Quick n00b Q:Whats the best way to connect speakers? S

ecsevo705
ecsevo705 Posts: 9
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
My speakers keep cutting out, both at once in the front doors. Would soldering the connections solve this problem? I have re done the existing connections numerous times but it only last for about a day then they cut out. Any suggestions are welcome
thanks
Post edited by ecsevo705 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    Since both speakers are cutting out, its not a problem with them.

First things to check are make sure there are no freyed ends of wire on one terminal touching the opposite terminals. Check both the speakers and the amp.

Are you re-wiring them with new wire? If not, your wires could be shorting out on something under the carpet like a nail or whatever.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited January 2007
    If your speakers are a tight fit where you mounted them, you should also look to see that the terminals on the backs of them are not touching (grounding) anything metal on the car.

That will cause them to short, possibly ruining your amp or head unit. If the terminals are remotely near metal where mounted, put some heat shrink tubing over the offending part of the terminals to keep them from grounding to chassis.
  • ecsevo705
    ecsevo705 Posts: 9
    edited January 2007
    yes I plan to solder them tommorow and cover the area with heat shrink tubing. Does it matter if the magnet or actauly speaker is touching or close to metal? I didnt think so, just checking..
    thanks
    erik