Mother of the Year: 2007

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
Toddler Found Playing On Interstate

3-Year-Old Wandered From Home To Indiana's Interstate 465 While Mother Napped

AP) Drivers swerved cars and trucks into other lanes to avoid a 3-year-old boy, wearing only a diaper and T-shirt, who was playing along a busy highway after wandering away from home while his mother slept, police said.

Some motorists stopped along Interstate 465 on the city's west side Saturday to take care of the boy until officers arrived, the Indiana State Police said.

“I looked up and I seen this little ... boy running down the middle of the slow lane in the interstate. I just could not believe what I was seeing,” said Troy Crady, one of those who stopped to help.

The boy, Damon Dyer, was unscathed as at least a half-dozen cars and a tractor-trailer rig swerved into other lanes to avoid him. Temperatures were in the mid 50s as the boy ran around barefooted.

Police said they traced the toddler to an apartment at a nearby complex, where they found his mother, Nancy Dyer asleep in a filthy apartment and his 2-year-old sister eating spaghetti off the floor.

Dyer, 33, was arrested on two counts of child neglect and remained in custody Sunday, officials said.

Senior State Trooper Cedric Merritt said that when Dyer was told of her son's activities, she responded: “Oh, he got out again.”

Investigators said the boy got out his second-story apartment, went down stairs and got around a fence to reach the highway about 200 yards away.

Child Protective Services took the boy and his sister into custody, and investigators said the agency also had been called to the apartment Thursday because the boy was outside unsupervised.

“I looked up and I seen this little... boy running down the middle of the slow lane in the interstate. I just could not believe what I was seeing.” - Troy Crady, motorist

Link
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Hopefully she will be relinquishing the title soon if (as they should) they make her ineligible by taking the kids away and making her an EX mother. Unfortunately they can't do anything about her ability to continue to reproduce. :(
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited January 2007
    Another example of a generation that is failing it's children.:rolleyes:

It's sad to say that this example is actually pretty benign when compared to what other children are going through in this Great Nation. We had better get a handle on this **** before it's too late and we lose a great many of our youth to crime, drugs/alcohol, or death.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited January 2007
    What bugs me is that 1/2 a dozen drivers nearly hit the kid. The first driver who noticed the poor child should have stopped to help...I know I would have.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    "Oh, he got out again."

Wow. It amazes me that the population is actually growing.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited January 2007
    If this had been a one time lapse of judgement that would at lease be understandable (note I didn't say acceptable), but the filthy apartment and the kid eating off the floor establishes a repeated pattern of behavior.

I say she should either be nuetered or locked away in prison for the rest of her life, or both.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited January 2007
    Man for like 2 bucks you can get this deal that you put over the door knob, and you have to squeeze it in 2 places. My 3 year old can't open it, and yes I do live in a second story appartment as she did.I would die if I knew my toddler was running around on the highway. And as far as eating food off of the floor......NICE!
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    10639231_240X180.jpg

Well, this explains everything. Look at how purdy she is. :eek:
  • ND13
    edited January 2007
    crack ho!!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    ND13 wrote:
    crack ho!!

or meth mama... Either way those kids deserve better than her!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ND13
    edited January 2007
    shack wrote:
    or meth mama... Either way those kids deserve better than her!

Yes they do.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2007
    She had me at "Oh, he got out again?"....I'm in love.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.