PA System Popped

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
OK, so I'm the dedicated AV guy at my church. We have a low-fi PA system - a Yamaha mixer and a pair of Peavey speakers with 12" woofers. Last week I hooked the system to a laptop computer as I usually do via the headphone jack, and as soon as I turned it on, there was a loud POP! One of the speakers was blown, I think. We have been using a laptop for a while for background music and I didn't change any of the settings on the mixer.

A couple of questions --

1) Is the culprit likely to be the laptop, the mixer, the speakers, or the knucklehead operator?

2) What the hell happened?

3) How do I determine the extent of damage to the speaker? I'll be glad to open her up if necessary, but what am I looking for?

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited January 2007
    Well, if your church is anything like mine was (and every other place I've done audio for) EVERYBODY under the age of like 21 want to play with the sliders on the mixer and do so while it is off. If something was being overdriven, it is likely the speakers could blow. Also, is it a powered mixer, powered mains or is there an amp in there somewhere?

I'm sure Sid might be able to shed more light seeing as he works at a place that sells this stuff.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,567
    edited January 2007
    A thump is pretty normal with PA systems as Ive found...

However to turn on the system and have a LOUD POP and a speaker be blown - it almost sounds like there is a short to me or a cable thats gone out...

How do you know the speaker is blown?

The way PA systems work, if there is a short in one cable, you will lose all your volume and quality -

So investigate your cables... but I dont know of any reason plugging a laptop in and turning on the power would do that... nothing Ive encountered yet would answer that situation -

But I have found that about 60% of problems are cables, 35% equipment failure and the other 5% operator failure....particularly if its Behringer ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2007
    ledhed wrote:
    Also, is it a powered mixer, powered mains or is there an amp in there somewhere?

It's a powered mixer.

I'll check the cables.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited January 2007
    I agree to start with cabling.

Peavey is/was one of the few that had replacement parts for their drivers. I just replaced the diaphragms on a pair of Peavey horns last week that were purchased in 1983. Their older stuff was built to last..... of course this was prior to the oversees outsourceing.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    I vote knucklehead operator...just because I know if something like that happened to me it would be my fault (at least according to my wife everything is my fault :rolleyes:)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited January 2007
    I vote knucklehead operator...

Betcha his name was Turbo!:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds