HD-DVD & Blu-Ray has a new friend....hackers.

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/01/technology/01hack.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 31 — An anonymous computer programmer may have skewed the competition over standards for high-definition DVD discs by possibly defeating a scheme that both sides use to protect digital content.......
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    Well that didn't take long.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2007
    "If the HD-DVD protection system has indeed been compromised, it was not immediately clear which camp would benefit most directly.

Some posters in Internet discussion groups have argued that the cracking of HD-DVD may increase the popularity of the system among consumers eager to make copies of movies they have purchased.

At the same time, a weakened encryption system could undermine studio support, causing some to turn to the Blu-ray technology instead and giving the Blu-ray group an advantage in offering a wider range of content."

HOPEFULLY this won't cause studios to switch camps. but i can easily see why it could. but all things become hackable sooner or later. so hopefully hd dvd will not become undermined.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    I see this only helping HD-DVD in the long run. The marketplace will beat the corporate world in that battle.
  • BIZILL
    edited January 2007
    especially when hd dvd burners and media are readily available. what a dreamworld we all would be in. i love high-def content!

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited January 2007
    All the more reason to wait and see before one takes the plunge

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2007
    How come its okay to copy so called crappy stuff? I wont be getting any of this video stuff for a long long time, kind of like an ent.

RT1
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited January 2007
    Almost anything can be reverse engineered and it was just a matter of time before it was broken, so i don't know why anyone would be surprised. If the studios change the encryption someone will just break it again! Software has been around a long time that will allow SD DVDs to be copied despite the studios attempt to fight the hackers. Frankly I think the studios are just crying wolf just like the record and movie industry cried about home tape recording! They claimed home recording would be the end of the world etc. yet the movie studios are making record profits on DVD sales! Heck, if these guys have their way they'll try to make it impossible to record TV shows..the best thing that ever happened to them was the invention of the VCR yet they fought it tooth and nail!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2007
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • BIZILL
    edited January 2007
    mutelight wrote:

our very own DOROKUSAI is ................MUSLIX64!!!

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2007
    There was a time when I was pretty smart but that was a very long time ago.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.