System up and running!!!!

Polkemon
Polkemon Posts: 144
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Please feel free to add your comments on this set up and ideas?

Lets start with the set up:
1998 Chevy Tahoe 4 Door 4wd (Work Truck)
Infinity Perfect 6.1's on the front doors with woofer in stock location and tweeter about 2-3" above.
Alpine DVA-9861 DVD Head Unit
(Hooked to Head Unit amp at this time but am able to turn on and off from head by shutting Alpine amp on and off do to higher volumes sending to much distoration to them) Polk DB6500 6.5 set on back doors with woofer in stock location and tweetabout 6" towards back of door going towards rear of truck.
POLK c400.4 Amp with rear channel bridged 4Ohms to sub.
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 4 Ohm in Q-Logic .65 Seald box firing towards rear.
Soon to add ALPINE PXA-701 Thoughts????

My Thoughts of set up at this time:
Head Unit AWESOME!!! Infinity 6.1's go VERY VERY VERY Lound and hold together well but after a moderate volume they get VERY VERY VERY Harsh but stay together well. Mid bass lacks big time but doors are stock with no matting just deflex pads behind mid-woofer. Sub hits very very clean but is only receiving 200 watts from the polk c400.4 as of now so I think I can get a bit more output and I am hoping for a little more snap when it gets its 450 watts.

I am debating on putting the db6500 in place of the perfects and not using the back door rear feel since the sub seems like it will blend nicely.
What is thoughts on using the Infinity Crossover inplace of the Polk DB Crossover when moved to the front doors or is this not an option???

I am also thinking of Focal K2p's since I did hear them side by side with the sr6500 and though they had a bit more detail but this could have been the bored because I am very happy with my sr6500 in the other ride. Can anyone give there thoughts on these as to mid-bass and SQ???

I am overall happy with the POLK AMP but IMO the JL 450/4 that is in my 06 Tahoe Personal driver has more detail and seems to have more impact in the Mid-bass region but I am comparing it with running Diamond Audio s600a's and now sr6500's on it.
I am debating on mono amps after hearing the c400.4 because I have a 12w6 run off of a 500/1 in the new tahoe and it has huge amounts of power with a crap load of flexabilty. What is the thoughts of the POLK 500.1 amp?
NEWEST RIDE:
2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
Supercharger Pully Upgrade
Air Intake
Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
Front Doors POLK sr6500
Amp front JL 450/4
Amp Sub JL 500/1
Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
Post edited by Polkemon on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    The JL amp does not have more detail than the Polk. These are characteristics of speakers and not amps. The more midbass power is because the JL 450/4 is a bigger amp than the 400.4. More power means more impact and low frequency response.

As for the Perfects, welcome to Infinity audio. Bright, thin and harsh. Not my type of speaker at all. If youre considering replacing them, I suggest getting some MM6500's instead of DB's. The Momos are better sounding speakers with a much better crossover.

The Focal's do have excellent midbass but Id still take my SR's over them anyday. I beat quite a few sets of Focal K2P's in SQ competition last season and I didnt have a fancy processor or EQ so you know it was the SR6500's doing all the work. Best speaker on the market.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Polkemon
    Polkemon Posts: 144
    edited January 2007
    I would have to agree that the sr6500 are an awesome set with they kind of soft sound that I like. I was just wanting something a little different and that is why I thought of the k2p's. What would you suggest that could come clost to the SR's?

If you say power is what gives you the better Mid-bass and detail then would'nt a Flea market amp that claims 50 x 4 or even more power sound better than say a Mcintosh 50x4 on the same speakers? Seem like you would have to get some sort of better detail from these $1500+ amps with the same power as $100 amp?
    NEWEST RIDE:
    2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
    Supercharger Pully Upgrade
    Air Intake
    Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
    Front Doors POLK sr6500
    Amp front JL 450/4
    Amp Sub JL 500/1
    Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
    2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
    All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    There are several reason why youd buy a $1000 Xtant over a $50 flea market amp.

1 is for power. That flea market 50x4 amp will probably not make its rated power at all and if it does, itll be at a substantially high distortion level. Where the Xtant would far exceed its rating cleanly.

2 is for build quality. The $50 flea market amp will probably last a month before it dies on you. The first time you short it out or touch 2 wires together, youre done. The Xtant will last longer than your car. Youll probably be giving it to one of your grandkids as an heirloom.

3 would be features. The Xtant has primo crossovers and EQ features. Very high quality level. The flea market may have some half **** bass boost or something but it wont be very flexible or good.

4 would be noise. The Xtant will be as quiet as a mouse. No turn on or off pops, no whine or hiss. The flea market amp will probably thump pop and crack like you wouldnt believe.

These are the reasons you buy an amp and you try to buy as expensive and as good a quality amp as you can afford. Sound stage, detail, midbass response and all that have nothing to do with it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited January 2007
    the only other speakers i liked as much as the sr6500's were the morel elate 6 set i had in my car before. tons of detail, great midbass and handles gobs of power! i wish i didnt sell them. i thought i was getting out of car audio and got rid of them. the elate tweeter is a marvel of engineering, just sweet. they are expensive though. the fs of the tweeter is 950hz and i crossed mine at 1.8khz. the tweeter power rating is 130w and the mid is 180w and thats not max. i ran them with a carver m-4120 with 120w x 4 trimming the gains for the tweets. talk about output and detail, wow! check the out.

http://www.morelhifi.com/products/mob_2way_elate.html
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited January 2007
    check out the new morel supremo 6 set also.
    http://www.morelhifi.com/products/mob_2way_supremo.html
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage