Infinity Perfect 10.1 enclosure question?

Polkemon
Polkemon Posts: 144
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I received my enclosure from Crutchfield today and was unaware that it did not come with the Poly-fill that the Infinity paplet says to use 1" in a .60 sealed box on all sides.

Is this nesceary or not and what would happen if I did not add this?

I have seen products from companys like Dynamat and Cascade Audio like deflex pads and lining the inside with matting.
Is this nesceary or not?

I want the best SQ with the best hit so please let me no what I should do to the raw inside of my box before droping the sub in.

Thanks
Donny
NEWEST RIDE:
2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
Supercharger Pully Upgrade
Air Intake
Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
Front Doors POLK sr6500
Amp front JL 450/4
Amp Sub JL 500/1
Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
Post edited by Polkemon on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    Just run down to Walmart and grab you a bag for $2 and try it without any in and then add as you think it sounds best. It slows down the waves inside the box making it act like its in a bigger enclosure and keeps it from interacting from the sub itself.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited January 2007
    It's worth sealing the inside of the box, too (for a sealed enclosure).

Grab some silicone caulk and go around every joint inside the enclosure, but wait for a day or so for the acid that keeps the caulk liquid to gas out (as it's corrosive and can soften/damage surrounds).

Most pre-made enclosures are glued and stapled, and not too carefully at that. An air leak in a sealed box can make your sub sound less than good.

As for the polyfill, as Mac said, it tricks the woofer into thinking it's in a larger enclosure. That will reduce cancellation and even out some frequency humps due to the compact size of the box, possibly giving you some more low-end extension in the process.