?? Which Tweeters are preferred ??

Options
Crispycircuit
Crispycircuit Posts: 49
edited January 2007 in Vintage Speakers
How would you describe each tweeters good and bad points? Likes and dislikes? I keep reading the SL2000 (Silver Coil) is bright, harsh, sizzily. Some tweeters have fuses to keep them from blowing. Silk domes are silky. If you have changed out your tweets to something else, how did it work out??.... Has anybody tried Solen Caps in the crossover?? All information and opinions appreciated......
Post edited by Crispycircuit on

Comments

• Toka78
    Toka78 Posts: 192
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I'll field this one...

Click "Search" and toss in the key phrases above (Solen, etc.). Its been discussed heavily.

Welcome to the forum!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Welcome; what speakers are you specifically talking about?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I've been wondering (and reading about) those same exact questions myself for my Monitor 10B's! I agree...do some searches and it will yield good results. And, you'll get some friendly replies along the way too, I'm sure!

I did notice that on my crossover network, there is one yellow Poly cap but the other 3 are electrolytic caps. There is also a very small coil. Definitely work upgrading the wiring and crossovers internally, I believe.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited January 2007
    Options
    there is one yellow Poly cap

That's a mylar.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Crispycircuit
    edited January 2007
    Options
    My modest set up includes Monitor 5s (w/passive radiator). I have a hide out in the basement to escape to for some man time. It's a medium size area so big speaker tend to be too much. Anyway, my 5s have the 6502 woofs and SL2000 tweet. I been seaching the archives and enjoying everyones opinions and likes... If some simply mods help improve these old speakers than I'm willing to have some fun experimenting... This is just a hobby for me and not a conquest... Have mercy guys.....
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2007
    Options
    not to get off subject, but your name "crispycircuit" just makes me cringe every time I see it..!!

Carry on gents, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain....
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2007
    Options
    upgrade those SL2000 tweeters to the currently replacement. that will add a little bit more niceness to the upper sound.. not as harsh. tell them you are a Club Polk member when you order them.. for a discount. that's what i would do.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Crispycircuit
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Since I'm still learning part numbers, are you referring to the RD 0198 tweeter? Or parts service will know what I need. I like know part numbers in case some come up for sale.... Crispycircuit name? I work on tube gear and I have repaired some burnt up units, especially guitar amps. You can tell right away by the smell of the amp if it's ever been or has have a major circuit failure. Burnt trannys really stink. So if your ever buying tube gear, sniff it like a dog..... Ok, I set you guys, jump on...........ride the Crispycircuit....
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk! The replacement for the SL2000 is the RDO-194. Do you have a little tuber to power those M5's?

Welcome!
    Carl

• Crispycircuit
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the info and the kind greeting. I'll get the hang of this. .... I repair tube gear and get a fair amount of vintage amps thru here. I like to run the tube gear for hours after a repair to make sure everything is settled in (bias, voltages, tube noise, scratchy controls,etc.) ... I've converted some old organ amps that sound great and are built to run for days. For small integreteds the Scotts are excellent. I actually enjoy tone controls for different speakers, different sources, bad recordings, they make the music enjoyable and to YOUR liking.... Anyway, tube gear sounds great, is very repairable, and holds it's value. ... So I use Harmon Kardon HK5 amp/chassis/ trannys with a Williamson circuit for my main system. I also use my AR 11s, EV Sentry 100a monitors. As I buy, sell, trade my family & friends think I'm nuts! I just enjoy it.... As the part time repair business finances this nasty affliction......