Alpine CDA-9835 question...

Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I currently have the CDA-9835 hooked up in my Tacoma along with the XM satellite radio. The question I have is for X-mas I received an 80 gig i-Pod that I'd also like to hook up in my truck. I received the Alpine KCA-420i i-Pod controller today and I was wondering if I was going to run into having a problem hooking them both up. It's been quit sometime since I seen the back of the head unit so I can't remember if the XM radio controller and the Ai-net controller are one in the same or if there are seperate connections. I won't have a chance to get it installed until sometime this weekend so I just want to make sure I have everything I need before pulling the dash apart. Thanks in advance.
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited January 2007
    I believe the Ai-Net connection for one (or both) adaptors includes a pass-through so multiple Ai-Net accessories can be connected, such as Sat Radio, CD Changer, iPod etc.

There shouldn't be a problem, other than maybe the iPod only having a limited number of playlists displayed, and slow iPod connection speed compared to the '06 Alpine models. The CDA 9857 (for example) takes direct iPod connection, and to the best of my knowledge will show as many playlists as you care to add.

That said, I think the 9835 is superior in every other way to anything from Alpine's '06 lineup. I wouldn't trade any iPod convenience and speed over the advanced adjustability features offered in the '03 to '05 models.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2007
    Well said Greg.

I had that unit, it is a very nice HU.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Grimster74
    edited January 2007
    So, if I'm reading this correctly, on the back of this head unit there should be a place to hook up my XM radio gear which is already connected and then there should be another connector which will allow me to hook up the i-Pod controller, is this correct?
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited January 2007
    There is no pass through on the iPod or XM boxes so you need to find out for sure if you need a switch or not. I think that only one of the two uses AI-Net, the other doesn't but I can't remember for sure. I was going to do the same thing until I gave up on XM.

Howie
  • Grimster74
    edited January 2007
    Well, I found my manual for the 9835 and it seems that both the XM radio and the i-Pod use the Ai-Net output of the 9835. Does alpine make some sort of Y-adapter or am I going to have to make a decision of which one to use?
  • pentavolvo
    pentavolvo Posts: 68
    edited January 2007
    id assume they make an adapter but its prly rediculously expensive... u sure neither have a pass through thats a joke IMO
  • Grimster74
    edited January 2007
    After researching into it a little further, the XM Direct Box has a pass threw built inn.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited January 2007
    Grimster74 wrote:
    After researching into it a little further, the XM Direct Box has a pass threw built inn.

Fhew...I'd hate to be accused of fibbing on the web ;) . I was looking at hooking up Sirius to my 9855, and noticed the Sir-Alp1 had a pass-through. I assumed XM would too.
  • Grimster74
    edited January 2007
    Well, I got it hooked up this morning before work and everything seems to work just fine. Now all I have to do is figure out how to navigate threw the i-Pod threw the Alpine.