a funny thing happened today.

goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
well lets make this short and sweet.
i quit my part time job today after getting a better full time job late last year.

i call up to day to quit i speak to my imeadate superviser and say i reg to inform you i can no longet work for the city of canton. so about 2 hours later i get a call fro my boss saying to infor me that they terminated me. i do not understand how i can be fired after i quit.

now i dont want on my reccord that i was fired when i quit but i dont know if i can do anything about. i am thinking of going to her boss and telling them that i quit then she fired me she is a little looser of a boss that has herasses me sence she got the job and this re afirmes why i quit.

any ideas will be nice. just want to get her back and clear my work historey
Post edited by goingganzo on

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2007
    I would call her supervisor and talk to him about the situation, but it is basically your word against hers. Unless you submitted something in writing, you could just be screwed. :(
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2007
    Piece of cake. If and when you go job hunting again, make no mention of that part-time job. Even if it's on your record that you quit, what are you going to tell the new prospective employer as your reason for leaving? I had a dispute with management?
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, that is true. It is really a no win situation.
  • goingganzo
    edited January 2007
    but the problem with leaveing it out is it wil put a hole in my job time line of like 5 years. i will try calling her superviser and i will get the guy i spoke to on the phone to vouch for me.

actuley i did not have a problem till we got a looser boss and went form being the best of the best to best of the worst.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    These days very few employers will give out any more information about previous employees other then the from/to dates that you worked, job title and maybe beginning and ending salary.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2007
    Did you give them anything in writing? Did you speak with someone face to face,or was it all done over the phone? I recently had an employee leave me a two week notice,by placing it under my door while I was on vacation :confused: call me old school, but it's better to give a two week notice,or at least speak with the appropriate manager before you just quit. Just my .02 worth. Good luck.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2007
    The proper way to leave was to give 2 weeks notice in writing, not just quit over the phone.

They are basically treating you the way you treated them. If you had done it properly, you may have had a leg to stand on. As it is, you don't.

Good luck in your new job, I hope you handle it better than your last if a similar situation arises.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited January 2007
    Sadly, this has become the norm.
    Most modern employers don't give a reference, so why give a crap?
    If you do give notice, nothing is done by the employer to prep.
    My boss just left. They aren't allowed to post for the job until after
    that person leaves. It will be 10 more days before HR even has him listed
    as gone.
    How can there be much continuity when job slots are open for a month at a time.
    And, of course, no one has time to cover the person's open slot.

In short, just list the dates you worked there. For part time work, I don't think any future
    employers will ask why you left to work full time.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2007
    Sucks2beme has it right and even if they do a background check and find out you were fired, tell them to look at the dates. You were fired after you took the full time position and quit the old job.

Besides, 2 weeks is a courtesy, nothing more. Definately not grounds for termination. Most employers now are an "at will" employment which means they can fire you or you can quit with no notice. If your old job wasn't one of those, you did screw up. Oh, and you could pick up a few welfare checks with the "fired" tag too, if you want to milk the system a little.

In the end, little will come of this.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    ... Oh, and you could pick up a few welfare checks with the "fired" tag too, if you want to milk the system a little ...
    Just keep in mind that the "system" you refer to is supported by the rest of us ...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2007
    Just keep in mind that the "system" you refer to is supported by the rest of us ...

Keep in mind that if he was gainfully employed and paying taxes then he also supported the system. If he is fired and out of work, he is entitled to collect on that investment he made to the "system" through taxes. Just like you would be too.

However, if he already has a new job and he is paying taxes, that means he is contributing to unemployment. He'll be cut off very quickly. If he manages to get around it somehow then it is tax evasion and not only will he get in trouble but so will his new company. Then he'll be out of work again and unlikely to be able to collect unemployment due to his abuse of the system.

Bottom line, just because he is collecting unemployment doesn't mean it is adversly affecting you in any way. Your unemployment payments will not change because they are not determined by how much some one else is taking out but rather how much you are making and how much you can put in.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    I've drilled it into my son and my students, always, always give 2 weeks notice in writing. You never know what may lie in the future. I know a close friend quit a job by phone with no notice. Several years later he interviewed for his dream job. Guess what, one of the interviewers was his former supervisor. Of course, he didn't get the job.

Never burn bridges
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited January 2007
    I always felt the same. Yet every time, they act surprized when the day arrives and you leave. A co-worker has given three months notice.
    It will take months for someone else to ramp up to take his place.
    So far, the ostridge approach reigns surpreme.
    Either way, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited January 2007
    I have found this to be in issue in the Army as well, which is kinda sad because you have a HARD DATE that your contract expires. YOUR WHOLE COMMAND KNOWS ABOUT IT. They all assume you would never get out, just sign the dotted line again. They act surprised that you are actually leaving. Kinda scary. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong about staying in, it's just not for me. My whole enlistment has been empty promises and desert hellhole, so I am going to go back to school and unwind a little. It was a great experience, but I am glad it is almost over.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2007
    I agree w/cfrizz and especially markmarc,being the manager of a store myself I would appreciate a 2 week notice from any associate. It's the proper way. You may have put your ex-supervisor in a scheduling nightmare. You always treat people right, you never know,sometime in the future you may come back into contact with them and need their help. Also, no employer w/half a brain will give out more info than work dates.
  • goingganzo
    edited January 2007
    actuley i was olny sub olny there i had no hours so i just called up and quit my boss has ben on my case for some time now and they are trying to give me the shaft by requireing a minum hours also droping you on pay scale of you dont work that much and they will scuguel you aginst my avability and tell mt to get proof y i cant work thoes hours.

this is just a form of her herasment she tryed to get me fired twice but she needed alot more that what she had to do it. she talks bad about fellow employies that she shouldnot be said and i was in the room and so i told them what she said sence they are frends they went to her boss then she came back at me trying to get me fired.

i think i am going to call osha on her or the health and department dont know who to call 62% of the lights are burnt out and the noise leel is above osha standards but i never clled sence i am the olny one who understands sound and i brought this to my boss to try and get her to fix it
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2007
    If you were "only a sub" then why are you making such a big deal of this? Get over it and move on. If she is so bad to work for then count your blessings and move on. Life's too short.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited January 2007
    Yes, move on and concentrate on your future positon, not on you past job.
    Sal Palooza