Ford Escape Hybrid.....

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hello

Was wondering if anybody here owned that vehicle or been around one? We've been thinking about getting one, so if somebody here has one maybe you could tell us how you like it.....

Thanks!!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    As I understand the hybrid technology....most of the savings comes during stop and go city driving. With long distance or highway driving the savings are minimal. How much in town driving do you do out there in Montana? I could be wrong, but it's what I've heard.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited January 2007
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    That's what I've heard as well. Also, Consumer Reports informed me that the average MPG for a hybrid vehicle is about 60% of what they rate it at... so take it with a grain of salt.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited January 2007
    Depending on your situation you might want to consider holding out for a while. There has been recent talks of Ford trying to form a deal with Toyota to attain their hybrid technology.

Not sure if you have spent much time researching or driving hybrids but from my POV, and experience Toyota definitely has a commanding lead in the category.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    What you guys heard sounds right to me. Since the battery system is so small the vehicle can't be power very long, (some in the range of FEET) most are designed for up to 5 or so mph. After that is needs more power from the Gas engine, Toyota is about the same so I don't think Ford will be any better with their input. A side note some people in the world have modified the Toyota Pirus for a larger battery and modified the system controller for longer battery use. This is given them something like 60 mile range at 60 mph, before recharge. It's what a Hybrid should have been designed for, this semi Hybrid SUCK BIG TIME.... IMHO

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    If you like the idea of hybrids, even if they're not perfected it's a good thing to buy one to "support" the technology. So even with the above caveats, if it's something you feel strongly about, go for it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2007
    I think they can be perfected, I just think the Oil company's mouth are in the Car company's ears. No way todays Hybrid should work like they do today.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited January 2007
    I would check to see what kind of warranty the battery bank has.

I've heard that Ford does not back the battery,and "if" they need replaced,can be very pricey...

Now,this is just "hearsay" so take it FWIW
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited January 2007
    Avoid at all costs. Not because it is a hybrid, but because it is an Escape. My mother in law works for Ford and is a Ford die hard. Even she says stay away from the Escape, it is a POS.

The next generation Toyota Prius is rated to have 113 mpg with new battery technology. Honda is bringing their 4 and 6 cylinder clean deisel engines to the U.S. in the 08 and 09 models. They are also developing Hybrid deisels. It may be best to wait.
    Venom
  • shack
    edited January 2007
    Make sure you know why you are getting a hybrid. Gas would have to get closer to $5.00 a gallon before you make up the increased price of the vehicle over it's nomal life. As others have said, battery life also is an issue. There is no clear data as to how long they last and they are expensive to replace. If you are doing it because you are a "green" sort of guy, now may be the time. I you want to save money, the technology isn't cheap enough and gas isn't high enough to make it economically viable at this time.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2007
    venomclan wrote:
    The next generation Toyota Prius is rated to have 113 mpg with new battery technology.

Sounds like Toyota is listening to geeks who modified their Prius with larger batteries for increased run time. They are even side companies who will modify one for you for some green. I feel the same way Steve is talking about battery replacement cost and gasoline prices to justify a Hybrid right now. But if Toyota comes out with a car that could get 113 mpg which means to me Large battery's which could power car for 60 miles before gas engine needed to be running for the next 73 miles on a gallon. If that is true they are making a winner, as most people would use battery power only during a week of daily commute. When they returned home plug in for the next day, never using the gas engine for that week. If doing some further travel over that 60 miles then are relying on gas engine and are paying what ever for it.

Well maybe just a dream of mine who knows for sure?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    I would definitely choose a diesel over a hybrid; a diesel hybrid sounds pretty neat, too, but honestly, I haven't seen near enough benefits from hybrids to begin to warrant the extra cost and complexity.

Thanks for that info, venomclan; can't wait to read reviews of those new Hondas!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited January 2007
    There's a ton of research out there - we were seriously considering a Prius or Highlander Hybrid (we bought a normal Highlander - which has a lot less emissions than all the other makes/models we were looking at). Just start searching and make sure you read reviews and articles that are both pro and con so you get a good discussion from both sides.

The EPA is changing how they rate MPG on all cars this year (to reflect more how people actually drive), although the hybrids will take the biggest reduction. I just saw an article that said something like Toyota's will take the least reduction in MPG rating, while Honda was going to take a significant loss in MPG - I think that article was USA Today.

When comparing the hybrid vs. non-hybrid Highlander's - it was going to take 5 to 6 years to make up the price difference if gas was ~$4 a gallon.

If you're buying to save money - not a good idea. If you're buying for the environment, which is more of why we were looking - then it's a step in the right direction to support the technology to get us to the "real" gas saving systems that will come along in the future.

I have to admit - sitting in a Prius at a stop sign is an amazing experience... it doesn't sound like it's even on. If it had a decent stereo in it... it'd be nearly heavenly. :) (Note - we ruled out the Prius due to the snow we get around here...)

Other reasons we didn't buy a hybrid yet... still a new technology, our emergency technician type friends said they're still learning how to deal with those types of vehicles in crashes/emergencies (at the time they said everyone in all the smaller towns were starting to take classes and such - please take that comment with a grain of salt). The batteries appear to still be up in the air - what do you do with them once they're dead? Replacing them is a very costly issue (then again - what on a car anymore isn't a very costly issue? Everything on a new car seems to be a $500+ issue... )
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2007
    Batteries are not a $500 buck item, but more like a $2500-$4000 item. IMHO

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jkn
    edited January 2007
    I typed that badly... I've also heard that battery replacement is in the $4000 to $5000 range. I was trying to say that everything on a car anymore is easily $500 and often quite a bit more.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2007
    And keep in mind 30k Hybrid car, battery replacement $4600 (todays price) 4 years latter $4600 = $9000.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Systems
    edited January 2007
    Hello

Well thanks for all the info and feedback, I appreciate it. I guess we won't be taking the Hybrid route, at least for now anyway. I talked to the local dealer this morning and he didn't think it would work very well for the area we live in, plus their service shop isn't qualified to work on them anyway. They've never sold one and don't plan on it either for now.

He is getting a new Edge in sometime this month, so that might a possiblity also, its an all wheel drive, looks like it doesn't get to bad a mileage. My wife likes the look of it too and so do I. It sounds like its pretty much loaded, so I imagine it might be a little pricey, we'll see.......

I should add we're pretty much limited to Ford, Dodge and Chevy at those are the only dealers and service shops in the area....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2007
    One nice advantage of a hybrid that has not been mentioned is that they are tax deductible while your normal car payments are not.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited January 2007
    Sartori wrote:
    I should add we're pretty much limited to Ford, Dodge and Chevy as those are the only dealers and service shops in the area....

Those are some poor options...
    Been there, never again for me. (Even with my family working for Ford and Dodge)
    Venom
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2007
    Sartori wrote:

I should add we're pretty much limited to Ford, Dodge and Chevy at those are the only dealers and service shops in the area....

They may be the only dealers around you, do to the heavy service department business needs. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Systems
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, well we live in a very rural area out here, so we're a little limited to our options.... I don't think alot of city folk really understand what rural means or have a grasp on the concept...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    Ahh, don't worry about it. Just grab you a Chevy and call it a day. You can thank me later.

Yes, I'm a Chevy man.

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • jkn
    edited January 2007
    I've never been to Montana - but if it's anything close to rural like North Dakota is... I can see exactly what you mean. I've lived in "rural" Illinois in a town of <1,000, but that was still only 45 minutes from a town of 100,000+.
  • shack
    edited January 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    Ahh, don't worry about it. Just grab you a Chevy and call it a day. You can thank me later.

Yes, I'm a Chevy man.

:D

This is of course a good plan if you want to get to know the service manager at the Chevy dealership real well.

• disneyjoe7
    edited January 2007
    Of course you could just buy a Toyota or Honda and change the oil every now and then. Then just wave at the Chevy dealer.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer