loose faceplate??

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited July 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
We have a JVC CD player with removeable faceplate. It will be two years old this Oct. The face had been off a TOTAL of maybe 10 times up until a month ago. It is 40wpc and we have no additional amp. (model # is escaping me at the moment... 555 or 575 or something similar - not high in the line).

Started by having this terrible rumbling sound in the left side - assumed I'd blown the outputs. Then, next day.. its fine. Then lost the left side.. then it was back, then it rumbled... then the unit would turn on and off by itself... anyway, the problem seems to be that the faceplate is no longer stationary. I can wiggle it when the unit is working and create the different kinds of problems we've had. Seems to have a harder time holding on to the left channel with CD.. can lose it, switch to FM, and have it back, switch back to CD, no left. Sometimes the unit won't come on at all (until you wiggle the face), sometimes it comes on perfectly and then you hit a bump and you get any one of the variety of problems I've described.

I am going to have the installer take a look, but I just wanted to check here and see if anyone recognizes this problem. I can't see any broken clips or anything like that, and it just started happening one day. I can't see paying much for repair over just getting a new unit. Installer said that head has been trouble-free (lucky me)....