Can one use a sub with 6 x 9's?

Jack from Indo
Jack from Indo Posts: 109
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
The pundits here where I live says you can't - system will sound like crap if you do. Is this true? I thought I read a post by McLeod mentioning doing it. McLeod, anybody? I got a friend who wants to buy my old sub but he is hesitant now because of what he's been told.
Post edited by Jack from Indo on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2007
    6x9's CAN be great sounding speakers if theyre well made which unfortunately most are not. But you get a set of $200 Alpine or Polk or Focal 6x9's and they will out do any round speaker in their price point. Round speakers generally sound better because theyre more rigid and can fend off distortion better but if the oval speaker is well built, there wont be any audible distortion so you get the same quality sound as a round speaker plus the benefit of better low frequency response.

So I guess its all depends on what equipment youre talking about. You run down to Autozone and get some $45 Rampage 6x9's and itll definitely sound like crap but you take a set of MMC690's and pair them with a MM2104 and Ill stack it up against anything else you could come up with for the same or even a little more money.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D