Reliving the good ole days

Options
SLOCOOKN
SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
edited January 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I finally sold my Adcom. I still have not got my pre back from B&K so I took the Adcom over to a friends house to make sure it still preformed. He has a nice set of B&W's. We listened with delight. He has a Dennon set up. So the external power was exciting. I then realized that I had let him borrow a pair of Maggies (Mg2's I belive) I have had for 13 years. I had not listened to them in a long time as I had no real power source. He realized that his reciever would not handle the ohm load so they sat in his garage for 2 more months. After realizing that they were there I said Lets hook em' up.

I should be put in jail for condeming these to 8 years of silence. They are not the greatest speaker of all time. However, With the right music the sound is awsome. I was over there for 4 hours with a smile on my face the whole time.

Just my experience,
Steve
:eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
Sony cx985v (for now)
BBE 482i
B&K AVP 1030
Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
Nordost RCA
SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
Belkin pf60
Carver TFM 55x
Signal Analog 2 RCA
AudioQuestType 4
VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
Post edited by SLOCOOKN on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Sounds like a nice time. Can I borrow those 3.1's for a few years? :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Sure! if you upgrade crossovers, new binding posts, replace all woofers and send 800.00 deposit....( JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!)..Would like to upgrade crossovers though!
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • Ricardo
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I'm right now waiting for the UPS truck with all the components for mine; will post some pictures/details once I'm done.

The drivers should last a lifetime....you having problems with yours??

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Yeah I saw that post that is why I said that. I am excited for you. I can't wait to see the process. As i would likely solder my way to china this is a task I would leave to the DIY's.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • Ricardo
    edited January 2007
    Options
    You say that because you have not tried...if you can use a screwdriver, you can rebuild a crossover :)

Here's the thread from my first one....these had a lot of additional components, plus it was tough to get the crossover back in because of its placement; for the 3.1's, the crossover is easily removed, and only has one resistor and 4 caps per crossover; piece of cake :)

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37333&highlight=crossovers

SOPA