Surround Sound - Input 7.1 users - Speakup!

Options
scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited January 2007 in Speakers
Why in the hell do people on this forum keep suggesting that 7 channel is useless?
Especially never having the setup themselves.............
I went from 5 to 6 to 7 about four years ago and never looked back. The rear channels never engaging is total ****. It works just like a 5 channel setup. Except now you have sound effects coming from the sides and behind you. Almost all 7 channel pres and recieves send a matrixed signal to the rear surround channels being used all the time. You basicly get 7 channel sound with ALL movies. Having DTS ES Discret 6 channel is a nice treat also.;)
Now you are enveloped in full "360" surround sound. For me 5 channel setups have something missing.
And its only going to get better with HD DVD units coming into the market.
5 channel HTiaB is great fo small rooms but for dedicated HomeTheaters 6 and 7 channel is a no brainer. Come on guys, this is not new technology. Lets stop giving false info., i know this was also brought up with 200w amps for beginner systems.
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Um no movies that I know of are 7 channel. 6 channel is including the sub, so it is really fronts center rears. If you have a long room sure enjoy. With proper speaker type, and placement 5 channel is excellent. There really aren't many DTS movies that are 5 channel out there. Most movies are Dolby digital which is 5.1 If you enjoy 7 channel thats wonderful. I had it, and went back to 5.
    Enjoy
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited January 2007
    Options
    scottvamp wrote:
    ...The rear channels never engaging is total ****...
    Actually, my older 6 channel receiver would only engage the rear speaker for 5.1 or 6.1 sources. My newer receiver with PLIIx, can run the rear speakers all the time.

I do agree, if you have 3 or more feet behind your seating, 7.1 speakers beats 5.1 speakers, giving more enveloping sound.
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Ben,

You are wrong about the 6 channels. Some movies are produced in 6.1 on dvd. The ".1" part is the sub. The 6 part are the FL, FR, Center, SL, SR, and Back speakers. If you read Scott's post a bit more closely, he is not claiming that there are a lot of movies in 6.1. He is stating that with today's processors your receiver or preamp can take a 5.1 source and split it up to utilize your 7.1 system to give you an all encompassing sound.

Scott,

Most people either do not have the room for it or use an excuse like "most movies are 5.1 so 7.1 is not needed" to justify not spending the extra cash on either the receiver or the speakers. Luckily I have neither of those problems or concerns and (like you) enjoy the encompassing sound of a large HT system. Heck if I could pull it off, I would switch to 10.1 if possible. For me, HT is all about feeling like you are in the action.

:)
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Ben, not a single thing in your statements made any sense what so ever.

Reaper, of course i am talking about 5.1 movies as a source. And everthing else like music and tv, i use all channel stereo, personally .

Holydoc, i agree the bigger the room the more surrounds. And we all know it won't work with the "my couch is against the rear wall, my tv is 6 feet away" scenario. So i duck taped my rear speakers on the ends of my couch. :rolleyes:
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hey there fellow Floridian. I was wondering what movies are in 6.1. I have been looking for good movies in DTS and only found that they are in limited supply never mind trying to find 6 or 7 channel DTS. I do fully understand what the processing does with the rears, but again for most people a good speaker with good imaging, and placement the encompassing sound is easily handled by 2 rears. Now if I had a home theater room where i lived that was nice and long where I could put the SB speakers behind me, and the SL and SR speakers slightly behind me I would do it for added depth. Again I would love to know of a few good movies in 6.1 or 7.1 so if you could point me in that direction that would be great.

Thanks
    Ben... enjoy
    "Ben, not a single thing in your statements made any sense what so ever."
    Scotty what didn't make sense?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Ben, thanks for not getting upset. I get that alot here. You have much to learn my friend. There is only one non hd format that has a discret 6.1 channel output. That would be DTS ES. Do some googleing to find movies encoded.
    DD EX would be a matrix rear channel effect. Just as most 6/7 recievers will do for most moves all the time.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Here's a short list and it tells you what moves are 6 channel discret.;)
    If you have questions Ben just ask.
    http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24862
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I did some goggling and came up with about 12 titles that are truly discreet 6.1 . The Sb's are slightly delayed SR and SL channels kinda like when you run 5 or 7 channel stereo. Not to complicated. I have SDA's for my front speakers, and I have an SA-CD player. Personally I thinks most of the multi channel stuff sucks A$$. Its way too processed and unnatural for me. When I first got my 6.1 then my 7.1 one it was pretty neat to show off the discrete channels, but after a while I always go back to 2 channel. Its kinda like people arguing over whats the best color. We all have our favorite color, so does that make anyone wrong?

2 channel and loving it

You enjoy your HT rig while I have mine set to 2 channel
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I counted 62 titles. (used the find feature) I wish block buster would have a list to locate titles like that. When ever I go there and ask for DTS they tell me to check out Pixar movies. Not much help. I will probably join netflix again, and use your link as a reference.
    Thanks again
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Ben, you should spend more time a the 2 channel forum, where i rarley visit.:D
    Discouraging anything more than two channels on home theater forums doesn't make much sense. I respect the 2 channel forum members.

2 channels for home theater is just dark ages. IMHO!!!!!!:cool:

I am currently helping a older friend set up a system and he is intrigued with mono music. So i have been looking into mono system arrangment. Like the rebirth of vintage Klipschorn. I can try on many shoes. http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/klipschorn.aspx
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Why the interest in DTS (ES) dvd's if your main interest is two channel?????
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hey, I am smiling over here. To me a thread posted "Surround Sound - Input 7.1 users - Speakup! " is going to draw 2 channel guys to your post. Don't get me wrong I love to watch Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1, Pirates of the Caribbean in DTS, and many other movies. I have not tried to discourage any one from Ht or 20 channel stereo for that matter. Which I used to really like till I stared worrying about quality of components, and speakers rather than quantity of speakers. Me personally I would rather slam my balls in a car door over and over than listen to multichannel again!

I hope you to are still smiling.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    scottvamp wrote:
    Why the interest in DTS (ES) dvd's if your main interest is two channel?????

You never check out 2 channel?

Minds are like womens legs. There are much better when they are open :-)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Of course, to each thier own. Its just a hobbie. I built and sold a high quality 2 channel rig about a year ago. I used with a modded cd player only and was blown away by the sound quality. It was a very satisfying setup. I will do it again for music, as soon as i snag a pair of 1.2's. :D
    Take Care Ben,
    ScottIE
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Options
    On another note, i really enjoy movies at home on a 10.5 screen, 9 speakers, with about 2700 watts of power behind them.:eek:
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I here ya I'm running 3250 watts rms all adcom(GFA-585, GFA-555, GFA-7500, and GFA-5400, and when I have the SB's hooked up an do enjoy that very much also. Well I have to put the kids to bed. Goodnight
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I originally bought a RTi 7 channel setup to begin with and came to my senses that my room wasn't large enough to support it. If I had the room for it, I'd definetly have a 7.1 setup! Someday I will have a dedicated room for HT.:rolleyes:

Like you said, I guitly admit using the classic "there isn't much 7.1 material" line to justify getting rid of my extra speakers.:o

For those of you with the proper room and placement of a 7.1, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm jealous.:o

Mike
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited January 2007
    Options
    2.1 all the way :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I don't recall too many "useless" comments about ES/EX setups, just that it takes a longer/dedicated room to get the most out of them. This most always included the issue of $$$ being spent on 5 great speakers being better than 6/7 poorer quality models, and the same was said of amplification.

Hence, a great 5.1 rig beats a poor 7.1 rig every time.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Dennis, your right on.

Sid, just what till you get a house and not confined to a small bedroom. My first house i had three seperate setups.;) Really.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I love 7.1, 6.1, whatever.1 you want to call it. Sure the backs aren't discrete but that doesn't prevent stuff flying from the front of the room crashing into the back wall. That just doesn't happen in 5.1.
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    wallstreet wrote:
    I love 7.1, 6.1, whatever.1 you want to call it. Sure the backs aren't discrete but that doesn't prevent stuff flying from the front of the room crashing into the back wall. That just doesn't happen in 5.1.
    Try your fx-1000's as rear speakers. They look like they would be great rear speakers. Set your rig to 5.1, and then tell us "That just doesn't happen with 5.1". I bet you would be pleasantly surprised. All the info for the front to back transition is still there. I'm not saying your system doesn't work as you say, but to say "That just doesn't happen with 5.1" is ludicrous. It would be like saying that when you listen to The Cars "Moving in Stereo" his voice doesn't travel smoothley from the left to the right becuse you don't have a center speaker. Me personally I don't like have a speaker just to the left or the right unless I am in the center of the room. Seeing my listening area is only 12 feet wide someone is going to be too close to the sides speakers. Also in a lot of setups that I have seen the speakers that are used as "surrounds" are placed too high which is unatural, or to close to you which throws of the imaging.
    PS can I borrow your fx-1000's I would love to try them out.

Enjoy
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Interesting how this 2 channel vs. 5/6/7.1 discussion shows up so often.

It is so simple.

2 channel is meant for material recorded in 2 channels (AKA: Music); 2.1 would add a sub, and I've tried a few combinations and never liked it. I prefer a full range speaker (It very well could be the fact that blending a sub for music is not an easy task, and maybe I've not been able to do it well).

Multi channel is meant for material recorded in multi channel (AKA: movies, SACD....). This is the way these materials sound their best. if you choose 5,6 or 7 speakers it depends on your room, budget. IMO a godd 5.1 setting can sound better than a so-so 7.1 setting. I have 7.1 and depending on the material it might sound great, or just as good as in 5.1.

What I will never understand is why some people say that they like to listen to multi channel material with two speakers. It's like buying a high end SACD player, only SACD's, and use two speakers; you would be missing so much. Same with DD or DTS movies through two speakers :confused::confused:

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Schwingding
    Schwingding Posts: 363
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I suspect this has a lot to do with individual setups, and listening environments.

Me, for example - my surrounds are behind me, on a perimeter circle drawn around the listener as center point. This is because I mainly listen to multichannel audio. From that standpoint, putting additional speakers behind speakers that are already behind me doesn't add to my experience, and I rarely hear the rears engaged because I don't like PLIIX, nor any of those DSP programs, but prefer the audio tracks direct from the player, plus bass mgmt. Occasionally I hear a helicopter behind me or something, but my point is that I wouldn't miss them if they were removed, and 2 weeks later, would barely remember them.
    HT/music rig
    Panasonic PX60U 50" plasma
    Yamaha 5990 AVR
    Onix SP3 tube amp
    bunch of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
    DUAL SVS PB12+/2 subs :eek:
    Denon 3910 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
    DirecTV HR10-250 DVR
    Onix Strata Mini mains
    Mirage OM10 surrounds
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk SC80 rear surrounds
    Samsung BDP1000 blu-ray player

Bedroom rig
    Jolida SJ302a tube amp
    Denon 2910 universal player
    Onix Ref 1 monitors
    Velodyne minivee
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Options
    We got off track,
    I was just trying to clarify that thier is false info in saying that 6/7.1 speakers are only used on the few DTSES tracks. They are matrixed in the side surrounds and used all the same. You simply get a more 360 surround feild. My recievers are not set to DSP's or PLII. When you set your reciever up for the rear surrounds, its setup for sound.
    When you go to the theater and they have 16.1, the other 11 speakers are working. Thier not useless.................
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2007
    Options
    If it feels good ... do it ...
    I don't know about feeling good, but looks good and sounds good.:p
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited January 2007
    Options
    7.1 Question for all those reading, what formula do you use for separation of the rears? I have read some keep them 3 ft apart or less as per THX spec, some do equilateral triangle like the fronts, and some do 1.2 x distance to rear wall. Just wondering where everyone falls between these three.

Also, how much info does actually get sent to the rear surrounds using PLIIx? I am upgrading my surrounds and am not sure if it is worth it to upgrade the rears. I currently do not have a pre that can do PLIIx, and was planning on upgrading that in the next 6 months or so; perhaps once the new Dolby and DTS formats settle in.

Jared
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Gaara wrote:
    7.1 Question for all those reading, what formula do you use for separation of the rears? I have read some keep them 3 ft apart or less as per THX spec, some do equilateral triangle like the fronts, and some do 1.2 x distance to rear wall. Just wondering where everyone falls between these three.

Also, how much info does actually get sent to the rear surrounds using PLIIx? I am upgrading my surrounds and am not sure if it is worth it to upgrade the rears. I currently do not have a pre that can do PLIIx, and was planning on upgrading that in the next 6 months or so; perhaps once the new Dolby and DTS formats settle in.

Jared
    Good question. I'm in the planning stages of an entertainment/theater room and would love to try a 7.1 set up.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Gaara wrote:
    7.1 Question for all those reading, what formula do you use for separation of the rears?
    I have an in-wall air conditioner in the middle of the back wall under a window. So my formula is: 1 air conditioner width :D
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70