leaders, and dissent when we disagree with their actions.
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2007
    I understand the need for more troops in order to stop some of the sectarian violence going on there now. What I don't understand (or believe in) is that *anything* we do will prevent more violence once we leave. :(
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited January 2007
    With the exception of maybe John F Kennedy I can't remember anyone being happy with our leaders, but that's as far as my memory goes back. It was at one time you had respect for the President regardless of his political affiliation. Kids today don't respect anyone and I see this to be problems for future generations
    It seems that every one had rather **** about their leader on their job site or their country.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2007
    read-alot wrote:
    It was at one time you had respect for the President regardless of his political affiliation.

The sad thing is some people probably don't believe you. But our society is really sad when the highest paid federal employee is a football coach and not the president. And Kennedy had revisionist history applied to him. Had he not been assisinated, he'd be viewed as a 60's version of Clinton.

Look at the people in this thread that have already said that the president is stupid. I mean, do people really think a moron could become the most powerful person in the world?

I would guess that he is actually smarter than at least 90% of this forum. How many here could even get into Yale, let alone graduate? How about Harvards MBA program? So he didn't have the best grades, but I'll let you know something, the people who go to those schools and get 4.0's are the people you never want running or managing ANYTHING.

He's not the best public speaker in the world (Yes, that's a gross understatement) but he's not stupid. Additionally, how would any of us fair having the MSM investigating every piece of your life and recording your everymove. How about having over half the population looking for any excuse to rip apart your ideas.

The other kick I get out of the Lib hatred of "W" is the constant criticism with no aleternative. In otherwords, it's not a conflict of ideas, but blind hatred and disrespect that's being shown.

I think the disrespect for the office of President started in '94 and continued to decline through Lewinsky, 2000 election, War in Afganistan, War in Iraq, 2004 election, and now the 2006 election. Each of those events provided a catalyst to disrespect the position.

In the end, Let's ALL hope the President is right this time and a moderate (gov) / liberal (rel) democratic convernment emerges in Iraq that can provide stability and leadership in the region. And hopefully our boys will start coming home this year.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited January 2007
    Nice post James.

I agree, don't underestimate "W". He's far from a moron.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited January 2007
    jd now you know Willie wouldn't have had the balls to do what JFK did in the Bay of Pigs.

Anyway Ms. Monroe was a far better looking than Monica.:)
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited January 2007
    Hmmm....wishfull thinking JD.I hope your right.I would gather to say the elephant in the room is their radical religion.When there is no acceptance of other cultures or religions besides theirs,will always be war.Kind of like weeds in your lawn.You have to get rid of all of them or they keep comeing back to play havoc on the good grass.Hard to do in a region filled with hatred for all others.There is no negotiating with this kind of mentality.Sad to say,I know someone,maybe Isreal,will wind up nuking them and draw us in even deaper.Thus starting another world war.Sometimes we in America,in our cushy lives,can't fathom why we are in foreign countrys with no apparent reason.Radical Islam is spreading like weeds my friends.Imagine if the rest of the world was headed up by these radicals...and then there was us.Add on our immigration problem and you can easily see that our freedoms will finally have come to an end.Nowhere else to run to folks.Can't hop on a spaceship and zip off to another planet.Fearmongering? I think not.It's happening under your nose and you don't see it.So like we did in the begining,we shall stand and fight,protect our borders,secure our way of life.Thats what I expect out of my president and congress.{wishfull thinking on my part}
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    I agree, James. Another thing to point out -- I never hated Bill Clinton, or any other President, although I severely disliked Carter for the things he did, but personally? Don't know the guy. I was with President Bush at a campaign rally here in Milwaukee when Mr. Clinton had his heart attack. As the President relayed the news during his speech everyone there was genuinely saddened for what befell him. What did the MSM report? That there were cheers. That was later forced to be retracted by the AP when video of the event surfaced on the Internet. That was the first time I had ever been involved personally in a news story that was completely fabricated.

The same crap is going on with the reporting from Iraq. My best bud is a SEAL, and I have never heard him disrespect his missions in private, or claim there is anything but determination to win. Do these guys want to go home? Of course, who wants to be there? They also want to complete the objective, something they can't do when their hands are tied by Washington's red tape.

Anyhow, some of the crap in this thread is blind hatred, and it doesn't matter one bit what he does or doesn't do to them. He's already been pegged an idiot by them, and they offer no solutions.

I have plenty of hangups with his domestic policy issues, but my reaction isn't to call him dumb. My reaction is to offer my opinion on what should be done. It would be nice if the people who want to pull the troops out could tell us what the end game solution for the Middle East is going to be. This was never about Iraq. It's a war against an ideology that transcends borders. Something that was explained could take generations before we ever left U.S. soil.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    ledhed wrote:
    There will always be civil unrest in the middle east.
    It wasn't that long ago when almost all would have said the same thing about northern Ireland ...
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    read-alot wrote:
    jd now you know Willie wouldn't have had the balls to do what JFK did in the Bay of Pigs.

Anyway Ms. Monroe was a far better looking than Monica.:)

Not to mention JFK makes GWB look like an extreme left winger. That's how much the idelogical shift has gone to the left.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited January 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    The oil argument is for the ignorant, please people, stop using it.

Iraq has the 3d largest oil reserve in the world.

Color me ignorant. In spades.
    Sal Palooza
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2007
    Iraq has the 3d largest oil reserve in the world.

Color me ignorant. In spades.

Obviously... Why are we there in your eyes? Cheap oil? To raise the price of oil so big oil gets rich? To secure the supply? Which flavor of Kool-Aid are you drinking?
  • markmarc
    edited January 2007
    GWB will never be considered the smartest, nor the stupidest President to occupy the White House. For his all his inability to speak fluently, he does have a down home way of getting his point across. One may disagree with it, but rarely does he hide it behind vague, political language.

Be as that may, an Ivy league education and an MBA does not make you smarter than 90% of the population, just more educated.

Like everyone, GWB has his faults, and like all modern President's, he has become somewhat insulated from outside views. Even worse, is the legacy of getting into the "yes men" mentality of those that work for him.

In GWB's case, his greatest strength (loyalty) has become his biggest liability. He cannot breakaway from his policies because of how it affects others. IMHO, a strong sub-concious reason for his invasion of Iraq was to end the one bad legacy of his father (not finishing off Saddam in the Gulf War). I use his personal attitude towards Clinton. Anytime together they are buddy-buddy. Why, because after the CIA discovered Saddam was going to assasinate GHWB on a visit to Kuwait, Clinton lobbed 60+ cruise missiles into Iraq. That created a lifetime of respect from GWB.

Iraq will be his legacy, is it no wonder he will do whatever it takes to come out on top?!
    2 Ch. System
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2007
    Mark, the 90% comment is more directed at the man's entire body of work. He wouldn't get were he is today if he wasn't that smart.

Take the moonbat's left view of the guy: Raging alcoholic with cocaine problems and still managed to be smart enough to get through the Ivy league schools, invited to skull and bones, artfully dodge the Vietnam war, become Governer, and become president. Shoot, if he could do all that while boozing and recreational cocaine use, he's probably in the top 1% of intelligence. As it is, his SAT scores only put him in the top 10% :)
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Mark, the 90% comment is more directed at the man's entire body of work. He wouldn't get were he is today if he wasn't that smart.

Take the moonbat's left view of the guy: Raging alcoholic with cocaine problems and still managed to be smart enough to get through the Ivy league schools, invited to skull and bones, artfully dodge the Vietnam war, become Governer, and become president. Shoot, if he could do all that while boozing and recreational cocaine use, he's probably in the top 1% of intelligence. As it is, his SAT scores only put him in the top 10% :)

They were all bought and paid for, though. Smart people clouding the minds of the common folk with cunning and putting a dumb guy in charge. :p
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2007
    Ah, I get it, now I also get the Iraq war for oil argument! I just forgot to take my LSD :p
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited January 2007
    The general public, educated or not, for the most part, will believe just about anything that the networks/media feed them.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2007
    it makes me throw up a little (in my mouth) when people think anyone other than W (and his team) is responsible for what's going on....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2007
    Brett, can you expound on that? Are you talking about just Iraq, or do you think that Islamic Extremists and 9/11 were caused by "W" as well?

I can understand the "just Iraq" viewpoint.
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    it makes me throw up a little (in my mouth) when people think anyone other than W (and his team) is responsible for what's going on....

What's going on?
  • brettw22
    edited January 2007
    If "just Iraq" was a contained situation then you could limit it to one localized screwup.........

I don't think that W is responsible for 9.11, but everything after has been grossly mishandled.....

As for him being a moron.......I'm not giving him props for enough people voting for him (I think a lot of people voted for the the perceived 'lesser than two evils' thing back then too).......I'm personally embarrassed that we have someone in office that has done as much damage to our standing in the world as he has in the time he's been there. And that's much more than just "do people like us"........it's "can we beg for enough people to help us when we REALLY need it".....
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2007
    Ok, next follow up, what should have been done?
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    .......I'm personally embarrassed that we have someone in office that has done as much damage to our standing in the world as he has in the time he's been there.

Who are we in "bad" standings with? Or maybe I miss understood what your saying.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • brettw22
    edited January 2007
    This is one of those round table discussions........you know where I stand, I know where you stand.......

I'm off for the day......y'all have fun.