Z06 Killer...Hype or Truth?

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
I just got my Motor Trend magazine for February. On the front page is the new Viper, discussed in the article Bite Me. It's tauted as the 'Z06 Killer', sporting 600HP and who knows what all else.

A quick cursory scan reveals the article, obviously, compares the new 2008 Viper with the Z06......and the Mustang Shelby GT500. I'm a little miffed at that. Why even mention the GT500? Sure, it packs 500hp...but that's the ONLY performance figure it can produce that compares to those of the Viper and Z06. The GT500 is totally outclassed, in my honest opinion.

I haven't read the article yet, but you can be sure I'll be posting my thoughts when I have.
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited January 2007
    They can try all they want, but nothing, and I mean nothing comes close to the performance/price ratio, the look, of the Vette. There's a few wanna be's that keep trying but just can't cut it. The only true American muscle car that has all others wimpering in defeat.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited January 2007
    Well let me give you my thought on this since I have one of those badass C6 Z06's......The new 2008 Viper is reported to have 600 HP with an estimated 3400 lbs....No doubt a very fast car but one of the most important factors is that the Z06 is lighter and also remember is the HP to weight ratio....They should be just about the same and also the gearing....these two things will be the most important.We will have to wait for the Viper to come out and see what times it produces....Magazine times are ok but wait till they are in the hands of owners who track them...that is when you will see the best possible times.So far the best 1/4 mile time for a stock Z06 with drag radials is 10.85 @ 129.5......Oh wait till the 6.2 liter Supercharged Vette comes out next year....with about 650 HP......my garage will be waiting.
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2007
    In looks alone the Vette is so much better than the Viper and Mudstain GT500.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2007
    And i do not want to know what that new Viper retails for.............
    Yes i do..............:eek:
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2007
    I love the look of the viper, but it is so much more expensive than the vette now, I would have a hard time calling it a vette killer.

You could get a Z06 and a nice winter car for the price of the viper. Both are performance cars for sure, but you could just as easy say a lambo or ferarri is consider a vette killer. (and I am not overly sure that would be true even without price being taken into consideration.)

For current production price/performance - I would say under 35k mustang is where its at. Under 75k - the Vette is all over it.

Michael

Edit - from Cars direct site - couldnt find a 07 viper but in 06 it was like this:

MSRP: $81,895 - $83,145
    Invoice: $74,592 - $75,704

Z06 '06 to keep it fair is like this:

MSRP: $65,690
    Invoice: $60,174

With the Z06 you have about $16,000 to put twords mods, track days - whatever. (or a decent winter car). I just don't see them competing for the same buyer generally.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2007
    Until the Camaro and Challenger hit the market.;)
  • GaryZ06
    edited January 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    but you could just as easy say a lambo or ferarri is consider a vette killer. (and I am not overly sure that would be true even without price being taken into consideration.)

Michael
    I have seen real life races between Lamborghini's and Ferrari's vs. the Z06 and believe me they are no Z06 killers...at all..:D
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    GaryZ06 wrote:
    I have seen real life races between Lamborghini's and Ferrari's vs. the Z06 and believe me they are no Z06 killers...at all..:D
    Not even the least bit biased...are we?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2007
    No, hu-uh. Us Chevy fans are never biased.

:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • GaryZ06
    edited January 2007
    shack wrote:
    Not even the least bit biased...are we?
    Biased....maybe......do you have any real life experiences with these cars to base your assumption on?....I do :D
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    I've got a friend in Austin with a hot rod Lancer Evo that will literally spank Z06's, I've seen him do it.

There's always something faster.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    There's always something faster.
    Yup. Just like there's always something that sounds better.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • GaryZ06
    edited January 2007
    Stock vs. Stock
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2007
    The GT500 has enormous potential with that forged bottom end.

JDM's dyno'd at 599rwhp with a pulley, air intake and exhaust.

The Evolution Performance GT500 ran 9.96 @ 141.45. (664 RWHP @778RWTQ)

As always, speed is just $$$ away.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    No, hu-uh. Us Chevy fans are never biased.

:D
    says the guy who drives a dodge?:confused:
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited January 2007
    I actually wrote a paper about the Z06 (Got an A and yes, we still write papers about cars in college - we just use bigger words :) ) I did some research on the car and, not many cars at all beat it.

It's the 8th fastest stock car on the nurburring.
    It's one of the fastest stock 0-60 (3.7s)falling under such cars as the Ferrari F-50 (only .05 second away)

A Viper kill it? Maybe - if it has the name Hennessey . Put that amount in a Z06, not many cars in the world can compare.

Ok, so a biased post. I could care less, my blood is Chevy Red.

EDIT: Added links

Nurburing Times
    0-60 times

EDIT #2: Added the final nail in the coffin - Z06s can be had under $60,000
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2007
    ledhed wrote:
    I actually wrote a paper about the Z06 (Got an A and yes, we still write papers about cars in college - we just use bigger words :) ) I did some research on the car and, not many cars at all beat it.

It's the 8th fastest stock car on the nurburring.
    It's one of the fastest stock 0-60 (3.7s)falling under such cars as the Ferrari F-50 (only .05 second away)

A Viper kill it? Maybe - if it has the name Hennessey . Put that amount in a Z06, not many cars in the world can compare.

Ok, so a biased post. I could care less, my blood is Chevy Red.

EDIT: Added links

Nurburing Times
    0-60 times

EDIT #2: Added the final nail in the coffin - Z06s can be had under $60,000
    You wrote a paper on it? Awesome. And you referrence its performance on the Nurburgring; smart.

Reminds me of my post a while back. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=363546&postcount=36
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ledhed
    edited January 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    You wrote a paper on it? Awesome. And you referrence its performance on the Nurburgring; smart.

Reminds me of my post a while back. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=363546&postcount=36

Yup, actually the only paper I got an A on in that class. I miss the easy high School AP courses in which an A is nothing.

Back on track: Let the new Viper go against the Z06R, Corvette SS, Blue Devil or whatever they call it. 100 more horses, weighs about the same as Pontiac Solstice. $90K so it's in the Viper's price bracket.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • ledhed
    edited January 2007
    So, I was looking through my Motor trend that came today and noticed the new Viper shares many characteristics with the old C5 Corvette that debuted in 1997: Individual coil packs, "Air-gap" exhaust manifold/headers (MT used the words "Headers" - I doubt that) It even gained the blah, one color interior of the C5! Maybe the Viper should be competing with it instead:D:p
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    GaryZ06 wrote:
    Biased....maybe......do you have any real life experiences with these cars to base your assumption on?....I do :D

What assumption did I make? Just that you have a Z06 bias.

Have I driven a ZO6? No. A Ferrari 360 Modena? Yes. A Lamborghini Countach? Yes. Porsche 911 twin-turbo, 427 Cobra, 69 Ram Air V GTO, Ford GT and numerous other exotic and muscle cars? Yes.

Besides being a car nut for 40 years, I am fortunate to have clients who can afford many of these nice toys and since I'm kind enough to lend them money to buy them, the let me play with them from time to time. I got my drivers license during the height of the CI wars and drove and rode in 426 Hemi Mopars, 454 Chevys, 428 Fords, 455 TAs. I know cars.

I never said anything negative about the Z06, just that you are a bit biased...which you are. No offense intended.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2007
    I'm a Corvette fan- In my 22 years of having a driver's liscense, I've only been Vette-less for 2 of those years- so maybe I'm biased too. BUT, I'm also a certifiable car nut. I've driven lots of cars, worked on lots of cars and watched lots of races. I'm not so brand-loyal that I can't recognize a good Dodge, or Ford, or Honda, or whatever. One thing you learn, is that there IS always something faster. Speed is easy, if you've got the $$. I think you have to look at cars as the whole package and in that respect, the C6 Z06 is very, very hard to beat.

If we start talking modified cars, well then yeah, you can build something faster. With a Viper's engine, it wouldn't be terribly hard to eek out 800hp- Hennessey makes about 1000hp. LPE will gladly build you a 725hp C6, for $50k, that'll still get 25mpg on the highway if you can be content to cruise along at 70mph, and have a 3yr/36K warranty. There's always something faster.

But whole package, stock car, with price factored in= Give me a Z06. Plus, you know, it's a Corvette!, the best car ever.;)
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    Z06 '06 to keep it fair is like this:

MSRP: $65,690
    Invoice: $60,174
    At that price point it is really hard, nearly impossible to pass on M3 (MSRP: $48,900, Invoice: $44,680).
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2007
    Factoid:
    The C6 Corvette Z06 is the first 500+ hp production car to avoid the US government Gas Guzzler tax.
  • GaryZ06
    edited January 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    Factoid:
    The C6 Corvette Z06 is the first 500+ hp production car to avoid the US government Gas Guzzler tax.
    Not the way I drive it....:eek:
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    Factoid:
    Did they avoid it or did they actually meet the standards and pass?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • GaryZ06
    edited January 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    Did they avoid it or did they actually meet the standards and pass?
    -Cody
    Yes they actually passed
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2007
    I'll race any one of ya...on the course of my choice.:D
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    Frank Z wrote:
    I'll race any one of ya...on the course of my choice.:D

A frozen over lake? That'd be interesting ;)
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2007
    Sure, I got 4wd.:D
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2007
    GaryZ06 wrote:
    So far the best 1/4 mile time for a stock Z06 with drag radials is 10.85 @ 129.5..

OK, let's be serious. If I'm going to spend $60k + on a performance car, I'm going to have one that manages to get out of its own way. The things a pig if you want real performance. Not bad if you just want to look cool driving between bars and places you think you need to be seen. It's a safe ride for the people that want to go to track day and pretend to be someone and maybe soil their tighty-whiteys a little bit. In the late '70's I had motorcycles that would blow that lead-sled off the road. Don't get me wrong, I've had a few Vette's and I like them. Depends on what you want a car to do, but if you are wanting it for performance for that kind of money I would start with something else and build it right. If you want real performance strap yourself in an alchohol burning 650 hp winged sprinter and hit 150 mph on the dirt 1/2 mile oval.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC