hard drive imaging software

POLKOHOLIC
POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
im looking for a program that would allow me to copy all of my files, windows, settings, programs, drivers, etc (every little piece of data) to a new higher capacity hard drive.

i want to be able to boot windows from it after the copying is done and be able to launch all of my programs.

kind of like an exact mirror image of the old hard drive.

any ideas?

i heard of norton ghost but im not sure if that would allow me to do what im trying to do.
Post edited by POLKOHOLIC on

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited January 2007
    Some drives come with cloning software. Maxtor, for example.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    its actually my laptop hard drive that came with the laptop. its a 30gig hard drive and im upgrading to an 80gig seagate drive which didnt come with any software..
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2007
    Hello

I have Norton Ghost on my computer and theres an option on there that says copy my hard drive. Heres what it says in the next window when I click on it:

This wizard lets you copy the contents of your drive directly to another location. This feature is useful when upgrading to a larger hard drive.

Unlike the Create Recovery Point wizard, Copy Drives does not create a recovery point file. Instead, it duplicates your drive directly to another drive.

This wizard cannot be used to copy to a network drive or removable media.

To continue, click Next.

See your on a laptop so you'll have to get an external usb enclosure to slip the hard drive in to do the copy which you probably already know:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited January 2007
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can copy windows to another drive. I believe it has to be re-installed using the Windows disc.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    sartori, does that mean that it will copy EVERYTHING? and make it so that all i have to do is install the new hard drive and Ill be up and running?
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    mike, im sure theres a way.
  • Systems
    edited January 2007
    Give me a sec and I'll look through the help a little more.....I've never used that option I just use it for backup in case my hard drive crashes. So I assume it would work since you can restore you whole hard drive from the backup image file that it makes....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    i actually just checked the norton website and looked at the features of ghost 10.0 and from what I understand, it makes an exact copy of the hard drive and it should be bootable. i just want someone to confirm this. someone who has actually done something like this before.
  • Mike682
    edited January 2007
    I'm trying to get in touch with my friend who is a network systems tech. He does this stuff all the time. Problem is he just had a baby and it's 10:30 p.m here on the east. Otherwise, I would have just called. Trying to get him quietly on windows messenger...he is signed in but listed as "busy"
  • Systems
    edited January 2007
    Yes from what I see in the help section thats what it will do, there is some options that you need to check when you go through the wizard. The main one is to make sure the copy MBR is checked otherwise it won't boot.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    ok thanks alot guys. mike let me know if you get in touch with him. how much does Norton Ghost 10.0 cost btw?
  • Mike682
    edited January 2007
    POLKOHOLIC wrote:
    ok thanks alot guys. mike let me know if you get in touch with him.

will do

he is signed in but listed as "busy"
  • Systems
    edited January 2007
    I don't remember offhand, I just downloaded it off their site though instead of purchasing the cd.

Also heres the manual for it if you want to look at the copy my hard drive section:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/10/manuals/Ghost_10_User_Guide.pdf
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2007
    Ghost will do exactly what you want. Just do a "disk to disk" image. One note- make sure you are selecting the correct drives for "destination" and "source"!!!

I use Ghost every day at work to clone machines.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    $70 for the download...
    and im only gonna use it once...
  • Systems
    edited January 2007
    Theres some on ebay for about half that.......
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    thanks alot nadams.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    PM me and I can email you the ghost files around 2pm

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2007
    Look up g4u, it's free. Then do hd resize, there are free tools for that as well.
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited January 2007
    Mike682 wrote:
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can copy windows to another drive. I believe it has to be re-installed using the Windows disc.

You don't have to reinstall, but if it's Windows XP SP2 you'll have to reactivate it with Microsoft.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    If you ghost the hard drives then there is no issue with microsoft. Ghost it, swap it, and run it. After the first reboot it will run the same as the original except that it has more free space than before.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited January 2007
    jmwest1970 wrote:
    You don't have to reinstall, but if it's Windows XP SP2 you'll have to reactivate it with Microsoft.

I work at the library at my college and I got one of the librarians to give me a copy of the schools XP Professional. You don't have to activate it and it has the same product key as all the other computers there.
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited January 2007
    POLKOHOLIC wrote:
    I work at the library at my college and I got one of the librarians to give me a copy of the schools XP Professional. You don't have to activate it and it has the same product key as all the other computers there.

Correct. Open License Product Keys don't require activation, but I wouldn't openly admit that a university is allowing piracy of software.