Parasound SCAMP

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
My buddy brought my turntable, he was storing for me, over to my new house today and as a house warming gift he gave me a new Parasound Scamp (signal controlled amplifier power).

My wife and I (you heard me right, she is loving doing this too) have been setting up and connecting my rig tonight. We are having a great time doing it too. I gotta tell you strapping the two Adcom 565 mono blocks with 12 gauge hook up wire is a real pain in the bottom. I haven't even strapped the chasis yet, that is going to be a real hassle. I also have the old Monster Cable Powerline 2 Time Coherent speaker cable which is a little bigger in gauge and has some kind of dielectric running up the middle of each intricately twisted conductor. That too was a real pain in the keister to connect up. Man they use some real crappy binding posts that are way too close together and don't open far enough. I remember loving do this stuff years ago. . . my wife has reminded me that I am about 45 to 50 lbs heavier than I was back then. . . I guess I'm just a big lug now and can't seem to move as well. . . I think I'll start doing something about that January 2nd but until then LET THE EATING CONTINUE!!!

Anywhoooo I don't know if I'm just exhausted and bleery eyed or what but I have read the manual on the SCAMP a couple of three times and still don't know what the heck the thing is supposed to do. . .

. . . anyone have one or have experience with one?

Thanks,
Joe
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2006
    Its a 35 wpc zone amplifier. Some use it for powering other rooms in different parts of the house, external speakers on porches, etc.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    Its a 35 wpc zone amplifier. Some use it for powering other rooms in different parts of the house, external speakers on porches, etc.

Thanks Dennis, I still don't know what to do with it!!!:confused:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    http://www.parasound.com/vintage/scamp.php

"The Parasound SCAMP is designed to automatically power on virtually all the electronic equipment within your audio/video system. This makes it possible for single button operation to supply AC power to your entire system. SCAMP is extremely flexible and can be configured in a variety of ways. "

The posts on the Adbomb are an easy upgrade, buy a $15 Iron kit, $10 of high content silver soldier, and get your Cardas / WBT on.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    I think the Zamp is the zone amplifier. I believe the Scamp allows you to turn on your power amps when it senses a signal or current draw from you pre-amp. I was looking into one to turn on my two power amps when I turned on my pre-amp, however I realized that since my pre-amp doesn't remotely turn on my fat **** was going to be in the same place as the power amps turning the pre on, so I just continue to hit three power switches!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2006
    I phlunkt mie Pairasound alfabett test bigtime with my premature post didn't I.....thanks for the rescue posts guys!:D

I read Russ' post, and even just took a **** with the new Audio Advisor in hand with the V.3 Zamp listed and it still didn't hit me that I confused the two until dkg999 made it clear.:rolleyes: It must be late!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable