I made a Boo Boo on my turntable

joeparaski
joeparaski Posts: 1,865
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
I don't use my TT very often (mainly because it's not properly calibrated and set up), however, I decided to play a record the other day (Maggot Brain by Funkadelic)...*yeah yeah I know, but there's this crazy guitar solo I really like on it*:p ......anyway, when the song was over, I switched over to the cd player and totally forgot about the TT...with the darn needle still on the record!! A few hours later, my wife informed me that the TT was still turning....aaaggghhhh!!!:eek: :eek: So there was the tonearm, bumping against the cheapo plastic compression thingy in the center, and bouncing back an inch or so onto the record :eek: :eek:

I haven't used the TT since, too afraid of what I might hear.

Joe
Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
Post edited by joeparaski on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2007
    Well, if you had an AR turntable during the 60's, and liked to listen to it through Sennheisers right before bed, there was many a morning when you woke up to the sound of surface noise. Eight hours of extra stylus wear was the only ill effect. This is first hand info.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    joeparaski wrote:
    I don't use my TT very often (mainly because it's not properly calibrated and set up), however, I decided to play a record the other day (Maggot Brain by Funkadelic)...*yeah yeah I know, but there's this crazy guitar solo I really like on it*:p ......anyway, when the song was over, I switched over to the cd player and totally forgot about the TT...with the darn needle still on the record!! A few hours later, my wife informed me that the TT was still turning....aaaggghhhh!!!:eek: :eek: So there was the tonearm, bumping against the cheapo plastic compression thingy in the center, and bouncing back an inch or so onto the record :eek: :eek:

I haven't used the TT since, too afraid of what I might hear.

Joe

Take an expendable LP and see what happens with that, if it sounds okay great, after that calibrate that turntable man . . .you are missing some good listening. If you need help there are tons of tools and websites that can help you with it. Worse case senario, spring $20 to $30 for Michael Fremer's 21st Century Vinyl DVD. I love it and when I get my SME V audio lead I will have all my turntable setup paraphernalia ready with Mikey as the guide. I've done turntable setups hundreds of times but I'm 20 years out of practice. . . but I know I am still going to love it.