iPod Nano help

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
I bought my daughter a Nano but I cannot figure out how to transfer songs from my computer to the iPod without having to disconnect it from the computer and then plug it back in to update it.

While this iPod is really cool their instructions SUCK at how to use it all.

I'm going back to the Apple store tomorrow and get me one, I had no idea how cool these things really are. Get this, inside the glove box of my MINI there's a port to plug in the ipod, a factory installed one.
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• Sansui
    Sansui Posts: 372
    edited January 2007
    Ron-P wrote:
    I bought my daughter a Nano but I cannot figure out how to transfer songs from my computer to the iPod without having to disconnect it from the computer and then plug it back in to update it.
    This is how I do it. First of all, I've never used the Itunes store so I can't help you there. All the songs I transfer are either what I've recorded off streaming radio and edited or ripped from my CD's. I only use .mp3 and .wav files. I don't know if any other formats work or not.

When your Nano is plugged in and Itunes is loaded and ready to go, on the left hand side click on (in this example) the line that says "Ron-P". You should get a listing of the songs that you've loaded into your Nano so far. Now go to a window that has a directory listing of the songs you want to transfer to your Nano. Left mouse click on the song you want to transfer and hold down the button and drag it over to the "Ron-P" line and let go of the button. The top window in Itunes should be telling you that the file is transferring and, of course, when it's complete.

When you've transferred all the songs you want to don't forget to left mouse click the icon at the very bottom and all the way to the right of the Itunes window! That will "eject" the Nano. If you did it correctly, in the big part of the Itunes window all the songs that were listed will be gone and the "sub sections" below the "Ron-P" line in the left hand column will have disappeared. It's OK to unplug the Nano now, you're done.
    While this iPod is really cool their instructions SUCK at how to use it all.
    Tell me! Wait until you try to figure out how to delete a song you've loaded into your Nano! Then you'll put *'s on either side of SUCK!

Hope this helps!
    Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    Sansui wrote:
    Wait until you try to figure out how to delete a song you've loaded into your Nano!
    Ooh, glad you brought that up. How do you delete a song off your iPod? I haven't figured that one out yet. Obviously if you've enabled auto-sync and you delete it from your computer it will delete it...but outside of that...how do you?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2007
    Here you go again. Read to your heart's content. I even recommend downloading their free guide to the Ipod.

http://forums.ilounge.com/
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    Holydoc wrote:
    Here you go again. Read to your heart's content. I even recommend downloading their free guide to the Ipod.

http://forums.ilounge.com/
    Hahaha, thanks. I think I'll check it out more thoroughly this time.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Sansui
    edited January 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    Ooh, glad you brought that up. How do you delete a song off your iPod? I haven't figured that one out yet. Obviously if you've enabled auto-sync and you delete it from your computer it will delete it...but outside of that...how do you?

Using IBM platform here...

I don't auto-sync anything. As soon as I do that I'm sure I'll screw things up. :eek: In Itunes, highlight the song(s) you want to remove, hit the Delete key, click on the "Yes" button.

• Sansui
    edited January 2007
    Holydoc wrote:

Maybe you can help out a friend of mine. I came across some information and can't find it again.

The first gen Nano's had a problem with people trying to load pics into it. I tried for hours and couldn't.

I ran across this bit of info stating that I need to go in and check my registry to see if it was missing something. It was, I added it, and from then on I can load pics into it with no problem.

I've looked for my hardcopy or the link and I can't find either. I'm sure I didn't get it from Ilounge because I checked my posts I left there and the info wasn't in the replies. All the "genius" at the Apple store could do was test it on a Mac and told me it was working properly.

Know what I'm talking about?

• Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2007
    Sansui,

Sorry, you got me there. I have only dealt with the latest Nano's and 5th Gen Ipods. No registry mods and that got most of the kinks out of those type of things.

:)
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • Sansui
    edited January 2007
    Holydoc wrote:
    Sansui,

Sorry, you got me there. I have only dealt with the latest Nano's and 5th Gen Ipods. No registry mods and that got most of the kinks out of those type of things.

:)
    Drat!! I guess they fixed that on new versions of the install CDs. :(